What is the best RPG game youve ever played on the pc and why

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by blaquerogue, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Ok so I was talking to some friends tonight we were going over what the best rpg game out there? My choice was "Dragon Age Origins"
    This game is the epitome of an excellent RPG and I wish SOTA would take some notes from it! The game is excellent in graphics, excellent in story telling and following a story. You can get really involved in this game to the point where you feel your character and live his life. It puts you in his/her place where you become the story! There are a lot of choices to make good or bad in this game with consequences or greatness. I enjoyed this game many times over, I loved following the storyline it really draws you in when you come across them! The graphics are off the charts! Anyhow heres the trailers I have found I hope you enjoy.
    It is a single player game but you meet other types of characters in the game and they become your party through the adventure. If you haven't played it I highly suggest you give it a try!

*side note - for 20.00 you can get it directly downloaded to your PC from www.gog.com! it is well worth over that! and play it in between the time you play this, I typically play this game when I get bored of playing SOTA, then com back to SOTA later.

2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

DA:O or bust!
    Though i admit the KOTOR games were smexy also.

3. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

I can't post the one game that tops it all. Ultima V for playing it to death (i still know where the good stuff is) in my youth. Baldur's Gate 2 for being a DnD champ. I'm currently playing through Wastelands 2 and it's a solid gem too. So many really cool RPG i played which all have their own merit :p

smack and blaquerogue like this.
  4. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

The very first RPGs that I played and really got into as a a kid was Ultima 7 and somewhat Ultima 7 pt2. I loved the open world being able to go anywhere at anytime. I liked the interaction with my party mates. I liked that I could interact with the world and there were repercussions for my actions. For instance... you can kill the banker and steal bank keys and come back later and rob the place. If you did it in front of your party mates they got mad and left you. You can then res the banker and sell the gold back. Exploring dungeons with all the secret passages and paths was a blast. Being able to ride carriages and boats and flying carpets. Finding hidden secrets. If your party member died, you had to find a way to carry their body back to a healer.

I haven't got deep into many RPGs since but KOTOR was one that I replayed many times. Elder Scroll games and Fall Out games were great but there are to many quests if that is such a thing. I probably put a 100+ hours in Skyrim without finishing it due to all the side quests and eventually getting bored and moving on and coming back later to start over. When Fallout 4 came out, I made sure I stopped side questing so I could complete it.

I think action RPGs like Borderlands 2 is more my style now a days. I can't wait for BL3. I like the faster pace and also how they talk to you the whole time instead of walls of text. I think the immersion is better that way for me.

Moiseyev Trueden and blaquerogue like this.
  5. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

I cannot name just one but here's some of my top ones, in no particular order.
    Ravenloft Stone Stone prophet
    Dark Sun Shattered Lands
    Ultima Underworld 2
    Ultima 7
    Elder scrolls online
    Secret World (Old payed version)
    Dragon Age origins
    Final Fantasy Online
    Outcast (old and the new glorious edition!)
    Shadows over Riva
    Skyrim (Waiting for Vive Version!)
    New Vegas.

6. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Shroud of the Avatar. That is all.

Max Bennis, Onyx and Olthadir like this.
  7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Classic: RPG: Pools of Radiance, Bards Tale 3, Might and Magic 3, Ultima 4.
    Modern: Dragon Age, Fallout 4, Skyrim
    Classic MMO: Dark Age of Camelot, UO, EQ1
    Modern MMO: GW2, WOW and I would honestly have to say SOTA with all its flaws only because I have probably more hours in it then any other MMO I have played (including WOW), so they must be doing something right and Im pulled to far negative by the negative community).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Olthadir and blaquerogue like this.
  8. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

If forced to pick a favourite or two from the many, many really fun computer RPGs I've played

Older style ones, the original Neverwinter Nights with various mods
    More modern, Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim for the sheer freedom to do pretty much anything at all. Dragon Age : Origins was very clever in the way it handled the background stories and scenarios for different characters, but I thought their NPC management was too clunky.

blaquerogue likes this.
  9. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

RPGs I couldn't just name one... UO, SWG, Morrowind or also Fallout to name a few. Liked many for different aspects.

Verit and blaquerogue like this.
  10. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Skyrim!

[​IMG]

smack, Leelu, blaquerogue and 2 others like this.
  11. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Personally i really enjoyed Pillars of eternity, cant wait for the next one!

smack, blaquerogue and Cordelayne like this.
  12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Which of the 25trillion iterations?
    I would agree...7 years ago. By now i am so tired of bethesda doing ANOTHER skyrim verion that it really ruined the game for me and possibly the whole francise.

Echondas and Cordelayne like this.
  13. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Picking a favorite is rough. Keep in mind I had no PC capable of gaming until the year 2000. I'll list a couple and the things I enjoyed about them though.

The 4th Coming (Let's see how many folks even know of that one) - My first PC RPG and MMO. It was something of a classless game, but you could certainly hang yourself with it. It featured NPC interaction and questing in a very similar vein to what Shroud is offering. It was simplistic but addictive.

My experiences with Ultima Online do not really count because they were very much breaking TOS. A friend brought me in exclusively on private servers (I did not know of the legalities of that when I was 16/17 when I played) and had a blast. The ability to build housing tile by tile, customize and layer wardrobe, and the small tight-knit communities of the private servers were amazing. It was also a lot of fun playing with the server emulators and creating custom maps and scripts. Really, I could credit these acts of youthful violations as the defining moment that led me to my career as a games programmer.

Baldur's Gate 2 - The storytelling, the world, the tactical style. This is the game that led me into trying Dungeons and Dragons in person, which tabletop RPG is now my favorite of all gaming.

Mass Effect - The Progression System. I am not a player of shooting games or action games very typically. I have never played a game that actually helped train me so well in the use of my combat tools. I played this game with a sniper rifle all the way through. Learning to fire shots in the early, easy phases with the scope roaming wildly in my unsteady hands actually helped train me to lead moving targets as investing skill points in the weapon steadied my hand. I started out struggling to hit moving targets with a moving scope. Trained to sometimes hit moving targets with a moving scope, and finished by being quite awesome at hitting moving targets with a steady scope. This one facet really impressed me.

Numa and blaquerogue like this.
  14. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

Fallout, Baldur's Gate and Morrowind were all great times. But UO is the best.

smack, Budner and blaquerogue like this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Wizardry 8 was one of my very favorites. In fact recently I've been puttering playing it again and I'm having a lot of fun with it. For such an old game it was amazing what was included in this game. Here is a bit of a preview to give you an idea of how this game looks. ;)

16. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Actually, my original PC version! :D

I have it modded out to my version of perfection! The wife bought me a Switch for Christmas and having portable Skyrim is a dream come true! :)

blaquerogue likes this.
  17. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I have several favorites but I've been replaying Planescape: Torment enhanced edition and I'm pretty amazed at the depth of the NPC conversations and how things get updated through the game as you make decisions. It's cool how you can talk to your own party members and learn about their history and motives. Very interesting D&D setting and story.

smack and blaquerogue like this.
  18. mass

mass Avatar

LOL you guys are all wrong! :p

It is Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Best soundtrack, best sexiness, best characters, best biting the neck move, best diversity of gameplay:
    You can play through that game as a shooter, a stealth assassin, a tooth and claw beast, a mage, or a non-violent hacker, or a seductress, or other crazy ways (in fact, craziness can be your archetype). It's just awesome.

The first Mass Effect is a close second. I wish that group would have made a VtMB sequel. The only thing missing from VtMB is the fantastic Bioware companion system.

19. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

1. Ultima V
    2. Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura
    3. MegaTraveller 1: The Zhodani Conspiracy
    4. Deus Ex
    5. Eye of the Beholder 1
    6. Legend of Grimrock
    7. Mass Effect 1

EDIT: adding Wizardry 7 and 8!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  20. Mykll