Subscription Fee

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cordelayne, Jan 10, 2018.

?

Would You Pay A Subscription Fee?

1. YES

38.3%
  2. NO

49.0%
  3. UNDECIDED

12.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3devious

3devious Avatar

2. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Why can't the perk be "you don't have to remember to send your $5 during the four hour window?"

3. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I'll pay a subscription for a game that gives me equal access to the same things as everyone else and keeps the game going.

SotA is not that game and the proposed model is just a regular "preorder" on telethon rewards and some premium currency as far as I can tell. Which is OK I guess given SotA's F2P game business model but it's not something I'd pay for.

4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

@DarkStarr
    Here's my issue with the proposal:

I think in its current proposed state, the subscription is simply offering a convenience option to regular players which I think many are likely to go ahead and do, but its really not changing anything. I can spend my 5$ on the first of each month via recurring payment, or I can spend it during the telethon which I'm going to watch anyway, and actually get something. Having the 5$ "count" is nice and all, but I'd rather spend the 5$ and get yet another bamboo tree 3-pack, rather than get nothing.

I know that many people like myself have little to no self control and nearly always spend more than $5. There aren't a lot of items that are priced just at $5 either, so I'll spend 8 or 10 or whatever. Sometimes I go nuts, too. Are you not concerned that by considering peoples' participation "fulfilled" that they would make no such additional purchases, thus reducing the overall income?

Some other ideas....

Having a subscription that gave some sort of in-game convenience feature would be more desirable in my case.

Like a subscriber buff that gives you always-on of all the coto potions, for example. I would certainly pay a monthly fee for that, and non-subscribers could achieve all or part of this through the current means.
    I've never once gone to the store to buy cotos for the buffs, as cotos (or the potions) are available in game and/or cheaper from players, so its not like you'd be losing that purchase, but you'd be saving me hassle of messing about reapplying the things every week. If you think all of them is overkill, then offer a few different subscriber options but the point is they'd stay active as long as your subscription did.

Or perhaps a different buff entirely unique to subscribers that gives some small benefit.

I'm much more likely to subscribe for some sort of perk. Fulfilling my telethon obligation I'm going to do anyway and actually get some deco out of it, and throwing a few cotos my way doesn't really sweeten it. - if I want cotos, I'll buy cotos.

I don't really see a down-side. The truth is, the pay-to-win ship sailed long ago, at least this way the money would be going to the developers instead of the player that's getting paid for xp or gear or real estate....

5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I'm curious as to winning what exactly, pvp arena tourneys ? King of the hill ? :p

6. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yeah, I dunno either, lol

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

back in the day when the whole live animation team was fired GMs and Seers... the story was cut short and I guess alot of people cried after losing their job and hobby but by some magic trick... there was a celebration.

Some stranger had defeated the FoA and was crowned and showered with gold by Lord British.

Was it still Lord British or was it lord british, in that time we didn't know but it sure felt like some impostor.

Yup great storyline, superb intrigue. Hundreds of people has worked on it for years, to make sure it was ready for large scale deployment on many shards with associated teams... it was beautiful and grand. There was something to win back then, we were all on the edge of our seats...

*sheds a tear of nostalgia*

and it ended like that... someone flipped off the switch, EA takeover, RMT takeover.

Since then everyone is the main hero, they must have the nice stats, the nice gear, the next tier.

But noone is looking for a chance at true nobility, in a structure that roots itself upon the sacred altar of the RPG gods.

And kings, and queens.

Alas...

8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

We are living under Blackthorn's rule once again. We have virtues....enforced by law! You must love, or you will be expelled, you must be truthful, as long as it's Blackthorn's truth! Have courage, unless you go against Blackthorn! These are the times we live in.....U5, not U7.

Cordelayne and LastChance like this.
  9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

yea... I'm really scared :p

come to papa gringo :D

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

hey @Berek feel free to moderate me, I know this is about subscriptions but that is the kinda thing I'd be willing to pay a subscription for... even if its utopic and all, happy threading, I'm out.

wee :)

11. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Whaaaat?

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  12. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

A convenience subscription to support Port... no qualms here as it seems like a great idea.

I'll sign me and my entire guild up right now :D.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Numa like this.
  13. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Do it like DDO did it...
    Subscriptions get access to everything immediately. Including early access to new zones etc. They also got monthly perks (equiv of cotos and gfifts every month)
    Everything in the game was still F2P, but you had to earn it through meeting criteria in-game.
    This gives F2P people a REAL reason to grind other than grinding... Gives sub people additional perks for their contribution. Gives Portalarium a steady cash flow that they can predict, helping make game decisions without having to rely on auctions.

14. darkskwerl

darkskwerl Avatar

Personally, I would, under OP's stated example. I was actually thinking about this last night as I was watching more of the telethon. I'd still watch the telethons, and potentially make purchases during if something jumped out at me. But being "auto-subscribed" to the telethon rewards would be handy for times when I just can't make it to the live broadcast.

15. St Drahcir

St Drahcir Avatar

I see a ton of posts and I haven't read them all, but I will just cast my .02 and keep it as short as possible.

I'm one of the old time gamers that is used to Sub fees. Then again though we also did have GM's responding ingame to players and GM run events. So it felt like you got something for your "contribution".

This new day and age of Free to Play and get "goodies" like experience pots and such from a market is not my style.

I do however like the new Sub fee system where you get perks (who doesn't like sparkly crap) for your monthly Sub fees.

So either way - if me paying a monthly fee means the game will grow and prosper. Then so be it.

Afterall - they have monthly bills to pay as well like the rest of us.

16. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

The game always had the promise of:
    • Shroud of the Avatar is a “buy-to-play” game that, once purchased, does not require a subscription to play!

So as long as it is optional with no benefits to game play, then I have no problem with it.

Elwyn, Ahuaeynjgkxs and moxiepilot like this.
  17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yeah our SOTA has taken alot from the Guild Wars model... which I think is a good thing for launching the game, if interests stay high I'm sure portalarium will come with some innovation that will make it worth it to subscribe and give them a fixed budget to work with.

Cheers :)

18. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

Would You Pay A Subscription Fee?
    No and that would be the end of SOTA.

19. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Why would an optional subscription fee be the end of SOTA?

Numa likes this.
  20. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

you mean me myself AND I? lol
    {Edit: for those who don't know.. Sara's guild is like drama central...it's Sara, and all the alts of Sara...talk about bickering.. jeesh }

As for myself.. nah.. no more subscription games for me... I have subscriptions (not gaming) to enough junk as it is. One of the reasons I bought in, and at the various levels I did was because it was a pay once thing... at least in my mind. That's what I took it for when I paid for accounts to have access to all 5 episodes. I haven't actually added it up... but if I were to calculate how many months my current investment would be good for (at $5/mo) I'd consider myself to have prepaid for my great great grandkids.

It just seems to me that if the game is successful they shouldn't need subs. There will always be some ornate type stuff in the store to attract buyers, so if you can organically expand the player base the natural buying tendencies of the masses should more than cover the "nut" and... do so w/o creating another source for negative buzz.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Sara Dreygon, Xandra7, Elwyn and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.