1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Post Episode 1 Content Plans (aka the 2 year plan)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

As to making new verses working on existing promises, I have to say we need to do what is best for releasing this game in the best light. This is very important. There is not much time.

If one thing gets pushed in Liu of something else because it is something that makes the game better, more satisfying, and fun at commercial release then so be it.

I would love to hear some basics will be there before release and that new people and existing people can find so many tasks and achievements to encourage exploring the game and its mechanics. I want to hear that there won't be people wondering what to do and wandering about so very lost and confused.

I don't care that promises are pushed. I care about the release of this game and that it has the best start possible.

Don't argue, keep pushing for what must be there for release. This game deserves ours and the devs focus on the opening day of this game. That is not the end of features and promises. It is just the beginning of it all. Much more will follow.

Edited

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  2. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

@majoria70 You're absolutely right. I wish more people had your attitude.

3. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

@Lord British I already suggested some of this to you several weeks ago. @DarkStarr I'd love some feedback on what you think about all of this.

Episode 3:
    Optional transformation quests based on your virtues. Vampires, Werewolves*, and Succubi/Incubi for evil VS Vampire slayer, Werewolves*, and Seraphim for good. Werewolves being options for either side and possibly the role players choice since there would be a separate, 3rd, inner faction strife within this choice. Every path having benefits and draw backs. All of them give permanent pvp flagged status VS the opposing side but not to un-transformed humans. Optional quests for "curing" transformation. This is basically a flavorful way of enabling a strong pvp structure anywhere in the world but with a built in repeatable quest ON/OFF switch if it becomes too frustrating for the individual player. PvP flagging and PvP zones would work normally in conjunction with this system. This is just an added layer.

Once any PvP foe is defeated:
    Vampires would benefit from drinking their blood (A larger benefit from draining a Vampire slayer).. Werewolves would benefit from eating the heart of their victim (A larger benefit from an opposing faction werewolf heart). Succubi/Incubi would benefit from draining a portion of the victims soul/essence. (A larger benefit from draining a Serepahim)

The good side would work the same way as evil with benefits, just in reverse.

Episode4:
    Underwater cities and everything related to what that would bring. Aquatic creatures, npc races (mermaids? aquatic elves? water nymphs? sprites? naga?), mounts, steam powered water contraptions and vehicles, and a harpoon for underwater fishing!

Episode 5:
    Discoverable floating land masses, Flying mounts, Airships, Djinn, New Ancient Artifacts of immense power (with a stat or level requirement for use)

Please forgive my typos.

4. Almar

Almar Avatar

I wholeheartedly agree with all of this!

5. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

Half of that will probably not make it in... Is there even money to do Episode 2? Yeah... I wish it all was already in. Then SOTA would be one of the best RPGs in the world. ;) Dreaming... just dreaming. Ehhh, where am I (just woke up).

Almar likes this.
  6. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Depends on how much the Episode 2 "Kickstarter-or-equivalent" brings in.

FrostII likes this.
  7. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

I've heard they will be raising money through KS for Episode 2, and it will probably be successful, but not as good as Ep 1. And as more they try to raise every new episode, as less it will bring, considering development time and content added - in other words, already slow development cycle and lack of new interesting game mechanics may discourage potential contributors.

8. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Whether it's through KS or not, probably doesn't matter much. I also don't expect it to be as successful as the first, sure, but it also doesn't need to be. Episode 2 won't be a complete engine rewrite. It's essentially adding a few big features on top and more scenes. The big features will be what draws the people, and if that feature is, say, sailing ships, then I would expect that Port would sell pledges based on ships to make up the bulk of the money.

Sean Silverfoot and FrostII like this.
  9. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Another KS would have to have some interesting reward options, I mean, for many of us "access to Ep 2" is something we already have. I think non-access rewards would be a must (I mean, they don't want to leave our money on the table, right?). Of course, game access and ep2 access are also a must, for new people coming in, and people who have an account that doesn't have Ep 2 access.

10. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

How are they going to handle the episodes? Sounds like a big mess. Episode 2 comes out, someone new to the game, what do they buy? 1? 2? 1 & 2? 1 & 2 & future episodes? Will these truly be stand alone games?

From the KS page (yeah I know, don't lawyer me bro, person that wrote this no longer around, etc. etc...)

Gia2, FrostII and Tiina Onir like this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well that is a very good question. Does coming into the game at an episode other than episode 1 force you to buy both episodes and that could get pricey for people. I would love to hear the plan on this. While it was great incentive for beginning kickstarting does it make sense now? :) @DarkStarr

FrostII and Tiina Onir like this.
  12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Well, there's new lands coming in Ep2 - perhaps the KS will include options for the new Avatars to "access" our "old" lands (at some price)....
    Just thinkin' out loud here........

13. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

A good guess might be that they have to pay $20 or so to buy access to Episode 1 lands.

FrostII likes this.
  14. Numa

Numa Avatar

I was trying to imagine coming into the game through Episode 2 and I just can't see it as being doable. The majority of the content, storylines & player population would still be in the Episode 1 - not to mention the entire Love/Courage/Truth + Avatar quest arcs which are essential to even start the next episode. Just like @FrostII & @LoneStranger , my guess is a discounted price for Ep1 is the most likely scenario.

15. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Richard has had five years to think about it. I'm sure he has more pillar-type quest lines for Episode II comparable to the three for TLC, and it probably would, on some level, be doable in either order or without each other.

Numa likes this.
  16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

If that is true, then they have to include Novia access as part of pledges for Ep2...

Numa likes this.
  17. Numa

Numa Avatar

Honestly, this is just my assumption. Maybe they do have an alternative plan as @LoneStranger suggested.

18. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Is there a character import from one game to another? These are "stand-alone games" after all. Not your normal "MMO" with expansions. Or starting at level 1 in each game, and none of our property carries over? If we travel from one land mass to another, do we have to quit one game and fire up another?

19. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I thought you could just go from one continent to another (boats?) etc, based on past commentary.

20. Lained

Lained Avatar

The additional episodes are land expansions to the world with more quests/story for your existing character to experience.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.