1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

R50 & R51: Skill Unlearning 100% Return

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

For R50 and R51, all skill unlearning will return 100% of the experience that was spent on them. We made this change because of the major changes to combat math, ransom, and movement speed that some players might feel invalidate skills they invested in.

As a reminder here are those changes from the R50 Instructions:
    • New Combat Math: We have made major changes to how combat math is calculated. We have done away with the old 0-100 system and replaced it with a weighted scale system. The vast majority of players will not notice any difference but high end players will likely notice that some of their tricks to completely avoid being hit will no longer work. Additionally, the attack roll is now split into multiple rolls which makes it possible to have a combination of things happen. For instance, it is now possible to parry a critical hit or get a glancing blow that you also block with your shield.
    • Ransom Changes: We have made several changes and improvements to how ransoming items works that are gained in PVP (either through combat or pickpocketing).
      • Notification: You now get an onscreen notification that you have lost an item through PVP or pickpocketing. There is an intentional 5 minute delay before a ransom icon appears after being pickpocketed. As in life, you don’t often notice theft until it’s too late.
      • Duration Increase: The time to pay the ransom has increased from 2 hours to 24 hours, to give players plenty of time to gain their items back.
      • Valuation: Crafted items and artifacts are now worth much more when ransomed.
      • Item Selection: The way items are randomly selected for ransom has changed so that we only consider each item type once, so many small stacks of an item type only count as a single chance during the selection process (i.e. those of you that have been using many different stacks of items as “defense” are out of luck).
    • Max Movement Speed Check: Effects that modify movement speed can only allow stack to a maximum of two. Additionally, their effects add together instead of multiplying each other as they did previously. This should fix the issue where stacking various buffs and artifacts with movement effects would produce insane movement rates.

2. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Does this include crafting skills?

3. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Yes unlearning has always included all skills

4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Thank you, GREAT news!

5. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I dont understand why the unlearn... The major change are in the calculations, not any particular skill right? I mean all skill will be affected equally or so... Its not like if a skill was changing definition directly.

6. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

I think it's in prevision of R51 major changes

Brass Knuckles and Numa like this.
  7. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

In case anyone wondering how to unlearn skills you can use an obsidian scroll , place it in inventory then right click the skill you wish to unlearn (its instant and 90% xp back) or..... click the arrow top of skill till its red it will slowly unlearn while you do stuff like fight or refine.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Albus, Chatele, Numa and 2 others like this.
  8. Obsidian Tempest

Obsidian Tempest Avatar

I understand what you are saying above. I'm not clear on the item(s) taken from my inventory. . Does this mean that if I have 5 stacks of 50 Black Pearl and the item selected for removal from my inventory is black pearl, Do I lose all my pearl or one of the stacks? Same for arrows. I carry 10k of arrows. Will I lose all my arrows?

margaritte likes this.
  9. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

While you can unlearn using the obsidian, Chris mentioned that it's not a 100% return, it is still only its default value of 90% while choosing unlearn in the skills window will be. However, he might have changed his mind and, if so, ignore this post.

Is anyone brave enough to test whether the obsidian scroll is 100% or not? Or maybe @Chris or @DarkStarr can confirm whether the scroll is giving 100% or something else.

Spoon likes this.
  10. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I tested scroll on a field dress skill i had at GM it gave back 90% XP

[​IMG]

11. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Don't think that's 100%, looks more like 90% to me from your picture...

Elrond and discipleofweb like this.
  12. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

You are right just checked XP table guess its 90%..i edited my first post so its not misleading.
    [​IMG]

Albus and Bow Vale like this.
  13. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I just changed this and will probably just leave it at 100%. It will be in the second patch. Watch for the patch note to be sure.

14. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Keep in mind it won't go below 40 if there is a skill below that needs it as a requirement to be unlocked.

15. Dereck Visaard

Dereck Visaard Avatar

Is there any reason to keep the base refining skills greater than 40? For example, the base smelting skill doesn't appear to be used in calculations for the new batching, speed, and efficiency skills other than for the minimum requirement of 40 to learn them. Am I missing something, or is it safe to unlearn the base refining skills without side-effects?

16. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Its suppose to increase refine success chance , so higher the skill , less fails when refining.. no tooltip now though.

Alley Oop and Dereck Visaard like this.
  17. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

HEY, might want to check on 100% return on crafting skills. I did my base tanning from 67-66 and should have gotten 4k back, instead got like 1300, tested once more 66-65 (even a bit below the end of 65) should be 4315 and got 1227. Can anyone else give confirmation?

18. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

@DarkStarr @Chris

Importante... You two sure that crafting is returning 100% XP as stated above?

19. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Just curious about this new math system. Did it change hitting mobs from behind. I have noticed that mobs can parry your hits from behind and damage/crit chance from behind also reduced drastically. I would appreciate clarification if it is a bug or intended. If intended then this new combat math reduced a dual weild swordsman damage who uses body slam by about 30 to 40 percent. R/Boris/El Pirata

20. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

@DarkStarr - In light of the new "Mastery" skill additions that Chris / Atos will be adding in R51... perhaps this 100% unlearn should extend into R52 as well? With so many new options to try out that can greatly impact our current builds, 1 month isn't really enough time to test them all to find what we like best since we are going to be limited to have only 2.

I think an extra month would be very helpful and welcomed so that we can figure these things out.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Senjut likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.