Berek - Locking and Deleting Threads

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oeneusc, Feb 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oeneusc

Oeneusc Avatar

Many of us take time off and allow the game to mature for a while. We come back and check everything out and try to catch up. To me there's no such thing as a necro thread.

If person A starts calling person B a jackalope then why does the entire thread get locked. Delete the A&B name calling if it's in violation. It takes semi-literate people like me more than a few minutes to hen peck some broken English and when I hit post the thread is locked!

2. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Well, I understand this. I assume it's not always so easy to manage it - even for Berek ;)

Mykll likes this.
  3. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

Luckily deleting doesn't actually remove any threads from existence, nor does it stop discussions from continuing. It just makes it slightly more difficult.

Mykll likes this.
  4. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

*sigh* sadly.. I do not possess your skill set

5. Astor Cerberus

Astor Cerberus Avatar

The problem with necro'ing is that much of the information in the 11 page of light-hearted banter is no longer true, relevant, etc. I suspect that many people who are not on daily see these threads and assume they're new, and filled with news. And then the whole light-hearted discussion starts again, this time with some mis-information.

If you're just reading to inform yourself then don't comment on an ancient thread, and if you're genuinely trying to learn more then post a new thread referencing the old thread and ask if anything has changed since this original thread.

It's also difficult for a single mod to try to tackle every post that comes up in a derailed thread, locking it keeps the conversation there for others to see without needless censoring. Deleting individual posts while still trying to keep the context in the post is more than a challenge, and definitely a full time job.

Elwyn and Elnoth like this.
  6. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hi Oeneusc!

The thread doesn't get locked solely for that reason, but we do have to keep the topics and conversations under control. Usually it's contested topics anyway that end up getting locked.

We will also separately moderate within whenever possible. For example, you will notice that now there are no longer "3-2-1" comments here, which are posts that do not contribute in any way to the conversation...

7. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Those 3...2...1... comments are based on your recent moderation practices which make them relevant to the topic of the thread.

"Please do not create new threads about moderation questions. Ask us directly. Closing this thread as well." ---- @Berek

Mykll and Tetsu Nevara like this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Berek
    I started to ask you this in a PM, but decided to ask it here since I'm sure there are others who'd like to know.
    What do you mean by contested topics ?
    Could you cite an example for us please ?

9. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

''Personal arguments are not allowed in threads '' ~Berek

10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Blackghost
    Where is the line between conflicting opinions and personal arguments ?

Mykll likes this.
  11. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

example - in a convo about decay

me "you are wrong and just an ass trying to stir ****" personal attack
    vs
    someone else "you are wrong its better for long term player retention" conflicting opinion on topic

12. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

OR... "With all due respect, I disagree. IMO..." etc

it's messed up though that one little determined troll can get an entire thread locked... it's really annoying

Mykll, Ahuaeynjgkxs, Verit and 3 others like this.
  13. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

its going to get worse and worse as we get closer to release in my honest opinion...

the berek and co better be ready.

while I don't expect shroud to set the world on fire. official launch is going to get attention to a certain extent and there is a population following the game that seems to want nothing more than to see if fail... not just fail but go down in flames and taking everyone with it.

better be prepared as the rmt power leveling was just the opening gambit :p

maybe... lol

14. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Let me suggest some:
    Will skill decay doom SotA?
    Should we have rune books full of recall scrolls?
    Skill caps or not?
    Open vs consensual PvP

All of these topics go 'round and 'round, folks get more adamant and entrenched, as it continues without value except to those who like to hear/see their own voice.

EMPstrike likes this.
  15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Thank you @Mugly Wumple for speaking for Berek, and for your thoughtful input.
    I take it from your response, that any posts regarding a like or dislike of decay should be immediately locked .
    Something - (decay for instance) - that has been shown to be overwhelmingly unpopular in the view of the majority, should not be discussed at all.....
    Is that correct ?

16. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

The moderation here is over the top and truly toxic. Some "good standing with the Community" guys can post what they want, other people get deleted seconds after posting. Locking up every negative or critical post is just Censorship.
    You cant start a Discussion if it gets locked down every time it comes to a critical point. And the reason for reopening topics like skill caps and decays is also a problem of the communication, because these threads get locked without any answer other then "do not talk about it anymore". I am not happy with the moderation and think Berek does not do a good job on that point. This already reflected outside this forum and even some articles talk about the moderation and people go to reddit because they dont want to get their topic shut down again.

With other words, let the discussion be a discussion and only moderate when they hurt the forum rules (mocking the game is not against the rules btw). This is not your safe space here

Mykll likes this.
  17. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

This is not a public square. This is a forum in a private corporation's servers. They can restrict and moderate anything they want and that is well within their rights to do so. Bemoaning that this is a private space makes no sense. It doesn't change anything.

Elwyn and moxiepilot like this.
  18. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

"Excessively post topics, threads, or titles designed to grab attention (i.e. clickbait), including repeated petitions or demands for features or actions, especially if we’ve already responded to such topics."

When something has already been covered before, this is the rule being broken when people keep bringing it up over and over again.

Antrax Artek and Koss like this.
  19. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

Thats why there rules out there. Is it ok to get n account strike if you did not hurt the rules at all? Just because the Moderator does not like you? That like going to a debate with n biased moderator. He should be neutral or this Forum will not work

20. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

That's not how business works. Like I said this isn't a public square.

Elwyn and moxiepilot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.