Only allow ghosts to be damaged by magic

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Hemswal The Descended, Dec 18, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Avatar

And I suppose that's sort of the point, isn't it? Pretty much all the bosses and mini bosses are immune to magic, so someone who is playing a wizard (basically) either gets to switch to healer or is forced to pull out melee weapons, thus negating the whole idea of being a wizard. Casters also have weird problems with mob immunity - ask any fire mage trying to kill fire elementals. Yet, melee classes don't appear to have this strong disadvantage, as others have pointed out. Where is the caster parity? Increased damage against mobs of opposing "types?" Or maybe melee classes should experience the same disadvantages that casters experience - such as the inability to hit certain mobs, like ghosts.

I wish the answer didn't sound like "nerfbat the melee people" but casters appear to be on the short end of the stick here. Parity would be nice.

Applerust and Stundorn like this.
  2. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

A system based on resistances of enemy types only works in group based games. SotA should have never taken that route to begin with as it has small content and your content even gets smaller when you can't kill half of the mobs ;) Resistances and also physical resistances when implemented needs a giant redesign. I doubt they could implement enough content to cope for the lack of options. Again since SotA is a one class system, just level all schools and you are set. I think the amount of people seeing how boring and uncreative that truly is is increasing by the day.

They need to make a design decision on how this game is going to be played. Not having that is the problem for years now in almost every aspect of the game ;)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    Silverti, Stundorn and Ajivani like this.
  3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Avatar

Since there are no "classes" I can imagine the answer to be "just level everything and be done with it - flexibility is key!" Now I am imagining future raids with this design trend in mind - 24 people against a humongous spider, 1 dude as main tank, an off tank, 8 archers, 8 stabby-in-the-butt types, and six healers... no reason to have any caster DPS at all. :( That doesn't sound "normal to the MMO genre" or fun at all.

Applerust and Stundorn like this.
  4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Try magic only, your experience is more worse.

Applerust and Ajivani like this.
  5. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

sorry but no... my name is Kabalyero not Mago... :D

Ajivani and Stundorn like this.
  6. sgl2586

sgl2586 Avatar

People should diversify their builds then to include some offensive magic - ghosts (to my recollection, which may be wrong) don't appear in early zones before a player could level/train some offensive magic : P

Since you wish to focus on Solo PVE content - how about the obsidian elementals in shardfalls? Oddly resistant buggers, or have you never tried? Could be a bug I will grant you, however with no way to indicate if the mob should be magic resistant, no way to know. Or perhaps shardfalls just aren't part of the story/resource gathering (even though by design its going to have a higher XP curve since PVP flagged, and obs elementals being a decent source of obsidian chips...). Perhaps the wizards should just not fight the obs elementals then? Except that seems to be the primary enemy in those zones other than stray crocodiles and some pissed off plants who green out at an earlier level than the elementals.

Ajivani likes this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Perhaps the solution isn't to give fighters the shaft but to give magic a better balance?

Basically what you're saying is everyone should have to play the same way by being forced to use magic. Granted the counter argument can be made everyone's forced to use physical weapons and that too should be addressed. Rather than forcing one group to fit into a mold, the effort should be made for both groups to be able to play how they like.

Though to be fair, should probably also point out that offline is intended to be played with companions.. who collectively are not limited to magic or no magic. One is ranged, one is melee and one is a magic user (or will be when they go in). While online has multi-player. The caveat there is the main story forces solo scenes. (offline companions not effected). But in some of those you have Samael.. who melees.

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

How about they drop ghost essence that is a crafting component;)

Applerust and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  9. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Avatar

This is precisely the problem I had last night - go into a PVP zone and discover that literally a third of the mobs that spawn are totally resistant to magic, and yet all of the mobs seems to be killable by melee. How is this supposed to be fair or consistent? Now if a third of the mobs were likewise immune to melee damage and required caster DPS, that would be fair...

Except that it wouldn't feel fair, since randomly having even zone trash mobs immune to your damage feels just bad or silly. The melee types that have spoken up already think this would suck pretty hard - well, that's life as a caster. It does suck, it feels punitive, and it feels unbalanced. I honestly don't want melee people to get smacked with the nerfbat. Casters need to have this looked at and addressed without the melee people getting hurt in the process. I'd prefer they just gave us Wratha Gawd nukes versus opposing mob types... people might complain about casters being OP under certain circumstances, but I can't hit a random selection of mobs in the game without blowing miles of XP in an opposing school of magic, that's the trade-off - hours and hours spent killing wolves, where melee types don't have to "double spend" in multiple trees to accomplish the same thing.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  10. Silverti

Silverti Avatar

Has magic even really become functional in the game for a pure class besides maybe death magic? I dont see a lot of people out doing every day PvE stuff without melee as a primary skill.

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Are you suggesting it should stay that way?

12. Silverti

Silverti Avatar

no, why would you just assume that?

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Why would you ask such a question in response to suggesting mages be made more viable?

Edit: Also it's not an assumption.. it's a question because I don't know why you're asking.

14. Bob Kelso2

Bob Kelso2 Avatar

A thosand times this lol

Applerust likes this.
  15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I don't like it.

16. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Avatar

It's possible because I do it, but when I group with melee types that are 10-15 levels below me with equivalently slightly less nice gear, I do equal-ish damage to them, which gives me a big sad (I realize this may be partly due to an ongoing known issue mentioned in the release instructions, where wands and whatnot are not balanced to melee weapons.) I am a water and air mage (weep for me) that recently caved and blew a ton of XP on fire-based skills because I felt I had basically no DPS options otherwise. Still, I feel kinda gimpy when I find equivalent level tanks killing the demon in Solania with ease, and offering me a pile of reaper heartwoods that they farmed and I cannot farm myself because those are "boss mobs" and therefore can't be Ice Field-kited to victory - nevermind that the reaper - an Earthy mob -- ignores most Air-based lightning damage, ye gods and little fishes... /shakes head This is just frustrating when you want to play a caster. If I have to pick up the entire wheel of magic eventually, so be it - annoying, but I'd also expect melee types to eventually have to pick up every weapon skill, too. The current design trend just seems punitive to casters for no reason.

17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

My expectation is magic will eventually come around.. hopefully sooner than later.. I've always been of the mind that magic should be a special thing.. so in some ways it irks me that everything is magic this.. magic that such that it becomes a pretty mundane thing.. but magic that is ineffective is even worse. Why have it at all then?

And personally.. Reapers should be pretty susceptible to lightning if you ask me. :) maybe even more so than fire. They should be easier to kill with magic than with melee imo. Ever try hitting a tree with a sword? It's really bad for the sword most of the time. :) But then, this is a multiplayer environment.. so ultimate point really.. is all types should be more or less equally powered.

I don't really have a problem with different mobs having different resistances.. just not to point where it's practically impossible to kill them.. One way being more viable than another is fine.. so long as the 'hard way' isn't unreasonable unviable. That's the trick.

Ajivani likes this.
  18. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

That's cool, I'm not. That's why I made this request on the wishlist sub forum. :)

Ajivani likes this.
  19. Hemswal The Descended

Ha! Ok fine. FINE. This is fine :) hahaha

20. Hemswal The Descended

Sure, I'm down with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.