What is the best RPG game youve ever played on the pc and why

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by blaquerogue, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Oh yes, i forgot to add that one to my list. Both wizardry 7 AND 8 were spectacular.

The lack of a Wizardry 9 made me sad for many years, and still does.

2. bloodydragon

bloodydragon Avatar

I've been playing old Might and Magics lately, and this looks great. I think I will pick it up on GOG this weekend.

Best RPG for me was U7 Serpent Isle. Yeah it was a little unfinished but I loved the tone, the story and all the "romance." It was the last great Ultima and also kind of sad which fits.

Other favorites: Dragon Warrior on NES, (now THAT was a grind!), World of Xeen, and MM6 and 7.

E: And Ultma Underworld, that was really my first RPG. Got it free with an external CD drive and my life was never the same!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    smack and blaquerogue like this.
  3. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

you should check out "Rage" i think youd like that as well.

Verit and bigta1982 like this.
  4. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

LOL hell yeah i started playing that again as well!

mass likes this.
  5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Can't be bothered. I am one of the i-am-here-because-of-uo :p that being said, the other Ultima version had their own story's. The next iteration of skyrim is still... Well, skyrim ^^

Mykll likes this.
  6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I really wish they would solve the IP mess and do another part.

mass and blaquerogue like this.
  7. Verit

Verit Avatar

SWG (pre-nge):
    Sandbox
    housing, towns, mayors, etc.
    Dynamic crafting resources, harvesters, crafting
    Military faction PvP with civilians, on/off duty

blaquerogue likes this.
  8. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

This is an older game, but the best Role Player Game I have played is Ryzom.

Roleplayers were supported by devs who would organize many wide scale events on a regular basis.
    It was my favourite rpg mainly for the immersion and lore, and how alive the animals felt, there was also
    the change in seasons, where herds of wildlife would band together migrating to the better feeding zone.
    Very sandboxy, with factions, optional pvp, and you were able to train all skills, also fun complicated crafting system.

blaquerogue likes this.
  9. Sea Hunter

Sea Hunter Avatar

It would be what I cut my teeth on in the 80's The original Bards tale series. That is what got me playing RPG's ever since.

Paladin Michael and blaquerogue like this.
  10. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

My gaming origins date back to the original Phantasy Star series, so I'd probably still call that a favorite if only for nostalgia purposes. And another oldie - the Might & Magic series. I feel old.

11. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Those are all great! To this day MM 2 is one of my favorites from childhood. Final Fantasy 2 (on the SNES) also holds a special place in my heart! :D

blaquerogue likes this.
  12. Emso Boydon

Emso Boydon Legend of the Hearth

1.) U VII p1+2 incl isle of fire & silver seed ("Cheaters never win")
    2.) Wizardry 6: Cosmic Forge
    ("That stupid pen? Why didn't you ask? You can have it")
    3.) Planescape Torment
    ("No wonder my back hurts; there's a damn novel written on it.")

smack and blaquerogue like this.
  13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

WOW, yeah i remembered those i loved them too!

14. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Love this one, shame it's still quite glitchy though. Played through it several times now.

I'm curious if anyone has some hidden gems i could try out. As long as it has a great story and characters of course;)

blaquerogue likes this.
  15. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Overall, I'd have to say the 2000's era Neverwinter Nights series. I played that one a lot.

Ultima IV is the first game that impressed me, based upon the mechanic of the virtue system. That same time period had Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord, my first. That was followed by the Bard's Tale, which impressed me based upon the bit-mapped graphics, as opposed to the line drawings on Wizardry. These were all on my Apple //e. The AD&D Gold Box series, starting with Pool of Radiance, were also good. I liked how the town of Phlan changed with the course of your progress in PoR.

Hazard and blaquerogue like this.
  16. kl4nk

kl4nk Avatar

For me the first rpg i really invested time in was dragon warrior on nes. Then many years later baldurs gate. And recently divinity original sin 1 and 2 have to be on top of my list. Thats with out talking about all the classic elder scroll from daggerfall to skyrim.

blaquerogue likes this.
  17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Would be incomplete without Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore and King Quests :)

18. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

On PC for me it would be System Shock 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution (I thought it was stronger than the original overall), Dark Souls (I love the whole series but the worldbuilding and level design of the first one particularly stands out) and I guess Ultima 7.

There's a bunch of others I could name but they are either for console (but might see release on PC - oh hello there Vagrant Story) or fit into other categories such as Point and Click Adventures, Metroidvanias, or what have you.

blaquerogue likes this.
  19. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Agree with all the titles mentioned. Some that weren't, that I think folks should check out if they haven't:

Betrayal at Krondor
    Curse of the Azure Bonds
    Eye of the Beholder
    Shadowrun Returns

Hazard, smack and blaquerogue like this.
  20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Im not going to say my favorite overall, because most succeed in some ways and fail in other ways.

I still think Ultima games were the best in creating well rounded RPGs -- rich virtual worlds, open-ended exploration, free choices, meaningful lore, meaningful and non-linear stories, fun adventuring experiences -- and I think the most well rounded was U5; which isn't to say it was the best in every respect. U7 was really good in terms of story and environment.

I'm still fond of Darklands for creating an open-ended, procedurally generated game, with random adventures, and I liked its combat system for the time, though of course there are obvious ways it could have been better.

UnReal World is a great survival based RPG where you wander around forests, track down deer to eat, gather hard to find herbs to help heal a injury, build a shelter from rain and from the cold winters, run away from robbers and angry bears, raid enemy camps, go on trips north to sell furs... The make-your-own adventure direction of the game is great and keeps the gameplay compelling even with no real story (though there are optional quests).

Skyrim and the Elder Scroll gamees in general were really great in creating the feeling of living, breathing worlds.

Witcher 3 is exceptionally good at storytelling, detail, and atmosphere. It also has a world that is enjoyable to travel For an action based game, I find its combat pretty decent, too, albeit with problems. It also has some definite flaws, which I won't mention as to not upset Lord Darkmoon.

For combat I tend to prefer taxtical RPGs like Shadowrun, although I also find those games extremely limited in the way you're forced into a narrow, linear game experience.

For runners up, I have to at least give credit where credit is due and mention I enjoyed the first Diablo game for being a good roguelike dungeon crawl. I also have fond memories of a lot of old DOS games like Wizard's Crown, Might and Magic, Bards Tale, which, though I don't know if I would call them among the best, had a lot of great aspects they borrowed from pen and paper games and are absent from a lot of modern RPGs.

I did play a bit of Dragon Age Origins; there were things I liked and things I didn't like.

I never got around to playing a lot of games I should have gotten around to playing, like Fallout and Planescape Torment, so that may or may not be the readon those are excluded from my list.

smack, blaquerogue and Alley Oop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.