Language

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul Lopes, Jan 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Lopes

Paul Lopes Avatar

你能設計一個語言翻譯系統,可以在會話中自動翻譯嗎?

2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Google
    Can you design a language translation system that can be automatically translated in a conversation?

I think thats hard to do.

3. Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose Avatar

I don't think its hard to do really

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Please, show us how.

5. Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose Avatar

hmm can you meet me at grunvald shardfall, I will show you

6. Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose Avatar

7. Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose Avatar

I would love to train you, yes I would

8. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Indeed it's a hard problem. I would even say it's a "magical" level of hard. I sure haven't seen anyone else doing that anywhere, not merely games.

Square Enix tried that back in 2002 with their system of canned phrases for FFXI. They had mostly Japanese and English players, but at one time also had support for German and French. (For some reason they did not decide to support Spanish.) It wasn't a disaster, but it didn't work so well. It had canned phrases like {Looking for members.} and {Please invite me.} (see here for the full list) What was really annoying was that FFXI went out of its way to disable IME support in non-Japan clients, making it impossible, if you knew the language, to properly converse with East Asian players without using a 3rd-party hack.

While I understand that Chinese happens to have a similar word order to English, the same is not true for Japanese, which is strictly reverse word order of Spanish, and almost reverse of English. This makes even live human translation difficult because you have to remember the whole sentence to translate it properly. And there are words that are spelled the same in English but mean different things in different contexts. For instance, {Reward} in English usually means payment for a bounty, but the canned translation referred to a game ability of giving a pet a treat for doing a trick. So they added a second canned translation of {Reward:} (with the extra colon) to mean bounty, but only a few veteran players ever knew about it, so it became just another "dumb gaijin" test.

But at least Unity has IME (Input Method Editor) support. Translation is a messy business, so perhaps the original question was actually about IME support? There's an important difference between "translation" and "transliteration". If you know the language, and have input support in your operating system, you can type in it.

With SotA, the main rule (at least in Windows) is that IME support can only be enabled when a text input field is active. When the game is not in text input mode, it needs raw keyboard support, and Windows will refuse to let you enable it properly. I've also had difficulty using it in full-screen mode, perhaps partly because Windows really really wants to completely disable the windowing system, and IME is usually controlled via the task bar or a window. I think ALT+SHIFT is the code to switch between EN and another language, if you're doing it blind.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  9. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Second Life is not what I would call an actual game but it does have auto-translation devices sold in its marketplace and I think the Firestorm viewer has it built-in... I'm not a technical person so I wouldn't really know how hard to implement something like that in a game like SotA though...

10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Do you speak Chinese?

Elwyn likes this.
  11. smack

smack Avatar

If all you wan to to do is pass all text through google translate without regard for what comes out the other end, it's probably not hard (e.g. Google Cloud Translation API).

But if you want to ensure that the translated text is correct, that's a much bigger problem that Google and others are still trying to solve. Maybe a few decades from now when the Singularity arrives.

Elwyn, Stundorn and Kabalyero like this.
  12. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

interesting steam survey today, it directed me to this page afterwards

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

DECEMBER 2017 (CLICK LINE ITEM TO SEE MORE DETAIL)
    ITEM
    MOST POPULAR
    PERCENTAGE
    CHANGE

Language
    Simplified Chinese
    63.90%
    0.00%

I had no idea chinese was the more popular language until right now 0.o I trust Sota comes in chinese already, I never looked.

THE HENDOMAN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.