Watermill opinions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fiero Steele, Feb 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numa

Numa Avatar

This solution is too complex. Each waterside lot in a POT is placed by it's governor for any waterside home - not just for watermill homes. And the bodies of water ingame differ ranging from rivers to lakes to seashore biomes.

To rotate the house, the lot itself has to be rotated by the governor and this is everytime the lot owner changes his mind (maybe even changing his house). Just visit Kingsport which has 3-5 lighthouses on both sides of the river in what is a very short stretch and you'll what the potential amount of work is involved. No governor will be willing to do it for long.

The simplest fix is to relocate the wheel to the back of the house so at least the wheel is aligned with the river. Having to the wheel rotate in the right direction is another matter.

Paladin Michael likes this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

No i mean the devs could rotate the model so it places differently, then modify the entrance.

Paladin Michael and Numa like this.
  3. Numa

Numa Avatar

Ah ok - sorry if I misunderstood. That would really be a new type of house then since all the ones we've had so far are static.

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

:D Maybe Im just miscommunicating a bit. I don't mean dynamically adjusting the house rotation...

Just that some people want the wheel moved to a different side, and I'm saying for the concern of aesthetics, they might accomplish the same thing by just turning the building, which would as a consequence move the wheel in the correct place...

5. Numa

Numa Avatar

Just to be clear, currently you have no choice on how to orient a house on a lot. Once you use the lot UI to plunk it down, the front of the house automatically faces the lot marker. The governor can change how the lot itself is oriented though now I'm not sure myself how far he/she can go in a waterside situation.

Are you recommending that the devs make a least some houses re-orientable by the lot owner?

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Grr no, just that they change the default orientation of this house.

7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Reorientation of the house so that the wheel is aligned with the water flow would be ideal, I agree.

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If they turned the house then it probably wouldn't fit on a village water lot.

9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

@Fiero Steele, there are at least two. :)

Fiero Steele likes this.
  10. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

I don't like the placement of the wheel. You are placing the house so that the front is facing the shore, which means the wheel shouldn't work. It's always going "against the tide" in such a position.

Then again, this is an alternative. ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

I guess you just have to envision a storage pond on the shore side of the tide mill. Perhaps I need a basement there ;). If not then..er um... powered by kobold tech? Anyway, it was this or another location I had initially envisioned, unfortunately both ocean front with some separation in harbor. They don't provide a variety of choice NPC-town locations for these structures (aside from that one cloned river spot they used in their demo), but I'll take another look at this all later.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Time Lord likes this.
  12. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Celestis has some available ocean front property if you're looking for an island-biom with an Ardoris design.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Knight Commander Tyncale

Knight Commander Tyncale Avatar

The orientation of the House+ wheel should make sense so you can actually make use of the waterflow. On the inside, at least an axle should stick through the wall. Then later on, contraptions could be implemented (crafted by players for instance) that you can connect to the axle, like a grindstone, saw, bellows, that sort of thing.

Paladin Michael, Numa and Hazard like this.
  14. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Sadly its the consequence of the imperative of selling yet more pixel crack via the shop rather than creating something that makes sense and actually adds something worthwhile to the game.

Paladin Michael and Mykll like this.
  15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I've always thought it would be nice if the Windmill, and now the Watermill, were to do what they do in the real world and grind wheat into flour.

Perhaps someday.

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

They could do something like that, but a more general purpose could be aetheric energy generation, just like with the placeable wind generators, or thermal generators, and this could be hooked up to a millstone which is powered by that aetheric energy, or it could be hooked up to other things entirely.

Numa, Time Lord and Hornpipe like this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

I suggested they add a watermill home and other similar types in one thread...

One reason for that was the people placing rows of lighthouses on rivers were choosing to do that because they liked the space available in the lighthouses. So, my theory has been if people had more choices for homes, it would help the game out...

And we already had the watermill assets in the game, so it was just a matter of making them available to players.

Spoon, Time Lord and Hornpipe like this.
  18. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Sounds like a more complicated means to an end. With the wheels turning, why not use such motion to do the work rather than some over complicated method of doing the same thing, but with batteries, electricity and magic? It’s like removing the fans, adding a car engine to do all the “spinning”, yet recieving no net gain for the effort.

19. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Thanks for the suggestion Vallin. Last week I pulled up a smaller spot I'd had there for over a year in order to consolidate, even though a couple of the player-made creations around the island are some of the best I've seen (can take another look though, although don't think I want to place this on a lake). Brittany seems like a logical choice for an amalgamation of technology, although wind power appears to be the current prevalent choice in that locale. Anyway, I had also asked at least once for a watermill/gristmill several years back (wasn't even thinking tidemill at the time), although for the record I'm not 100% enamored with the design, esp. with no gears and such extending from the wheel and into the building from the wall, currently at/or directly underneath the stairs. Several spots in Ardoris have these moving gears (one hooked up to a battery and piping which fuels the protective tower), so they could have just added basics into building if they chose.

Also, for any wondering there is one placed at Hometown. Just take the small rowboat at the end of the main docks. It will take you to the small ankh-less isle that is much further out, where the mill is placed on a water town lot claimed by Darkstarr next to a town-sized pirate ship (you can get a nice aerial view from crows nest/end of mast).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  20. redfish

redfish Avatar

From the player end, it looks the same either way. You'd either have the millstone in, or you wouldn't, but it would power other things; or, you could have a millstone, but a different source of power generation entirely (ie thermal)

I'm talking about the game logic of putting the components together modularly, rather than the "real" logic of what's happening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.