Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known] PvP Flagging on party members still broken

Discussion in 'Multiplayer, Social, & Guilds' started by eli, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eli

eli Avatar

1. Title: PvP Flagging on party members still broken
    2. Reproduction Rate: 100%
    3. Blocker? Often
    4. Details: If a PvP-flagged party member dies, it is impossible to reliably resurrect him.
      It is also very difficult to intentionally heal a living PvP-flagged party member.
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    • Assemble a group of 3 or more in the same room, with 1 person PvP flagged
    • Use an unflagged party member, target and attempt to heal the PvP-flagged party member.
    • The heal spell will ignore your chosen target, and instead apply the spell to the un-flagged party member.
    • Tell one of the unflagged party members to run out of range of the spell and behind a wall
    • Attempt to heal the chosen target again. This time you will get a prompt

• Overall, this is a really annoying bug which has been in since ~r38.
    • Usually you can work-around it by telling your party to stop what they are doing, and have half the party run away.
    • When you are dead, it is impossible to communicate this frustrating work-around, and in a boss-fight, it is impossible to get most of the party far enough from the corpse for it to work anyway.
    1. User Specs: potato

2. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I don't know if its a bug, just think if a non pvp flagged person COULD heal a flagged person, you can hit them but do nothing about their healer, that would really suck.

Lexie likes this.
  3. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

the bug here is that you, an unflagged PVP-Player, can heal / resurrect a PVP-flagged player without getting asked to get flagged when you try it

you need to be PVP-flagged to heal or resurrect a PVP-flagged player

4. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

Is this what you are seeing yourself? It should still prompt you, ask if you want to flag or not. If you say no any heals/buffs etc should do nada.

@eli
    What Mac said in this thread is correct. If a player has a chance to help in pvp but isn't flagged for it, that's all benefit and no risk. Now if you are in a solo instance that may not matter, but these flags don't check for scene type first.

5. eli

eli Avatar

to clear this up:

i am not saying that unflagged people should be able to interact with flagged people.

I'm saying that the prompt to flag for pvp is only reliable in groups of 2 or groups who are spread out.

this is due to the nature of the targeting system, which will apply your heal to a non-flagged party member instead of prompting you to flag to heal your flagged target.

Alice is a healer in a party with Bob and Charlie [PVP]. Alice wants to be able to heal the entire party, so she tries to heal Charlie [PVP] in order to get the "would you like to flag?" prompt.

Instead, the client ignores the fact that Alice has directly targeted Charlie [PVP] and applies the spell to Bob. Alice is never prompted to flag, no matter what spell she casts. If the entire rest of the party (just Bob in this case) moves 40 meters away (out of range) then the prompt will appear when Alice tries to heal Charlie [PVP].

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Dhanas and margaritte like this.
  6. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Avatar

I also have this issue - I cannot PVP flag by healing, it just applies the heal to the next person, even if I am holding Shift. I normally flag by dropping group and shooting the tank in the rear end with an Ice Arrow - it's not like it will do much harm anyway. Useless when already in combat though.

eli likes this.
  7. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

OHHH, ya, I get what your saying, and if you pet is out, it always seems to go to the pet. I think this could be easily solved by making it so you cannot flag at all off flagged people.

8. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

This would remove a lot of the risk of being pvp flagged. Not sure that's the best idea.

9. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

What is really does is remove the advantage of not being flagged, and it is not hard to go and flag if you are not flagged and then want to pvp someone who is. It would probably also make more people walk around flagged if they want to pvp, which seem like a better idea then, I want to pvp but only if I can do it from a non flagged state and get an advantage. So how is it fair the person who wants to pvp, and does it from a non flagged state has no risk until the flag and gains and advantage from doing so?

10. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

I know what you are saying. Lately if I need to flag to heal someone, I have to leave the party, flag from attacking and then be invited back in, where I used to be able to target and heal or buff to flag. I agree, it's only made something that used to be fairly straightforward more time consuming. I get the prompt when I try to attack a flagged target, but not when I try to heal or res one.

Dhanas and Ajivani like this.
  11. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

I see pvp flagging as a risk vs reward situation. If you choose to flag for the extra 10% xp in multi, then you assume the risk of being attacked by anyone. That's not unfair and you don't even lose xp for pvp deaths.

You're choosing to see it a different way, and that's cool but let's call it what it is. It's effectually a pvp-xp boost for most people that want to grind out more xp per hour. As part of the pvp community, I can say with some certainty, that very few people that flag actually do so because they want to pvp. Most of them don't mind pvp and maybe they enjoy it once in a while but most of them just flag for the boost. When I flag, it's because I want to go hunting people. If I see someone flagged and I'm not fond of them or just want some action, sure, I'll attack for fun. I'm in the minority though. Most people flag and assume the monetary risk of paying the oracle for the xp benefit.

12. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I know players who go around just looking for pvp, and they do it non flagged so that #1, the person does not leave or get prepared for a fight and #2 to have the advantage of being able to stack things up and hit before the flagged person can do anything about it. I do agree that most people are doing it for the exp bonus.

13. eli

eli Avatar

thx for feedback but instead of conceptual changes lets keep it to the specific UI bug so it doesn't get missed again.

margaritte and Mac2 like this.
  14. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

@Lexie I believe there is a bug here. You said
    but that's not what we're seeing. Instead of giving us a prompt when we try to heal or buff a flagged player (even with a hard target on them), the targeting system is hijacking said buff or heal and casting on another unflagged player within range. We never see the prompt, and that's the bug.

Dhanas likes this.
  15. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

and "show pvp confirmation" is checked?

16. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

Oh yes, @Alley Oop -- I can immediately leave my party and whack the person I was trying to heal a second before in the head with my wand and see the prompt.

Alley Oop likes this.
  17. Lexie

Okay, I think I got it now. This went all sorts of directions, but good talk. Thanks for the help @margaritte

The real issue: players cannot flag themselves off a flagged person (so they can heal that party member) if there are more than 2 in a party - unless the other party members move out of sight. Seems that hitting the target won't work because it will auto bounce to non-flagged member.

@eli

Can you confirm that is what you are reporting please before I submit?

Rentier, Dhanas, eli and 1 other person like this.
  18. eli

eli Avatar

exactly!

thanks, you're better with words than me.

Rentier and margaritte like this.
  19. Lexie

Nah, I goof on words all the time. But thanks!

Submitted: #54574

@eli

Rentier likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.