Rest in Peace Bag Mode

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lained, Jan 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lained

Lained Avatar

I wonder how many others like myself were waiting on a more fully featured usable bag mode?
    Alas my resurrection skill is too low, farewell bag mode.

[​IMG]

2. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I tried bag mode for like 10 seconds and decided it wasn't worth using. The realism just wasn't as efficient and easy to use as list mode.

I don't think anything could have been done to improve it to be a viable option because of the simple fact of not being able to find what you want if there are more than like 20 items in your bag. Sure, you could drag things around to find what you want, but who wants to waste time doing that?

I think it was a great decision to remove this feature and not waste resources on keeping it or making it better.

3. Koss

Koss Avatar

Lol. I didn't know you could switch.

4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Disappointing and another blow to the immersion of the game.
    I don't know how often it was asked to improve this mode but nothing was done.
    So we are now playing in excel lists - very immersive...

5. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

I used it at the start but it had too many problems early on in moving assets around, was pretty clunky. Its definitely more immersive though in general. I guess we won't have UO style bag art.

[​IMG]

Mykll and smack like this.
  6. mass

mass Avatar

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo.....

Oh wait, list mode is nice :)

hroth, CrazyPhil, Vox Aquila and 6 others like this.
  7. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I like the Bag Mode but it's hard to use specially if there are tons of items. If there was a way to organize or sort things in rows or columns and maybe add a way to page through the contents then maybe people might start using it.

8. Corv

Corv Avatar

I think that is the reason no one used it. I didn't know either and would DEFINITELY have used it. Ultima feeling!!!

9. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Woah wait you played on Napa Valley? Name/Guild years played? Bet we played together at some point! I didnt even realize SOTA had a bag mode.

10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Exactly. Another "Ultima feature" gone. Another step towards MMORPG and away from single player.
    I can't understand how Richard Garriott could have approved this.
    So instead of fixing things and trying to improve things in order to get more immersion into the game it is removed. Great.
    This makes me angry. Really. Bad decision :(

AvatarGG, Astirian, Mapper and 2 others like this.
  11. moxiepilot

moxiepilot Avatar

Had no idea there were other bag modes other than list...

Mapper, Numa and xadoor like this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

It was a good decision IMO because they should have from the beginning had either one or the other, not both.

They could have definitely improved it to be more usable. The bag mode in both U7 and UO was more usable than the one in Shroud. It came down to simple things. For example, in the older Ultima games, objects were the size you'd expect, and when you stacked them, they looked stacked. In Shroud, you could have a stack of 20 Cotton that looked like a single piece of cotton, sized big enough to cover up a piece of armor. This created a usability nightmare. Add on top of that some gameplay lag affecting click-and-drag.

But they made it clear very early on they weren't going to prioritize the steps necessary to make it usable. Plus, the most compelling aspects of the freeform bag system (like hiding items) were nullified by having a list option, making its value pointless.

So even as someone who might have favored the freeform system if done right, I used the list option.

Giving all that as true, they were right to take it out.

CrazyPhil, Numa and Nietzsche like this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The ONLY reason I was using list mode was because I was waiting for the bugs to get fixed. :(

14. oplek

oplek Avatar

I tried it for 3 minutes, found it impractical, and went back.

I'd rather they spent the time working on things like stacking functions in the normal inventory, etc.

15. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Still waiting for Grid mode to be added :p Even if grid mode was still alphabetically sorted instead of being able to move stuff around it would be nice to be able to have larger icons and see more stuff at once.

Hornpipe likes this.
  16. mass

mass Avatar

That's the thing, bag mode was one of those nostalgic, 'seems like a good idea on paper' kind of things. But in this kind of game, inventory management is not easy to begin with.

What might be nice, though, is a more ornate, more visually representative list mode. That might get us closer to what we want (and easier than developing two conflicting modes).

Astirian and Numa like this.
  17. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

18. redfish

redfish Avatar

Nah, my point was that if they made it work more like it did in the older games, it would have been much more usable. I was pointing out huge flaws in the Shroud implementation that didn't exist in Ultima.

Of course, it also doesn't help when you tilt the game towards grinding and looting everything in sight, because then you create scenarios where people have 50 swords in their bag that don't stack. But not everyone plays like that, and the game never had to be designed as oriented towards that. Its also a different design from the Ultima series, and Shroud wasn't supposed to be about grinding, either. So, when you say "this kind of game", you're already saying a mouthful.

mass likes this.
  19. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

This is the exactly reason I was using list mode. RIP

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I liked the idea of bag mode but every time I turned it on, I remembered why I don't use bag mode.

Mithras, Gregg247, Elwyn and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.