Subscription Fee

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cordelayne, Jan 10, 2018.

?

Would You Pay A Subscription Fee?

1. YES

38.3%
  2. NO

49.0%
  3. UNDECIDED

12.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Those were specifically limited events, and are not generally available items like store/telethon.

2. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

True enough, still like to bring it up as often as I can tho. Last straw and all.. and so very very wrong.

3. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I'm not sure - I've never subscribed to play a game before, but for an Ultima successor I might have made an exception if the option had been offered instead of a game pledge from the outset. Right now, after having already invested several hundred dollars in the game, I would not be willing to pay an extra monthly fee just to play. If playing were still free and the subscription only provided monthly extras, I still would not subscribe. I have no use for most of the things in the addon store as is and I don't need more goodies.

4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

No one has suggested such a thing.
    This is what has been proposed. Would you have any objection to such a thing being established? If so, why? The most likely plan (As suggested by @DarkStarr) is a $5 completely voluntary subscription that does nothing more than qualify the subscriber for the Stretch Goal perks from the telethon.

5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I would have no objection to such a plan. Even if the voluntary subscribers had access to all the expensive stuff I got with my Edelmann pledge I wouldn't mind.

Numa and Cordelayne like this.
  6. Mapper

Mapper Bug Hunter

I agree with some of the other comments. I'd only pay a sub if it included a tax free property feed, village or town.

7. moxiepilot

moxiepilot Avatar

This is what I was trying to say, thanks for being able to verbalize it better

Kara Brae likes this.
  8. Katu

Katu Avatar

I would pay something, to get 24/7 obsidian potions on and maybe shrine effect too. I could pay 5-10$ for that

Cordelayne likes this.
  9. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

As a reminder to prevent threads from being locked, do not post arguments or personal attacks in them. If you do, the posts will be removed and you will be warned. It's simple, no personal arguments. Thanks

10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If some prefer to pull out the wallet for every store purchase they make. That’s great, go for it, no one is asking for that to be removed.

I prefer an option to do it once with reoccurring payments.

Keep everything the same as far as what can be purchased. No special perks for doing things one way or another.

I wouldn’t even link the reoccurring payment system to telethon but I am not against that.

Numa likes this.
  11. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I have no issue with any sort of voluntary anything. I wouldn't subscribe to it, but I have no issue with it.

Solazur, Numa, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
  12. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

We appreciate your work keeping things tidy around here in the shroud community, Berek!

13. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

I gave up on gaming subscriptions a long time ago. If I want to contribute to the game I will donate.

14. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Just to corroborate this is exactly the kind of model we are considering but again we are only considering it at this point. Nothing has been decided.

But if we did do it then it would probably look pretty much like this.

1. Totally Voluntary
    2. Would not have anything to do with game access
    3. Would not be tied to any kind of game play options
    4. Includes automatic participation in the postmortem stretch goal items (as long as they continue), however many are achieved. We are not decided if it would count towards total or not
    5. Would include some amount of store credit or Crowns at a slight discount

15. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I've discussed it with a few people before and we all sort of agree that we wish we could make it automatic because sometimes it's hard to be around when telethons are going on.

So long as it didn't spawn some new tiered system and ONLY worked as a monthly automatic withdrawal for the telethon for store credit, I'm totally on board.

16. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

Please offer multiple tiers of subscription! It would be cool to have a banner or something to show on the forums who is subscribed!

17. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I'm perfectly fine with a subscription model as indicated above. It benefits game development, which benefits players. And it gives players choices of how to support the game.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thank you @DarkStarr this is a perfect model that we often see in many other MMOs, crowd funded projects.

Sara Dreygon and Numa like this.
  19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I have to say that to have a subscription valuable in this game it does have to offer perks. I think it should be competitive with other games. For example offer a package, a special mount, a special boat, a special deco, a special outfit, a special painting. Enticing things that don't give a player a game playing edge. With the subscription should also come daily, weekly, or some kind of reward system to make it worth it to continue, such as earning points towards something. I have played many, many MMO's and the rewards systems are what entices me to come back to get or earn my prize or points. Coto rewards should definitely be on there even if it is points to earn to a coto reward and special mounts should definitely be on the list. I have subbed just for the mounts quite a few times.

In the past I would never play a non subscription game because they were so cheaply done on depth things. Like for example I played Runes of Magic and even tho there were some really cool things in that game it felt cheap to me for some reason, like canned laughter instead of real laughter, probably it was just me. There were a few things about that game I did like and one of them was the pet eggs that you could find on loot and hatch. Then you could train your pet and help it grow. That was a fun system and there were pet eggs on the store to buy that were unique. So we can be thinking in special rewards that entice. Also that game had mounts that two people could ride on. I really loved that.

So if this system kicks off we should really give it some thought to make it a special worthwhile system. Something special. Of course I will always have lots of ideas and if I don't I will research to find some ;)

@DarkStarr

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    K1000 likes this.
  20. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

full loot full pvp i would pay in a heart beat.... but as is no.

LastChance and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.