Anyone notice the combat cheats?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Delvinshire, Feb 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delvinshire

Delvinshire Avatar

Guys I'm a huge huge fan of the Old Ultima Online. I do enjoy this game as well. But I'm having an issue with the card base combat system which seems to decide when I'm going to die. I have 9 heals set on two different slots and in a fight None of them show up. This has been happening more and more in the last 2 weeks.
    Has anyone else had this problem?

And if a Developer is reading this: Please Please Please allow my ghost to travel though objects!...it is so frustrating to get stuck as a ghost or have to go around fallen objects.

Numa and Beaumaris like this.
  2. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Lock your heals and def buffs

3. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

How many icons are in your draw pool? You may have too many seldom used icons interfering with the draw (reducing chance for heal to show). Also be sure to use foods and various skills to give you some combat health regeneration. Some potions provide ten minutes of health regen also.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  4. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

It's also possible you have too much going on in your deck. The fewer cards you have, the more often those abilities will show up. If you have 100 cards it's very possible the 10 heals don't show up in a given fight.

5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

6. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

I lock my heals.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  7. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Lock your Heal. Make sure you have no heal glyphs in the right side of the deck builder, the dealing hand. The higher your skill, the more glyphs you have. The more glyphs you have on the left side, the higher you can charge it (by holding the key down) or you can bang them out in rapid succession. You'll see indicators for each.

A locked skill will never disappear from your hot bar, although it may be temporarily unusable.

8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

First, welcome to SOTA!

Now here is what I'd offer on your note. What you are seeing is the 'edge of the seat' combat that the deck enables (but does not require). As others said, it is possible to lock that heal skill in place so its like any other game. But its pretty easy for us in other games that just offer up that instant heal button, isn't it? What is cool about SOTA is that it gives us the potential for a different tactical gaming (and perhaps more realistic) experience beyond that. It just requires that we allow ourselves to game in a situation (with the deck) where skills are sometimes available, but not always there on instant demand. Doing that leads us to look at combat a little differently. That it leads us to sit a little more forward in our seats, pay a little more attention, and have to make some daring choices in combat not knowing what skill might come up next is not an impediment, but a feature that SOTA has to offer. Any other game gives us the easy button. SOTA gives us the easy button if we want it, plus something much more. The real art of the deck game can be in adjusting play style to a less predictable form of combat, akin to a good poker game. For days we want to just play checkers, that is still there by simply locking the skills.

Cheers!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  9. Oeneusc

Oeneusc Avatar

Once you get a feel for the deck system I think you’ll like it. I think it’s one of the better features of the game.

Sara Dreygon, Bow Vale and TranZdog like this.
  10. Delvinshire

Delvinshire Avatar

*Fixes his deck*
    Thanks Weins201 - That was helpful.
    I was using to many cards in my deck.

11. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Do you have heals on some keys and combat glyphs on the others? If a glyph comes up from the deck, but there is no place to put it, it will wait much longer than the normal redraw time before moving to the next one. What that means if you have, say, 2 heal slots and 4 combat slots, if both heal slots are occupied, and a heal comes up, it will sit there waiting for an open slot. If you use a heal, suddenly it has a place to go, then the next glyph is quickly drawn.

(And I guess this would be even worse when you don't have a nice tight deck. I usually use 5+5 attack to 4 keys, 5+5 heal to 3 keys, then on the attack keys I add a single card each of things like soothing rain, ignite weapon, and aetheric feedback. Then I have a few locked, usually dash, ring of fire, and immolation.)

I used to have this problem all the time until I understood it. It's really bad when you're overpowered for what you are fighting and don't need heals. The other way around (heal a lot but not attack), I could stack my 5-card glyphs and always have room for more heals. Now I've added a 3rd heal slot, and not only does that give a more balanced mix, I could stack my two heal glyphs and still have a 3rd space open for more cards. Except... I really haven't had to do that since then. 4A+3H+3L has been a good balance since I changed from 4A+2H+4L.

The advantage of this over locking the heals is that you can often heal really fast. It might not be as important now, with being able to recast locked keys during cooldowns, but it works for me.

One thing about this is that it encourages you to remember to heal yourself, dammit! If you really did need to heal yourself, having the attack cards get blocked by too many heal cards subtly encourages you to use a heal.

Often this means that the scene has insufficient ankhs. You should post a specific thread in the current feedback forum. If it's really bad, you can even /bug it.

12. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Welcome to SoTA!

Good feedback all around. I usually keep locked buff glyphs in 6-10 (parry, defensive stance, fortify defense, etc.), a couple locked combat glyphs in 4-5 (body slam, coup de grace, etc.) which leaves me around 16 combat glyphs for spots 1-3. As I'm a swordsman, I usually go for ONLY THE BEST 16 glyphs (depending on mob type) like offhand attack, rends, thrusts, double-slashes so I know I'm using my best attacks as much as I possibly can be.

Diab Blackbow, Aldo and Antrax Artek like this.
  13. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

wait, you can use offhand attack with a two-hander?

Sara Dreygon and Aldo like this.
  14. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Works only using dual wield.

15. 3devious

3devious Avatar

You can dual wield with a two hander? Reminds me of playing D&D as a kid and finding a DM who would let you do that because he likes to see big numbers in combat...

16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I want to dual wield bows.

17. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Hell no :D

Off-hand skill works only with dual wields.

3devious likes this.
  18. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Been dual wielding quite a bit lately. Great for focus and you double up on masterwork bonuses.

Alley Oop likes this.
  19. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I never lock my heals. Locking healing causes a lot of problems with cool downs. I have 2 slots, dedicated to Healing Touch and Healing Ray(one of each per slot), and 5 of each in my deck. I normally run with around 24-26 glyphs in deck. I'm not sure what optimal is for cards in deck, but it works for me. With that said, I have noticed the game manipulates when the healing glyphs pop up. Ever notice that if your health is down to around a quarter that your healing glyphs will stop popping up? I will try to clear out other cards in my deck by blindly casting other spells to make them available, but to no avail. It seems as if the game notices when you are in trouble and tries to get you killed by denying you health glyphs. I've gone like around 5secs or so without a healing glyph popping up. To counter this, I keep potions on my Utility Bar.

20. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Sounds like someone didn’t believe in the heart of the cards hard enough.

[​IMG]

3devious likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.