Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Resolved w/ workaround] Unable to enter my own POT

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Womby, Jan 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Womby

Womby Avatar

1/17/2018 12:59 AM
    Title: Unable to enter my own POT (Isle of Ghosts)
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? Yes
    Details: This was reported in R49, and has not been resolved. I am able to spawn on Novia, and from there I am able to enter PaxLair (more taxing on my PC than Isle of Ghosts, I would have thought), but I cannot enter Brittany Alleys. When I attempt to enter IoG, the client gets as far as loading the scene, but not as far as spawning my character. The scene is frozen - ocean not moving. RAM usage did not exceed 50%. The CPU activity for SotA varied from 2% to 4% and was still active when I killed the client after ten minutes.
    Steps to Reproduce: Take possession of my character (standing helpfully on Novia right next to IoG) and try to enter IoG. Maybe you will succeed. I know of someone else who has no problems entering my POT. Unfortunately, I cannot.
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz (8) System RAM: 16373
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5900 Series GPU RAM: 2020
    SotA.EarlyAccess.QA.Win.64.612.Date.01.15.18
    Area: Novia
    Area Display Name: Novia
    Loc: (210.4, 11.6, 178.2)
    Debug: Tm92aWF8fCgyMTAuMzg0LCAxMS42MDIsIDE3OC4yNDQpfCgwLCAtMC4zNjcsIDAsIC0wLjkzKXw0My4zNDE3NXwzNy4zOTg3OXwyMA==

Further observation: The minimum system requirements for GPU are ATI Radeon HD 3870. The HD 5900 series is more powerful than that but is perhaps still not up to the task. Should the minimum system requirements be updated? Normally I use a PC with an original series Titan, but that PC is currently out of commission (dead power supply).

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

@Womby - Can you load into game on Novia and then type /debug into the chat box and then try to enter your POT?

If there are any critical errors, it would show up on there and might be able to help diagnose this issue.

3. chrisjwhite

chrisjwhite Avatar

I don't know if it's possible since I don't own a town, but can you change the default "spawn in" location? Make it the edge of town or something.

4. Womby

Womby Avatar

I have continued this in R50 QA here. Added /debug log. Also below:

[​IMG]

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

that's page 1 of 3. page control in lower right of box.

6. Mischievous Dragon

Mischievous Dragon Riparian Reaper

That one is a Dual-GPU ATI AMD Radeon HD 5970. :D

7. Womby

Womby Avatar

My bad. Here's the rest:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

There are no errors present as Error has 0 on that debug info....I don't think it will be helpful for us in this situation, I'm afraid.
    @Womby I need to know what you have done to troubleshoot this so far. Have you tried a clean install?
    We can log into your account and load into your PoT just fine, so it isn't the account itself. It could possibly be hardware related, but we cannot tell without narrowing down a few things first (like the clean install portion)
    I'm also a little confused about your post. You mention you cannot enter your PoT, but you also state Brit Alleys. It's both you cannot enter, right?

9. Womby

Womby Avatar

Correct, I cannot enter both. I noticed in the log a couple of things timed out (player spawn location and equipment load). Interestingly the client hangs at the point in time where the player character is about to spawn. Is this relevant?
    I'll try a re-install.

10. Lexie

@Womby
    Thanks, let us know if it happen after that. It could be a corrupt file. Also, if you are not already, I'd try lowering the graphics setting (if you haven't yet) and make sure you are on a wired connection (not wireless). Your location says Australia, so lag could be partially related. Maybe. Sorry to hear about your alt PC btw....

11. Womby

Womby Avatar

I deleted the game from Steam, then re-installed. I set the Quality Level to Fastest, and the resolution to 1024 x 768. It still hangs before completing the load.
    My crazy half-baked theory is that something that is required for the load to complete has timed out (see log warning "Player Spawn Location: Exceeded wait time of 10 seconds for PlotManager.IsOkToPlaceLoca..."). That is preventing the spawn of the player character, required for load completion.

12. Mischievous Dragon

@Womby Any chance you are moving the in-game camera before the player character is about to spawn?

13. Womby

Womby Avatar

No. Totally hands off the mouse. Simply observing.

14. Mischievous Dragon

@Womby Well then... What can you tell about the PSU (Power Supply Unit)?
    Is it at least 650W or better? If you don't know, then maybe you could open the case and check it from the sticker of the PSU.
    The recommended PSU Wattage (W) for the ATI Radeon HD 5970 2Gb is 650W and for the ATI Radeon HD 5970 CF 2Gb is 850W.

Lexie likes this.
  15. Womby

Womby Avatar

Hmm. The PC is off the shelf - I didn't build it. I would like to think that the company that built it was competent. Nevertheless, I'll check the power supply when it becomes convenient to do so. However I am able to play Ark without problems, and that game is an unoptimised nightmare for many players, so I don't think the power supply is the problem.

(Keep in mind that wattage on a sticker is only part of the story. There are three primary voltage rails inside of the power supply: +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. Each of these supplies power to the various components of the computer system. The value on the sticker is the sum of these but says nothing about the current available for each voltage. Also, the wattage stated may be the peak output rating, which is the highest amount of power the unit can supply - but this is only for a very brief time. So, the number on the sticker could show that the supply is inadequate, but would not necessarily prove that it was adequate. )

16. Lexie

@Womby You're right about Ark...but they use a different engine. Curious to know if you play any other unity based video games without issues? I had a problem on another unity engine game (hanging on load screen) where the latest Nvidia drivers fixed the issue, but I'm mot sure about AMD...

You are on directx 12? Are you temporarily disabling any anti-virus programs at the time strictly for testing purposes?
    I'm so sorry the fresh re-install didn't help. But the more we know about what does work, the more we can narrow in on the problem.
    For anyone else out there who may be reading this, do you know of anyone else who absolutely cannot load into a scene?
    Power supplies are notorious for failing at a certain point. Does your machine ever just mysteriously shut off? (It can be a symptom, but not always)
    I hope to get to the bottom of this. I'm sure this is very frustrating for you.

17. Womby

Womby Avatar

1. Directx 11
    2. Not disabling anti-virus (am only using default MS one, but can try disabling it)
    3. Machine does not shut off without me telling it to

My next test will be loading without anti-virus.

18. Womby

Womby Avatar

Still does not work with Windows Defender Real-time protection disabled. Also whitelisted the corresponding Steam SotA directory.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  19. Womby

Womby Avatar

Next test: try playing The Forest (built with Unity).

20. Womby

Womby Avatar

I decided to try single player mode. Got through the floating island scene (love the improvements - really beautiful!), then the game hung in Blood River when attempting to exit. Killed the game, killed Google Chrome (notorious resource hog) and resumed the game. I took a few steps and again it froze.
    I get the feeling that there is something wrong with my PC, although so far only SotA triggers the fault. Anyone know of any non-destructive PC diagnostics I can run?

[​IMG]

UPDATE: I managed to resume by switching to slow walk (slash), and got to Blood River Outskirts loading screen, where the game hung.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.