Norgard Guards - RP Cooperation for all Norgard Vikings

Discussion in 'Roleplayer's Corner' started by Stundorn, Dec 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Blessadur fellow Vikings!

I'm native germanspeaking, so please forgive my english first, but i'll try to explain what i want to do :)

first let me forward this to:
    @Baene Thorrstad @Larawyn Skjaldmaer @Helvig Ingvildsdottir @Bergelmer @galathena
    @Aiyarree @Ronni @Lasazarr @Duke Olahorand @Haarkon Ratz
    and also @Elgarion as we may want to setup a new faction at http://rpota.com and just fyi ;)

please foward it further to all players/ vikings who are may be interested.

I'm living in Glaldsheim and i am the Leader of the (very) small RP Guild "Gilde der Abenteurer" (Adventurers Guild).
    We are planning to setup a small Fort/ Barracks with craftable wooden Viking Palisades on a City Lot (thanks to Aiyarree) and call all Galdsheim Citizens to arms and become a Reservist - a City Guard or Gardist from time to time. Monthly Events for example.

With the Ironhall people in mind, i thought over to form an overarching garrison of all Vikings/ Norgards players.
    If every Norgard Citizen from Harvest to Goti (Estgard, Gladsheim, Ironhall, even Mud and Misika and also the Horned Society or the Eventide Enclave which are PvP PoT's i have no contact or any information from)
    who want to be a Reservist and play from time to time a Norgard Viking Guard we can setup the Norgard Garrison with several Outposts like the Gladsheim Garrison and the Gladsheim Guards and the Ironhall Garrison with the Ironhall Guards etc...

All players keep their origin role, they just decide to become a Guard from time to time and do some typical viking military city guard roleplay.
    Some may want to play this role forever and become a Commander in their PoT or at least the Commander for all Norgard Guards - Maybe Jarl Baene Thorrstad from Ironhall is the perfect match for that overall Leader! :cool:

We at Gladsheim plan to do patrols in our city and do some City Guard RP, but also want to move out to fight the Kobold threat in Skrekk, the Expeditionary Kobold Camp and Naryad Woods and we maybe find more to do.

All ideas and opinions, interest are welcome here.

blessadur, Stundorn Stureson

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  2. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

Heya Stundorn. First let me express my thanks for involving us other Norgard-based roleplayers! I am very excited to get some cross-guild roleplay going and grow closer together. After all we share a background, culture and traditions.

I would like to suggest a few tweaks, but they are based on my own perception of viking culture, and may not be entirely correct. They are based on sagas, but most of all on modern-day historical novels written by people that know more about the subject than I, but that of course also had to fill the gaps with imagination.

• I think there is no such thing as "typical viking military city guard roleplay". To my knowledge, there were no guards in viking time. A jarl would have his hird, which is more like an honor guard actually, and we roleplay that Jarl Thorrstad does have one, too, though it consists only of one person right now (@galathena ). :rolleyes: In viking time, everyone was responsible of defending themselves, their property, their family. Even women had to know how to fight to defend their property and children, though most historians assume that the women that really went to war or even were commanders of an army (like Tyra Danebod) were rare exceptions. No-one could rely on a guard to protect them, and I personally think a viking would even find it shameful to do so. In times of danger, everyone had to rally weapon in hand, no matter who they were.
    • People would follow their own warlord. If a warlord decides to make common cause with another, or to subordinate himself and his people to another, his people would still follow -him-, not another commander.
    As you know, much of our "knowledge" about the viking time is based on poetic writings and assumptions. Furthermore, these (probably) ancient orally conveyed poems were written down at the very end of the viking era, when most of Scandinavia had already become christian. So, this leaves a lot of room for interpretation, and many different views can be embraced. If Stundorn is from, say, early 11th century Denmark, and Helvig is from Svearike in the middle of the 9th century, our perceptions and traditions could vary greatly. So, for Stundorn a guard as an organization may make sense while for Helvig the very thought of it seems weird.

So.. my conclusion is (again, personal opinion, and I'm not a leader who can decide on this anyways): Let us roleplay defending Norgard together. Let us create a strong alliance, based on honor, trust and respect. Let our leaders come to the conclusion that together we are stronger, and that showing this strength in Norgard on a regular basis will help keep enemies (like these pesky kobolds) at bay. Let us come to the conclusion that training is needed, if people want to efficiently fight together, and therefore common weapon drills on a regular basis are a good thing. But personally, I see no city guard in Ironhall, ever, and I see no viking following military drill. If the Norgard Guards (or can we please call it Norgard Alliance?) is ready to work with a somewhat unorganised mob of individuals ready to defend their home, I think I can safely say that you can count on us, your neighbours.

Again, I am very excited, and I would love to see this come to life. I just hope I don't have to stray too far from my viking roleplay for it. :)

3. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Hi Stundorn,

Really like the idea of co-operation between Norgard themed guilds !

Will be launching such a guild in Kahli shortly and it would be good to make some contact with your guild and Ironhall too :)

4. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Hi Gorthyn.

Ironhall is already in Kahli. The small fortress on the hill opposite of the Kahlinweard is ours (Fort Ironhall). It is created to be a Cultural Center of Norgard in Kahli with many social areas above ground, and has barracks under ground that can be used by all allies of Ironhall in times when we need to rally to defend our claims in Kahli.

I am very much looking forward to roleplaying together in Kahli as well as in Norgard! Helvig is very curious about these neighbours in Kahli and very eager to finally make contact. :)

5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Ok - i'll try to make it short and explain some things :)

1st of all, i understand you very well @Helvig Ingvildsdottir

2nd Norgard Alliance sounds great!

I completely agree about "Guards" or Military Drill Stuff and also about all other concerns.
    Let me try to explain my Point of View.

I'm first of all a "Viking Wizard" / Seidmen from 8th to 9th century in Denmark who accidently felt into a ritual circle to wake up in New Britannia believing he is stranded in one of the 9 worlds, but not Midgard anymore.
    I do not very much follow historically things, heck as a boy singing and scratching runes in stones they would have killed me soon. My Backstory is of course somewhat more detailed and such, but thats not the point here. What i want to say and what i think is very vikingish too is that i am trying to be a practical man, like vikings were afaik.
    So i adapt and do what i think is profitable for me and the ones i care for.
    For example the christianisation of some vikings was only about this - profit, to follow something that was strong, adapt to it, assimilate it, give up old and non profitable old believes on the surcace, but not in depth or entirely, this happened over some centurys and we all now it never died - heck we are roleplaying vikings, we love the history and all that. they influenced Europe more than everything else and we still can see, feel and know about it everywhere.
    Sure we can look at this with different opinion - im also more the romantic pagan type and have nothing to do with modern religion, but i also have nothing to do with modern paganism :p
    But i'm sure glad that we do not sacrifice slaves anymore, although some slaves would be nice :rolleyes: just kidding :D
    So Stundorn is adapting to this world in some way, not totally, not in all aspects, but i'm sure the type of Roleplayer who want to keep to his origins in some way, but be open minded, adapt to some degree and don't follow the historic viking lore thing that strict.
    But i appreciate that you do and i can maybe the one who connects things together.
    If i can do that the Seidman Stundorn has done a great job.
    My Guild and also Galdsheim and it's leader arent Vikings at all and also very casually roleplaying - i for myself can be a very hardcore type of a Roleplayer, but as i never had success with this in over 15 years of gaming, i tend to be more casually, practical and compromise ready too.
    I want to bring things together and be a mediator in some way, both for Roleplayers casual and hardcore and for Vikings and.... the others :rolleyes:... Skraelinga ...weird people you know :D
    So back in time i was maybe the "traitor" who converts to christianity :rolleyes::)

I do a lot of smilies today... ok not now again.. ahhh....feels to need to do one more, but... i'm strong now :p -------------- damn :confused:

So yeah, let us roleplay defending Norgard together, let us have varied settlements, cultures, traditions as also the vikings had back in time, there is sure one big thing that connects us and that imho is more the way to treat each other with respect, the way of direct speech, practicalism, living in Norgard, make our live in New Brittania however from whoever we come to this strange land.
    I'm also in no way a straight forward military guard or drill captain. I felt it is maybe helpfull to setup some barracks and call some Gladsheim citizens to arms to be ready against the Kobolds and other threats, to bring some viking flavor to Gladsheim with the Palisades and maybe Norgard Armor Sets, while patroling the city with a bunch of people who wear Norgard Style cloth, a roundshield and wield an axe, a sword or a spear.
    Those who do this will not all be originally vikings as i said we even have an irish female druid character - but again, the most common thing we as vikings may have is this practicalism, this way of adapting to situations and allways find the compromise to do the best for us and ourselves.

blessadur - Stundorn Stureson (ha! no smilies anymore :D - ohhhhh nooooooo)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  6. galathena

galathena Avatar

Baene, and Lara already setup some "language" terms that can be used for roleplaying with others north guardians tribes.
    Like goblin, we can setup the Viking language so it deepens the roleplay interaction.

https://ironhall-sota.wikispaces.com/Character+&+Fiction
    Northerners or Valgardian
    It is natural for people to use terms to define themselves so that others know who they are. For the longest time, Baene and the others vikings living in Ironhall called themselves only Vikings or Northerners, but as more and more of the politics of their chosen territory became clear, they choose to call themselves Val-Gard-ians. Val to honor the king in Valhold, and Gard to identify themselves as being from Norgard. This became simply Valgardian. We do not know if other people in the territory have adopted such a term, but for now, it will serve in such a fashion.
    Terms
    Kin - Blood Relatives
    Kith - Those related by oath or marriage, not blood
    Innangarth/Innergard - Those Nordic villagers of Ironhall, our "clan"
    Utanngarth/Utanngard - Those who follow the Nordic way but are not "us".
    Skraeling - The non-human folk who live in Ironhall and the Grimm Wold.
    Utlanders - One who is not of our ways or our lands. Pretty much everyone who does not follow the Nordic way of life.
    Core Concepts
    Trying to explain all of Nordic culture would not only be impossible, but unnecessary for a game site. Here are some of the key points.
    Hospitality is granted or accepted, never assumed. Once it is granted, all of the Innergard will respect it. If an outlander says they have been offered hospitality, then they are to be treated as such. If there is a question, it goes to the one who granted the person hospitality and dealt with privately. If hospitality is not granted, then no Utanngard nor Outlander is inherently "safe" from one of the Innergard. Common sense and the treatment of allies or those whose good means we wish to keep are always considered. Don't go kidnapping the Duke of Serenite's villagers, please.
    Frith is a complicated term. While portraying a sense of “peace” and “sanctuary”, it is not about “being nice,” nor shying away from controversy and having dissidents keep their heads down and mouths shut. Disagreements are not a violation of Frith. Rather, Frith is about maintaining equitable order within a community, and providing equal protection and equal voice to all who belong to that kindred/community in a lawful manner. The Jarl, peace keepers, law keepers and rune priests are a part of keeping the lawful peace in the community. Often rune priests act as law keepers, and the Jarl's hirdsmen (sworn warriors) act as peace keepers.
    Speak the Truth
    Keep your Oaths
    Stand by your Jarl
    Avenge the fallen
    Honor your ties of kith and kin
    Laugh, sing, tell tales and speak poetically
    Luck and Glory are core to the personal reputation of every Valgardian. One always desires to attract and keep good luck, while attaining and being known for achieving glory. In this way, Valgardians are often superstitious, actively participating in religious events and the acquisition of magical charms that will bring them good luck. They are also often completely foolhardy in their search for glory and honor, not only so they can get into the halls of their ancestors, but so they can boast about it at the next feast.
    Might makes Right applies to pretty much everything else. Outside of the strict obligation of hospitality, the lawful social structure that governs the innergard, and one's own personal search for luck and a worthy life of battle and honor, the rest of the world at the most can expect that Valgardians will do as they wish, without regard for anyone else's ethics, morals or cultural standards. Such things apply to other Vikings, not to you.

7. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Yes indeed the Kahlinweard are aware of the presence of the Ironhall Norgardians within Kahli - once the guild is officially launched contact will no doubt be made ;)

8. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hi there Stundorn! I love this idea for sure :) Most of the role-players thus far that I’ve been RPing with (immersive) have primarily been vikings. I’m glad to see you’ve tagged them and attracted the attention of fellow like minded folks and that @Gorthyn also noticed your thread. @Helvig Ingvildsdottir that guide to terminology posted above? Super helpful! Thanks for that. Any help you folks need with RPOTA, please let me know ;)

9. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

The credit for posting it goes to Sassa (@galathena), the credit for creating it to Larawyn. :D

10. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

Do the good citizens of Regalis need to fear barbarian raids?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.