Why no pvp fighter should flag with the propose ransom changes.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Andartianna, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Thats not a bad idea. Have the pickpocket skill have an accumulation period similar to decay. After you steal you reset to where your max stealable value is low, then increases over time?

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  2. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Would you want something like that for other crafts as well? I don't think so. If someone stays AFK with a PVP flag in an accessable place, he deserves to be looted. They just fixed the mistake they made before... I agree though that catching the thief should be more penalized.

What we need is an idea how not everyone can become a thief so easily.. Maybe make it a subterfuge mastery... just like with magic schools...

3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

My question is can you even catch a thief right now. I havent been able to target a stealthed player for a long time. The old mechanic let you target stealthed people. Oooooo wait i think...err i might of just thought where stealth is OP

4. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

If you know hes pickpocketing just attack him with a spell cast in his direction. I think that should stun him as he is caught for couple of secs.

5. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Reveal hidden has 40 range(radius i think) also you can use the shield of fire, as I know stealing not from afk is already difficult, I never was a thief but I`m two arms for this sandbox component in Sota.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Antrax Artek like this.
  6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Not against stealing. There was a mechanic that you could (most of the time after already being robbed) target somone, they were harder to target the higher thier stealth was, which is still true in PvE.

There was, and afaik still is, a mechanic that long-stuns a thief if he steals from somone that knows they are being stolen from. I liked that if a thief was not good at sneaking around, you could catch them by looking at them an see them stealing.

It kinda makes stealth level moot in pvp cuz its all the same unless youre using sneak

7. kl4nk

kl4nk Avatar

Sorry if it was explain somewhere else , but
    what is the propose change to flagging pvp?

8. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

So if additional characters on the same account share the same virtues and everything else, one character flagged red for whatever reason, causes all characters to be flagged on the same account?

3devious and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  9. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Perhaps if you are caught pick pocketing have them flag like UO and unable to enter towns as guards would kill. Same should go for PVP in towns with Guards. anyone attacking should be flagged red.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  10. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I think guards cant attack players currently.. hense why pvp flagging has to br done in town.

That would involve a morale system.. and guards that distinguish.

11. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

They really need to have that done before release. IMO anyway.

12. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

Are there any players here that think the combat mechanics of this game warrant PVP even being included at this point? Don't we have dozens of abilities with little to no value? A completely inadequate UI that provides the minimum information that pvpers utilize to build strong characters?

I can't be the only person feeling like there are multiple roles, playstyles, and just general stuff that aren't working/viable. Trying to develop PVP on the backbone of a combat system that's this incomplete just feels like a bad idea and inviting WAY more problems and resource consumption than its worth. I've beat this dead horse before, but we REALLY need a stable, informative, streamlined combat experience before we start stacking things on top of it. Eventually, that stack is gonna crumble and do way more damage than if just the foundation itself failed before the structure was placed on top of it.

How much of this crowd is going to be lost if PVP is disabled and put on the backburner in lieu of fixing the combat? More than aren't participating now because the systems in place aren't very good?

Who am I kidding. Over a year of asking and summons are still worthless, the UI is still atrocious, and combat looks like a generic tab-target game from the early 00's. We're two months away from launch, its unlikely that we're gonna get anything major before then. To be clear - that parts the right answer here, introducing major changes before launch is inviting disaster. These systems can't be fixed right now, but they'll need to be eventually.

Cordelayne, 3devious and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

No no no... thats way too rigid.

Remember my friends, massage those neurons.

Only red players could not enter town and be killed on sight (called on sight as well).

Greys were considered fair game in pvp, however they did not automatically mean being the subject of a manhunt. There was many shades of grey, and I always thought there should be more :)

The fun in thieving mechanics is playing around with distractions techniques, stealth and other mechanics to allow you to make a "great heist" there is a pride in that and herein lies the pleasure.

Say I'm a thief, I should be able to sneak around, identify a goal and take small or high risk, if I go for high risk the item will be muuuch harder to steal skill wise, but my thief "level" or "coolness" points whatever you wanna call it will rise.

Say I choose to be a pest and just run around naked and take no risk (cause the more I risk to lose by being caught is also a modifier on the points I gain) then I will end up with a bunch of reagents and easy steals but my "rating" at the thieves guild will go lower, perhaps until a certain point where I would get rejected and end up perma grey, then and only then in towns where I have acquired a very bad reputation I could be called upon on sight.

Thats where the fun really begins, cause you can have players running around stealthed and following a thief, the detective. The goal being to increase the penalty the thief will have to pay (yup grief the thief), so its a higher risk to be one in socially active regions. On the other hand its also possible that a goal for thieves would be to hit that "zone" which is when they reach the maximum coolness points with the thieves guild, which confers them a bonus when going for very hard steals. It's also logical to suggest that consumables be put in a pouch outside the avatar equipment, because they are fragile ingredients you do not carry around in a backpack, and that this pouch for the "hardcore" pvp flag be free game to most thieves. But stealing 150 tungsten ores from my backpack should simply not exist if we go that way, there is no way a thief can take it all at once in his hands and run away, ridiculous, only reason I can carry all that is because I have a good backpack and put those ores in one by one playing tetris :p

So PvPers could chose to play with consumables, which give a significant advantage, but risk seeing some of them stolen more than other items. Pvpers with the "lighter flag" would have a limit on the amount of a certain item that can be stolen, maybe link it to their virtue? Therefore are able to enjoy PvP while thieves are only a nuisance and not a game killer.

I really hope to see skills such as forensics in our game... it would be a chapter with infinite replay value, but very hard to code I admit.

There is honor among thieves, as well. So the ultimate goal of being a thief would be to be a respected one that inspires stories and legends.

Use the rules of the game to push people towards ethical playstyles, and reward them for it even if the action in its core (stealing) is evil, good can come out of it in a fantasy game :p

14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Lol... don't lawyer us bro...

Your sudden white knight post is all around suspicious.

You mean you haven't even stopped to think what the oracle is doing ? You refuse its protection, then turn around, fight in PvP and it comes back and tells you, oh hey , hi.

I'll actually protect this pvper who refused my protection by allowing you to steal only two items from him, which I'm basically insuring as long as he showers me with gold.

Don't you see what is wrong and how it does not allow any nuance in playstyle ?

You can't fix a problem by telling people not to do certain things and saying there case solved, the goal of the game is addressed to the largest player demographic possible, hoping more and more people wish to participate in pvp by giving them choices.

Oh golly that sounds like a fun game everyone will want to play, do you see what I'm doing here ?

Elwyn likes this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It seems there are some people that feel they MUST have the best gear in order to do anything.

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

There's no such thing as flagging red in SotA (unless you just mean PvP).

17. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

So people doing player marketplace RMT here and other websites, they are selling items that don't belong to them? Is Portalarium getting the proceeds of everything being sold then?

Somewhere in here people were talking (this thread or others) about being flagged red and grey. Question still stands. Flagged a certain way on one character on an account, means all character are flagged the same way, because per Portalarium all characters share the exact same virtue amounts?

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Barugon like this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I assume that when they implement some sort of justice system, that is exactly what sharing virtue will do.

Mykll likes this.
  19. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Thanks. Yeah I know some of the shades of virtues are not implemented yet, question is mainly for the future when they are.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  20. Alrik Doom

Alrik Doom Avatar

Opinion : Until we can set trap bags in our inventory, thieves have the upper hand! Even better, let us have lockable inventories that a pickpocket must unlock in order to access inventory!

Idea/Solution : As for people making simple thief only accounts to avoid the pain of being caught, have them reach a min adventure level before allowing them to learn pickpocket!

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  21. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

I see the path towards an optimal solution, but the details are tricky to get right.
    There should be no "flag". No one is protected by the oracle or by any other game mechanics. But unprovoked agression, be it pvp or stealing, should always be at a disadvantage. So that only the most skilled can benefit from abandoning the virtues and become an outlaw.
    Can it be done in a balanced way? I think so. UO had some risk/benefit mechanics and some free shards I played improved it even more.
    I'm more of a sheep than a wolf, but this is still my utopia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.