Subscription Fee

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cordelayne, Jan 10, 2018.

?

Would You Pay A Subscription Fee?

1. YES

38.3%
  2. NO

49.0%
  3. UNDECIDED

12.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I wanted to create this poll because I was curious to see how people feel about the introduction of an OPTIONAL subscription fee in the future? As @DarkStarr mentioned during the telethon, this is something they have been considering and I believe an open, rational and respectful dialogue could help shape how this eventually plays out. If it does at all.

Using the information discussed on the telethon, I have constructed a very basic (hypothetical) monthly fee tied to certain rewards. Given the type of subscription below would you pay a monthly fee for it? Yes, No, or Undecided. I am interested in hearing folk's ideas, examples and opinions and please, let's keep it civil. :D

Monthly Subscription Example:
    $5.99 per month
    - Subscription automatically counts towards monthly telethon rewards
    - 5 COTOs

Arc, Stella Moon, By Tor and 14 others like this.
  2. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

If it were something similar to what you said there, and I'd get COTOs and such, I would definitely pay that price. Especially if it helped keep this game going for years.

Arc, Cassandra Corax, Nelzie and 5 others like this.
  3. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

No because i highly doubt that it would count towards the stretch goals of the telethons ..... So a giant nope ...... Great idea if Port would embrace it and be a little more generous with the monthly swag. I consider my 5 dollars a month during telethons my "subscription" But the fact that it must be spent during the Telethon to reach the stretch goals is terribly inconvenient.

Cirsee, VerasTartus, Salix and 6 others like this.
  4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

As I regret giving money at all, no I would never pay for a subscription for SotA.

Besides, I would never ever pay for a subscription for any game anymore.

5. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Well fortunately @DarkStarr mentioned during the telethon that an optional subscription would count towards monthly stretch goals. :)

Though your comment did make me think that perhaps a $5 store credit might be preferable to 5 COTOS. :D

Cassandra Corax, Nelzie, Numa and 3 others like this.
  6. oplek

oplek Avatar

It is a bit in conflict the the telethons. I'd do either/or, but not both.

7. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Yes based on the example given or similar I would be happy to pay a subscription. Guess I am old enough to find paying them uncontroversial and the modern trend of free to play, funded by a cash shop etc rather odd !

Arc, Nelzie and Cordelayne like this.
  8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

This or everything similar to this.
    Maybe with different levels and rewards.

Cordelayne likes this.
  9. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

I prefer subscription fees in games, but imo the cash shop has destroyed this option for SotA.
    I would not pay a monthly fee.

cobran, LastChance, Stundorn and 2 others like this.
  10. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

I took his comments to mean the subscription will count towards the $5 to get any stretch goals made during the telethon, but that the subscription would not count towards the total telethon raised total, and thus not be able to unlock additional stretch goals.

StarLord, Lord Ravnos, Nelzie and 3 others like this.
  11. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

same

Cordelayne likes this.
  12. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

See, I think it is worth putting the time into developing this system, because I think a lot of people would do it. Especially people like me that WOULD attend telethons, AND pay something here and there during them, but simply can't because of job, kids, wife, etc. I'd be happy to have it automatically taken from me each month if it meant the game were healthier, AND I get some neat goodies every now and then. I'm sure there are a LOT of people that would join me. Is there any harm if it were optional? I doubt it.

Cloud Imperium Games has a model like this for Star Citizen (like they need it, lol), and they have a bunch of people that voluntarily pay a sub fee just because they believe in C. Roberts' vision.

*edit* had to move an apostrophe

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  13. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Yeah, that's what I garnered from his comment as well. I apologize if my statement was a little unclear. That is also a really good point. If folks opt in to a subscription should those numbers count towards stretch goals? Personally I think so, but I doubt they would, hypothetically speaking of course! :)

14. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

The problem will come, for these optional subscriptions, when a digital item can only be received with such subscription, and not be bound to the account. Opens things up for being "forced" to get the subscription, because only way to get it, in order to RMT. But then others can say it is option, can buy off a vendor, but that still goes back to the only way the item was received was by a subscription, and thus you are just dealing with the OTHER end of RMT.

15. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

I would do a subscription, but only if the prices for stuff in the add-on store were greatly reduced. The way it is now, I consider this game a "free-to-play but pay if you want to have cool stuff" game. No-one would play a game that costs a subscription fee and makes you pay for every little virtual item that is not entirely ordinary. Even the voluntary subscription gives me bad vibes in this context.

I just made the counts: In the past seven months I spent 528 USD on my account and 585 USD on my husband's account. That averages 80 USD a month per account! Even for a game much cooler than SotA I wouldn't pay such a subscription fee. I must be totally nuts!

Bankee, Ahuaeynjgkxs, Xandra7 and 3 others like this.
  16. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

I hate to be the bad guy here but here are the facts....

#1 Port is a business
    #2 Port will have your money already but they want more of it so they have no business incentive to give you more for your money.... they want more of your money for less work.
    #3 this is counter intuitive to their attempt of building hype on the telethons to meet stretch goals.

Now i know that sounds really sinister but it is the truth. Once port has your $$$ they are under no obligation to give you anything more for it. CIG was brought up in this and CIG gives swag out to it's subscribers though CIG isn't doing that for a money grab. The subscribers actually fund the additional content while having access to a magazine that is actually well put together. CIG's subscription is more or less treated as a magazine subscription than a Swag subscription. They just do a decent job of adding swag.

17. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

So wait, the game would basically be sold at a regular price, there would be an (optional) subscription, a cash shop and telethons?

18. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

Also in regards to the telethon .... I am still salty about the Icy weapons being behind the 65k mark that was doomed to fail as the January telethon is historically the worst one of them all.

I made mension to @Berek and @DarkStarr responded to it in the Telethon announcement. If they were generious with the swag and made it so everyone who was a subscriber got All of the telethon items for every telethon they are subscribed no matter the stretch goal...... Yea now we are talking about incentive to becoming a subscriber. Give the subscriber 5 dallors store credit and boom .... now you have a model to get people subscribed and more than happy to subscribe.

i would have gladly subscribed on all 3 of my accounts if that ment i got my Icy Halberd....

You could even put in a rule that you have to be subscribed for 3 months for this to take effect .... either way some type of rewards system needs to be in place.

19. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I have just recently start to get telethons, and got a couple extra accounts. I DO want to support this game, and recently think things have been doing very well. If the charity event, master of the forge was going towards the devs, and not to some charity, I gladly would have donated a ton of gear.

Cordelayne likes this.
  20. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

If it's affordable for me (which at the moment means pretty cheap!) then I quite like the idea, since it would give Portalarium a fairly regular income, and as long as what is gained by us has no effects on game play other than 'looks', that seems a reasonable option.

For the committed traders, I can see the sale of such pieces in-game being quite attractive, but I'd likely keep whatever comes from a subscription for me, or as gifts for friends - as long as it gives no 'playing advantage', then I'm happy with the concept. My bank balance might not be, but that's a different problem....

Cordelayne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.