Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Good luck getting thru Vauban Pass, more difficult now

Discussion in 'Release 38 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Arya Stoneheart, Jan 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

I will be trying the alternate route thru Spindrift Passage since the way thru is much more difficult and confusing that it was before.

Cordelayne and FrostII like this.
  2. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

This is really disappointing since we were told during the Telethon that getting thru Vauban would be easier and now seems to be the opposite.

I also go through the alternate route to get to the Avatar's Crypt since someday the default route may be a multiplayer only PVP zone.

FrostII likes this.
  3. Lace

Lace Avatar

Vaunbaun was like the hardest I felt before .. you are scaring me now brother!

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

My bind point is the Port Graff town crier. ;)

5. Selene

Selene Avatar

I just climbed the rocks near one of the houses and popped down the other side. Easy peasy. :)

Rentier, Beli, Alexander and 4 others like this.
  6. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Bingo. Explore a bit.

Rentier, Alexander and Caree Death like this.
  7. Womby

Womby Avatar

There are much more interesting ways to get through. I recommend exploring the wheat field. Easy is boring. :)

CatherineRose and By Tor like this.
  8. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Looking into what changed. Only change that I was aware of was in the final wave mobs.

Rentier and DancingShade like this.
  9. Womby

Womby Avatar

Most journeys through the pass do not involve trying to capture the control point.

For those who simply want to traverse Vauban Pass, and have no interest in holding the control point, the changes are dramatic. Getting through Vauban Pass used to be a case of running the gauntlet. Medium difficulty enemies, but lots of them lined along a single route through the pass. If you had enough health you would simply run through out of combat. If you died you would complete the journey as a ghost. Very straightforward, hard to get lost. Also kinda boring.

Now the player is presented with seemingly fewer, more powerful enemies in less predictable locations along a much greater variety of routes. The increase in the number of different paths is excellent, but initially can lead to dead ends where players find themselves out of their depth. That will pass as people become more familiar with the layout, but right now the pass looks very different and very dangerous.

@discipleofweb In reality if you are familiar with the layout then if you have no interest in defending the control point it is easier than before.

10. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

I will try the climbing route even though there should be another exit down where the control point is located.

11. Womby

Womby Avatar

There is another exit down there. Check the wall for a switch that will open a nearby gate.

Rentier and By Tor like this.
  12. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

I know its a new map but spending a little time with the map first before posting a knee jerk response that might incite panic in others would be more helpful in the testing process. As others have noted it is actually easier now than before not harder once you take the time to explore.

13. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Yeah the climb can be done. It would still be nice to have a toll bypass like the one in Eastreach Gap.

14. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

I think this map looks great. I died of course trying to traverse it, but after doing a little ghost exploring I think I noticed what you all are talking about and hopefully should be easier next time.

15. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Tried Vauban Pass now the first time - heading in direction Desolis. My character is a level 58 or so mage in cloth robes... I entered the map and was greeted by two hardened skeleton archers. With the help of the resurrection ankh I manage to outlive the skeletons and sneaked around. After two more pointless deaths I floated as a ghost through some rocks, finally got stuck and exited the game to relog.
    Maybe I had bad luck but for the next 10 adventure levels or so I guess I will resort to recall/teleport to get in and out Drachenfels.
    Compared to the other passes this seems still to be one of the harder ones.

16. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

It was confusing at first.. but after a little exploring it's actually a lot easier than the older map. Fewer bad guys and pretty straight forward once you find the north exit. Now it's a breeze to get through and a lot quicker than the last version.

Stella Emily Moon and Alexander like this.
  17. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

it is amazing - I was coming on to say how amazing I thought VPass was now :) I like the challenge of a speed run, the randomness of crippling archers, the fishing holes, the npc battles... It feels huge, its action packed ... maybe a 5.5 skull area?

THE HENDOMAN

majoria70 likes this.
  18. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I'm loving it too. Haven't found the fishing holes yet which is another reason to love it - lots of places to explore and things to do.

19. Michellia

Michellia Avatar

is there another way to spite without going through the f#$$#%$$$ pass

20. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Moon gate to Brookside or via Bloodbay

StarLord and Spoon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.