Ridiculous In Game Housing System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cock of the North, Feb 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Mac pointed out that they are available on a npc vendor in game!

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

these two lines are the jest of it
    85 Cotos = 100$ in game
    earning them in game LoL, true he could grind away get gold buy them at 2k each will take what 6 months of casual play??? remember has to play level resupply, armor weapons . . n. . . .
    Pay another player for it?

eazy peazy

Chatele likes this.
  3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

True, takes about half a year if you dont play that much and never get lucky with loot.

Getting a house should be costly.

Hornpipe, Vermine, Numa and 3 others like this.
  4. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

You have that backwards. It's 100 cotos for 85 dollars currently in the store.

85 Cotos for in game gold can be bought around 289k. You are extremely exaggerating how hard it is to make that in game. Even at 5k an hour, which is on the very very very low end of what you can farm per hour. Playing 1 hour a day will get you a row home in under 2 months. If you have any skill whatsoever you can make much much more than 5k per hour in game.

Hornpipe, Sara Dreygon, Numa and 2 others like this.
  5. Lained

Lained Avatar

The only way to get a lot deed that can be placed anywhere including NPC towns is either from other players or wait for the lot deed raffle to resume when the game launches (tickets are 10,000 gold).

Player Owned Town (POT) lot deeds are now for sale in game from crown merchants for as little as 85 gold CotOs (Crowns of the Obsidian) for a row deed. CotOs can be found as a rare loot drop and also traded from other players (curent value is ~3,500 gold).

There is no need to spend real world currency to achieve home ownership in SotA. There are plenty of POTs that are welcoming of new players looking for homes by either placing their own or renting existing lots or rooms, some even offer for free.

[​IMG]

Understand that the game is still in development and a large portion existing backers of the game are waiting for release and have yet to start playing. Prior to open development you'd enter a world on day one and find it empty.

In fact it's the complete opposite i.e. game making as those real money transactions funded the development of the game.

Again about 50% of backers haven't even claimed their in game lot and there are enough lots in NPC towns to cover all backers plus about 10 percent.

I wouldn't worry too much about living in an NPC town, there are plenty of thriving POTs that you can live in for a small gold investment and not real world currencies. If you're set on living in an NPC town find a guild that has residence for new members.

Once again there's no need to spend actual money to do so. You're correct the housing isn't going to change at this point. Rather than giving up can I suggest looking in the Rental Services & Free Places to Live sub-forum where there are numerous vacancies where you can find a home until you've progressed in game to afford your own.

The expectation that a game should be thriving day one of release is amusing to me, give the game some time for the existing game backers to start playing for the world to feel more populate. I too would prefer that the home signs would disappear when the lot is occupied alas they're the interface to managing the property maybe we can get the owner's heraldry to display on them.

Elwyn, Elnoth, hroth and 6 others like this.
  6. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Gather mats, sell mats, buy cotos, trade cotos for deed. This has been done by people I know many times, works fine and is not hard.

7. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

Selling mats is the number one way to make IGG. Get to the level you can mine silver or gold and you can make it very quickly. Other mats might take a little longer, but they still sell very well.

Elwyn, Thwip, Rada Torment and 2 others like this.
  8. mass

mass Avatar

I wouldn't be dismissive of this sentiment. I think it will be a point of contention for a lot of players.

I do think you can now purchase taxable row lot deeds on COTO vendors in game. COTOs are commonly found on player vendors for in game gold (or in the online store for cash). As an entry level access to housing, I think this is an adequate compromise, although it will mean that for most players, home ownership will be an 'endgame' goal. It meets my standard of being able to accomplish it 'without actually having to talk to anyone'.

As for value, there's actually another thread talking about the extreme value of home ownership due to the massive itemization in the game. Yes, there are other options, but they require talking to people and putting yourself at the mercy of landlords/POT owners. This may have higher or lower barriers of entry for some people (though I would agree there are a lot of friendly options out there).

For me, I've had my row lot since persistence; it's quickly become too small to scratch my deco itch, especially as more cool items are added to the game. I see a 'town' lot as about right. But a taxable lot is a no go for me. The tax rate on those probably exceeds my daily time in the game; it's simply not fun to play, even an hour, just to pay off some tax. So, if you feel similarly, tax free is the only way to go. I'll eventually probably pony up the money, but I can see that for a lot of people, that seems a huge barrier for entry to one of the best game mechanics that currently exists in the game.

To be fair, though, for gamers trying to figure out the housing stuff, if you are a social player, there are lots of options.

If you are a less social player, you can go a long ways with a row lot and a basement and can achieve that if you invest enough time (and I would say that time is reasonable for taxable deeds). I have tons of storage, gardens, water well, grand piano, vendor, and decorations that reflect my in-game achievements. If you want tax free or bigger than row, and you are anything but a hardcore 8 hour a day gamer, you're probably looking at spending real money. Spending $200 - $300 on a collectors edition game that you really like and will play for years makes sense to me, and a tax free row lot package is like that. However, that $800+ range may be a barrier to some even if they have the disposable income. The question they will ask is: I mean, I could, but should I?

Elwyn and Mykll like this.
  9. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Sorry to hear that, but as you may understand, your experience can not be generalized.

Let me explain; With game's tools I managed to get all I have, I mean all, by just playing the game. My TF Village lot bundle (550) bought with ingame currency (selling igg for credits). I love play the economy and trading so my half of my fortune came from this content (the other half from pve). But the important part is that I'm not special for this, other players did the same and possibly they have more than me.

And second story, I have sold already 7 lot row deeds and spots since persistance for less than $100 (half of the price you posted). All of them in NPC towns (Brittany most). Not just this, I know a few guys in this community who gave some row lots for free, literally free, to new players.

Hope you can stay here and find a way to enjoy the game.

10. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i think a lot of people responding are missing the facts that the town you want to place in requires a place anywhere deed but the deeds on the coto automatons are pot-only.

there's a reason there are so many empty npc towns and prts and it's a legitimate one, but it doesn't really help you. there's a place-anywhere lot available for every place-anywhere deed in existence because we were promised there'd always be a place for them. if port relied on pots to fill that need but the governors decided not to allow access (whether to a specific person or in general) then there could be a LOT of people with expensive place-anywhere deeds but no lots they can claim. of course, this is not how the pots turned out and many many people with place-anywhere deeds placed them in pots, but they still have empty lots reserved for them should they ever need them. when you add up people with mutiples of these, you can require a whole empty town pretty quickly. ..and in fact, they've yanked a few prts simply because there was no demand for them, but they're easy enough to add again later.

(this fear is also why buying pot lot deeds on the website comes with a hefty disclaimer, because port DOESN'T guarantee you a place to use it.)

margaritte, Spoon, Chatele and 5 others like this.
  11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

yes it can - players that want to play the game not game the play, not manipulate the system, not have to become a RMT player, all of those are what a casual player is not looking for.

One thing I can say though is 200 for a bundle is a one time payment there is no monthly upkeep so = 10$ a month over 20 months. if you want to play this game you will be around more than 20 months. Sadly though they want to nickel and dime you as time goes on.

amaasing likes this.
  12. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

You wrong. You don't need to play as a hardcore player to accomplish this, but you need to know how to play or what you are doing. Don't try to distort the game's experience.

We are lot of players who have understood how the game works and we know the game has all the tools to give you the opportunity to obtain all you need/want.

If anyone try to show the game is all about rmt stuff, I will be here to deny it, just because is real you can do it, we are not gods or people blessed by portalarium ;)

Hornpipe, Vermine, Onyx and 5 others like this.
  13. mass

mass Avatar

This is a really good point. They should make those 'place anywhere'. If the NPC towns are full, then they would naturally be placed in a POT. With those large, non-story NPC towns, it seems like this wouldn't be a problem.

Chatele likes this.
  14. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

that misses the whole point. if they make those place-anywhere, they have to make more place-anywhere spots for them, because they've guaranteed that no place-anywhere deed will have to be placed in a pot, because they can't control access to them.

Elwyn and Sheamus McGuinness like this.
  15. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

Agreed.

Housing is something you earn in Shroud.
    And it's not hard to earn enough gold to purchase a deed/house solely through in-game activities, it just takes time.

Elwyn likes this.
  16. Sheamus McGuinness

Sheamus McGuinness Avatar

Cock of the North! I love that! Hey buddy, if you need help with housing in game or any other tips to get started my guild EVL would love to help you out. We have a ton of resources and love to guide new players on their journey no matter what their play style. Hit me up in game (my in game name is same as this forum name) and lets see if we can't get you a place anywhere deed right away!

To the rest of the community commenting on this thread, I love all the feed back and insightfulness. We all love this game or we would not be here posting, so lets all work together to help new people like this to love the game as much as we do. I am willing to give away as much of my hard earned in-game gold and other resources to make that happen and ensure that new players stick around.

Will you join me in this effort??

Kara Brae, Elwyn, Ronni and 8 others like this.
  17. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I try and share my knowledge to this very end. I used to give out gear and stuff but to much went to waste.

Solazur, Elwyn, 3devious and 2 others like this.
  18. mass

mass Avatar

That is the dilemma. But they can always put more of those NPC towns down (they removed some before, surely they could add if needed). Obviously it wouldn't be infinitely sustainable, but I suspect they could accommodate the player population even on the high end of expectations.

19. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I find player owned towns more appealing, as they have are more likely to have engaging communities and insular economies where people buy and sell directly to their neighbors.

Vermine, Elwyn, 3devious and 4 others like this.
  20. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

I'm going to have to agree with the OP. The housing worth as apposed to a player character worth is just insane.

Chatele likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.