Subscription Fee

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cordelayne, Jan 10, 2018.

?

Would You Pay A Subscription Fee?

1. YES

38.3%
  2. NO

49.0%
  3. UNDECIDED

12.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moxiepilot

moxiepilot Avatar

Maybe Im misinterpreting the question or how the voluntary subscription would work,but here is my rationale:

I would not purchase a subscription unless doing so would make recieving something like an in game, tax free POT deed achievable using in game gold.

The reason I use this as an example is that for the newly established player a house deed is not easily obtainable but doable as a significantly long range goal.

Esentially a subscription becomes a payment plan for the store. The rewards received should be based on that.

2. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I'd love an automated system for what I already do... Log in to three accouts on teleton day. Enter the data three times. Gift the main account from the two alts.

Whoever thinks this is different from a subscription that has items behind a pay wall is solidly confused. It's the same thing but you just do more work for it and as proven it can be missed by people wanting it.

Also... $5 per account. It really doesn't get any cheaper for monthly swag.

Obsidian Tempest, Numa, Nikko and 2 others like this.
  3. Verit

Verit Avatar

If subscription works in the way that the op described and helps the game's longevity, then I would gladly sign up.

moxiepilot and Cordelayne like this.
  4. Guppy

Guppy Avatar

I would be happy to pay a subscription.
    As long as my pledge amount counts as a prepayment toward the subscription (say for the next 1000 months). Then new cash would be needed.

5. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

Like most folks, I think we'd agree that a subscription is fine as long as we feel like we're getting our money's worth. That being said, echoing the sentiments I'm seeing on the forums these days - I'm not even willing to consider paying more for this game in its current state. I'm equally unwilling to even discuss the prospect of a subscription based on any promises related to the future of this game - I'd actively encourage everyone that cares about this game to disregard these conversations (whether or not they're posted in sincerity) for a simple reason:

If it is misconstrued even innocently and picked up by the masses that SOTA is considering a subscription model, even if its completely untrue and was only a player suggestion, the backlash will be severe and to the extent that this title could not handle or recover from.

Subs are a touchy subject in gaming, and the current sentiments published about this game aren't good. It's not far fetched to think someone would pick up and run with "SOTA now considering a subscription fee" as a headline with the intent to further damage the game. They'd be entirely wrong, and would eventually (probably not, but maybe) print some form of retraction. Retractions don't undo damage or turn back time.

Careful what you wish for and discuss here. This isn't a topic that needs to be considered anytime soon for this game, discussing something that's not going to happen and could actively damage the game isn't a great idea months from "official" launch.

Elwyn and Cordelayne like this.
  6. eli

eli Avatar

I'd pay a sub if it came with a significant change to moderation.

If we are the ones keeping the lights on, rather than new user adoption/add-on popularity, then we should share the role of directing the game, which is impossible if significant ideas for change are censored.

7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

TheBalance, the problem with your approach is that any suggestion or proposal made by the development team will be taken and purposefully misconstrued and twisted into an evil conspiracy theory that casts the developers in the role of silent film villian, with DarkStarr twisting his now shaved off mustache while cackling evilly and toting bags of money into a bank vault.

So, they're damned if they do, and damned if they don't. Might as well stay the course and do what they've always done and make the decisions that they believe are best for the game.

jolanar and Cordelayne like this.
  8. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

I don't play the game all that often, but i'm certainly not subbing for a dragon fight once a while, camp some mages in the Rise or the Monkey Room. Subscription to me means tons of content compared to all the other games out there :)

Xandra7, Salix, Jens_T and 1 other person like this.
  9. golruul

golruul Avatar

Sure, I would pay for a subscription as long as it gives more value.

I wouldn't do $6 for 5 COTOs as I find that less value than buying 100 for $85, so it would at least need to be $5 for $5 store credit + automatically count toward telethon goals.

Nikko and Cordelayne like this.
  10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I'll purchase your account and remove that regret, Lord Darkmoon.

11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

You want to shut me up? ;)

Corv, Ice Queen, 3devious and 2 others like this.
  12. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I'm just curious, I can spend $5.00 on the telethon, but your figure "squeezes" another $0.99 out of me, Why is that?

Elwyn likes this.
  13. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

While I understand Portalariums need to generate income I currently am not willing to spend anything beyond what I have so far. If the game would become something I enjoy playing on a regular basis I would reconsider. However as I am more interested in CRPGs and Ultima type games than MMOs I am not certain if I will have to make that call anywhen soon.
    With my KS pledge I have everything I need for playing SotA.

Ice Queen likes this.
  14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I agree with @eli, I don't care if my feedback isn't even taken seriously I just want to be allowed to talk about it in theoretical terms for the long term future (maybe another portalarium game) without all the censorship and people trying to derail the threads saying "not it can't be like that" while I made clear in the threads that it was 100% hypotethical and in a distant future.

Also agree with others, if the game was anywhere like a true spiritual successor to ultimas and UO, i'd be willing to shell out 20-40$ a month for it...

Right now... no thank you, we're moving further away.

3devious and Mykll like this.
  15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

If you'd like, I'll pay full face value for your account as of the date and time of my original offer, +$5 so you can register a new forum account and continue to have a presence in the forums.

16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thats freakin noble of you Rufus, hats off.

I'm almost tempted... :/

Numa likes this.
  17. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Gaming tax...just kidding.

The number was arbitrary, change it to $4.99 then. :)

Obsidian Tempest likes this.
  18. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

Though for me, paying the extra .99 might be a worthwhile tradeoff for the 1AM finish telethons, since I am getting too old for all this late nights sort of thing nowadays .. ;)

Obsidian Tempest and Cordelayne like this.
  19. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

Bring on a subscription service and keep the telethons!!! Make a multi tiered subscription that tops out way above $15. I would have no issue with a $50 to $100 sub! I love giving back.

Cordelayne likes this.
  20. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Honestly, if the monthly fee qualified me for any telethon awards that month I’d be fine with it. I missed the telethon on Monday because I forgot about it. COTO would be a nice consolation prize for the optional donation.

Obsidian Tempest and Numa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.