Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Player Crafted Items are not better than Artifacts

Discussion in 'Release 49 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnownInGameAsGeorge

KnownInGameAsGeorge Avatar

Appears to me a good answer would be to salvage artifacts and get their enchantments.
    Put the enchantment into player items and wouldnt they become the most powerful?

2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Not really. You're still relying on the ability to farm bosses or spend hundreds of hours farmgrinding adventure scenes for a chance at a supply bag for a chance of not getting junk out of it, to get those artifacts to begin with. This does nothing to mitigate the reliance on the loot table as the source of gear rather than the gathering/crafting system, which is becoming more and more obsolete patch after patch. We've already seen things head in this direction with the "drop" recipes and "drop" components. What you suggest would be the final nail in the coffin for traditional crafting, I'm afraid. We need more value placed on the gathering/crafting system and the hours/days/weeks players invest in it, and less value placed on the "loot slot machine".

3. KnownInGameAsGeorge

As I understand it reliance on the loot table is the intention. I make no attempt to mitigate that, I see it as fine.

I am addressing the issue that player items are not as strong as artifacts.

As I understand it only basic noob items should be made from tier 1 materials like copper and iron. Eventually to make top end gear you will need toput a buy order in at a merchant for high end crafting materials.

Eventually things like mithril etc are to be released as ores and the crafting system as we know it will change again.

What you call traditional crafting is the unfinished beta crafting system and only had the bare bones of what was Iintended. It was always intended to be expanded. Later when higher quality mining is released copper etc is going to be even less desirable late game, they are intended to be low level materials. It is not a design flaw, it is just not finished being built.

I was under the impression the division of tasks was intentional and no one character is supposed to be able to make all stages of the item production process.

Like I say though, that is just my impression. It is hard to really know what the end game is going to look like. I expect the developers only have an outline themselves given how much has changed over time.

Elrond likes this.
  4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

That is impossible without caps or some limitations.
    This ship has sailed imho.

kaeshiva likes this.
  5. KnownInGameAsGeorge

You may be right. Maybe they will pull something out of nowhere and it will all be OK.
    I expect that is why they are currently talking about crafter xp loss in order to put some sort of cap that stops you mastering all crafting skills. At the moment the only big hurdle is how much time you have.

But what I am saying is that this is the intention. I have no idea if they will ever reach it. They may fail.

6. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Great thread. I don't agree with everone and you don't agree with each other but we all know crafting may sink or swim this game. In the end players need to matter or we can just let the game play itself in offline mode.

Numa and 3devious like this.
  7. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

As long as there are no dependencies within characters - and that is by design because it's still and also a SP Game and unfortunateley not only in offline mode, this is impossible!!!
    One character who can do all and have all skills GM'd is enough to kill the whole economy!
    And we have them already! or not?
    Same for roupplay and adventuring.
    I have long time argued for caps, at least for a working softcap and i have often said that it is better for the MMO part of the game to have dependencies within characters and god damn hard caps.
    But i dont want to argue about that - whatever discussion comes up now it will just end 50/50 and 10 people posting 11 opinions.
    And then some get frustrated, some jump on the hype train, others rant as if their life or "investment" is in danger and the rest just dont care... anymore.

I just say, what a lot of people say: UO had Caps and there are many good reasons for that.

I still think SP and limitless and all that need to be the offline Part and as long as we talk about online from SPO to MMO we need limitations, caps, working softcaps if not hard caps and create dependencies within all online players.
    Otherwise and that is what i'm experiencing all the time the online part is only the Danceparty part like we have it and if you ask me like it will be forever.

Play solo and if you want some socializing or RP in the Tavern and not while adventuring/ playing the game, then come together in a PoT or NPC City and do whatever you like.

Without Caps and dependencies there is no MP group or MMOish Game,
    but only MP socializing!

I'm sure there are many people who now tell me i'm wrong and i just tell you, because you are all big fans of UO, what i only played on a RP freeshard and that not very long, that
    all the people i know who played UO played it because it was well balanced - with HARDCAPS!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    Vodalian likes this.
  8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Things change during development. Once it was said that player crafted items would be the best gear in the game, now artifacts are better.
    Once it was said that... Ah. Doesn't matter, we had this discussion so many times before...

Salix likes this.
  9. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

This is where I am... I like crafting and I like adventuring. I originally came to the forums for information AND this community though.... just wow...

I've given up caring... I'm waiting to see what they do with the finished product. Then I will know if I'll continue playing or not. I hate to say it, but I think at some point I think Portalarium needs to stop listening to suggestions, gripes and ... finish everything they need to, including bug fixes.

Get the game past the Alpha stage. Get into Beta in 1 year, production in 2 years... then sink or swim. Right now I think the major problem they are having is trying to please EVERYONE. While there are some suggestions I like and think would add to the game, a lot of them are focused on really small groups within the game. While they may or not be cool in the long run... a lot of them are shifting focus from what they really need to work on:

1) Performance (FPS and loading)
    2) Combat polish
    3) Zone uncloning
    4) Quest lines (there is still not enough to do to keep a large player base happy)
    5) And this one will get backlash - reduce time/resources to the housing, POT, etc. (while this is one of the cooler features... adds nothing for incoming players. need more of 1 thru 4 for this to have real value

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I don't know where you have been but all that is pretty much what is happening now. Release is in March BTW.

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello Chrystoph. I like your list and of course question the last one. So if we have these POTS anyway and believe me I was very skeptical about adding them in the first place. I did worry about ghost towns as I've seen in so many other games but instead of devaluing them include them in the scenario for everyone. I have requested keys you can buy on a vendor to let yourself into an Inn which also pays the rent at the same time making housing for everyone without interaction with Inn Owners. Inns are everywhere now. I have one and I want my customers to be able to rent anytime even if I'm not there. We have missed the aspect of Inns in this game. New players want to have a home and roots. A place to put a chest and move on to checking out the game. Plus they can deco these rooms if that is their thing.

I also have thought if we got trade routes that the whole world should be included in this and that POTS as well as NPC towns could participate by getting a trade vendor to mark our trade routes. Trade routes would be on the overland map causing havoc to get your moving these goods to market locations. These would be available for for pvp with a timer for when you could be attacked again so it is not ganksville and pve would be bandits attacking and then you would click a roll for the goods to see house much you lost. Quests available in POTs and NPC towns to give reason to do trade routes, plus wagon repair from trade vendors and perhaps purchase of trade items and sales there too. So I say don't limit what we already have, but embellish it all. and you know just imo ;) *cheers*. It is nice to hear from you :)

edited

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Elrond likes this.
  12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

From my perspective I completely disagree. I have yet to find any artifact that has benefited me in any way over the +11 to +13 gear targeted for what I specifically want over any artifact. The only exception is a belt and music slot which we cant even craft yet. I have yet to use any artifacts other then that since they have been released.

Saying that, we should be able to craft belts and instruments with the bonus's we need. Without those, the OP can make the claim that the dev's are not keeping their word that crafting items are the most powerful.

13. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Yeah I have been around... but since 46... my FPS has actually gotten worse. Granted I'm on a GeForce 1060... it should not be getting slower. Load times are getting much, much better... but the quest are not nearly enough.

As for housing... as a traditional MMO player... I don't really think players want that first. It's cool to have once your invested in the game. However, I see new people come and go because there is not enough to do. I mean realistically... what advantage is there to housing if you are not having it for any reason other than decorating. There is absolutely no advantage to settling anywhere in the game. I didn't for the first 8 months I played. To be honest... the ONLY reason I did,,, because I saw it as more of an investment opportunity... which is COMPLETELY the wrong for it.... I can't see the WOW style crowd caring about it. very few of us will. 60K says it's all.

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That's a bummer. My framerate is a lot better. Anyway, I'm sure that they'll work it out over the next few releases.

15. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

[​IMG]

@Baron Drocis Fondorlatos
    "You can't create crated items with +10 INT for example. I mean sure if you have unlimited time, gold and silver and 200 in all your crafting skills - maybe then it's possible. But no one is making these items in game now. No one."

An example of +10 or more in a stat on one piece of gear. I don't have unlimited time, silver, gold or 200 in any crafting skill. I guess I should change my name to "No one".

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Chrystoph Reis, Dhanas and Ajivani like this.
  16. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

I wish port would hire you on as an advisor. I always agree with your assessment of things.

17. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

It would be nice if Artifacts when salvaged had a change to drop a rare ingredient that would then provide the Artifact stat on a crafted piece.

So the ring that turns your green had a chance to salvage for Oddly colored metal wire, which when used in gear that requires wire would turn the player green. A different drop from salvage could ad other benefits that the arty provided.

It would be awesome to be able to pull specific prices with stats from items to Realy craft a base item with a good starting values.

18. redfish

redfish Avatar

Artifact re-forging.

KnownInGameAsGeorge likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.