What is te overall Strategy to get more customers/ players?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stundorn, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

goodness gracious, what happened to LotHNortH ? ._.

I... really don't know from which end to take that...

Mykll, 3devious and LastChance like this.
  2. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

@Vallo Frostbane is a gentleman if you ask me. He tried to kill me but he always did that with courtesy.

[​IMG]

3. Hellscream

Hellscream Avatar

I think that when the Game finally launches, more and more people bit the bait if " Lord British Game".
    Personally, was my Marín reason, i enjoyed UO a lot, and SotA found in me a loyal player(despite i cant mine riding a giant beetle)

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  4. zeme

zeme Avatar

This game has a lot to offer compared to the other big hitters - FF14, GW2, ESO, and WoW. It's just a completely unique experience, I get giddier with every release but am already pleased with what the game is.

Boss mechanics, low and high level dungeons/raids, tooltips, enchant/masterwork rehaul, and performance are what I'm looking forward to. Also I hope PvP gets incentive more!

Ronni, Verit and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  5. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Portalarium needs to talk more about infrastructure. I don't believe they could support the population you guys want to see.

Koldar, Gia2 and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

awh, so sobering this morning :p need more coffee

7. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

One of the best things to say about this game is it isn't a WoW clone, in spite of people saying "I just tried this game but me and my friends hate it because it didn't hold our hand enough!"

Hunter OfSouls likes this.
  8. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Got any links? I'd love to see some and share it around, all the press I've seen outside these forums has been pretty bad

Stundorn and Vallo Frostbane like this.
  9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

yeah, at least they didn't cave in on that... but some things are now glowing... its not an exclamation point but...

I'd say its a medieval sims with social and ultima-like functionality :p

When it becomes a true spiritual ultima successor, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong and retract my accusations :p

3devious likes this.
  10. KnownInGameAsGeorge

KnownInGameAsGeorge Avatar

I expect we read the same ones just got different impressions.

I am not super involved but do keep an eye on the Dev+ stuff so when I read the reviews I hear how much people like the features that have been implemented. When they talk about the things that are not good I mostly hear them talking about things that are not implemented or came with Unity and have not been dealt with yet.

Great things are said about the things that I think are important and anything bad said is over things I could not care less about.
    I see those as great reviews.

11. Sea Hunter

Sea Hunter Avatar

@Stundorn You have to remember that the holidays just passed. Most people tend to spend more during that time of year and then recoup after the first of the year. Most retailers will tell you this too. So do not put to much into the fact that the telethon stretch goal numbers were down this time around. It is just the time of year :)

12. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

SoTA is a visually nice game, but I don’t see a large base drawn to the graphics or custom housing and I see the skill/level system as being rather daunting to casual gamers and newer players alike. ATM, it seems the only “gud” players are those who can sink a large portion of time and/or money to the game. While it should be expected that all things take time and you can literally buy anything in the game with IGG, I do not believe this is how unfamiliar players will see it.

The quest system is nice. Unlike any other game that comes to mind actually. If the combat can be made fun and easily understandable and some cinematics added during quests/dungeons as well as combat goals to strive for then I can see a lot of positive talk spreading about SoTA.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

I always thought theme park MMO players were the wrong target audience from which to build a base. There are a lot of people who buy single player RPGs like Skyrim and Witcher who wish they could find and MMO or Co-op that woul approximate the depth of the single-player game experience, but with more participants. People who might have Skyrim Hearthfire and would love to invite people into their homes. ESO is out and some people like it, but I think for a lot, including me, it misses some of what was in the single player Elder Scrolls.

And UO itself was originally inspired by LB and DarkStarr playing Ultima and thinking "wouldn't it be nice to play this with my friends?" This is why "immersion" or whatever you want to call it is an important element; because its important to the single player or solo game. And you build from the solo game smoothly into the co-op, into the MMO.

This is the direction I saw SotA go in at first, but lately its taken the reverse direction; starting from the expected MMO experience, then working backwards to the solo player.

I have a large group of friends who never play MMOs, because, quote, "I hate grinding." But they would if one came along were designed the right way. Its not that they hate Multiplayer, but they don't like what's out there. And this is a big, untapped audience... How many sales did Skyrim and Witcher make?

Plus, most people who play MMOs play solo most of the time.

The recent focus is on "community," and community is cool, but strong communities are grown out of common bonds over loving something that's cool on its own merits. That's why the Star Trek fan community is so large, why the Tolkein fan community is ever-present, and why Ultima Dragons was around for years. You build a strong community around a strong game, not a strong game around a strong community.

At any rate, SotA can go more of the themepark route, and be sold and marketed to that audience, but then its competing with many themeparks on the market, and the more sandboxy or challenging or immersive or virtual world elements will get in the way of new player expectations, and be trimmed back. In the end, I think all of this will just hamper the game and make it feel mediocre ( despite whatever great sugar is in the game ). Or SotA can try to tap into the other audience, which is potentially large, with very few competitors.

I bring this up not to gripe, but because SotA is at an important crossroads and I think Portalarium needs some clarity going forward.

Obviously with release approaching, limited budget, and a currently awkward experience for new players, design adjustments have been made so to make this a workable game for launch. Some I'm not exactly happy with. But as long as the devs focusing on deepening the game experience as they can, as they have more time and funding, I think that can be good. The most important thing IMO is not to "sell down" and not to give an impression of a shallow game in order to find an audience. They can't oversell either, but I think "selling down" is a trap.

I wrote a Steam review for SotA much earlier on in the development process where I talked about the SotA vision as I saw it at that time. My main gripes are the ways I think design adjustments have moved the game further from what I described; but never mind that for a moment. There's a lot there, but I think it comes down to the feeling of playing a D&D session with your friends.

I talk to a lot of people, and when I ask them what they want, they say a "classic RPG."

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Elwyn, Stundorn and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  14. Unseen [ONBE]

Unseen [ONBE] Avatar

Legend of the Hearth is from attending one of the Hearth of Britannia HoBLotH events. It is not related to a LotM pledge.

Elwyn and Barugon like this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Most excellent post, pleasure to read.

3devious likes this.
  16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Uhm... good sire...

*sigh*

Nevermind. I unsee you :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.