Ridiculous In Game Housing System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cock of the North, Feb 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

It's not as simple as, go here kill this and sell here. There's a lot of variables- like what gear your using, what level you are, what combat skills you use etc.

Add me to your friends list in game and I'd be more than happy to meet up so I can give you advice tailored to your specific character.

hroth, Numa and Mac2 like this.
  2. milspec

milspec Avatar

Appreciate it, but I generally play from 5am to 7am US East, I will try it solo. I am a defensive plate, Hammer and earth build with a high (70s) mining skill, so I am a good candidate for a new player mining test.

3. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

Ok. The POT owner absolutely owns the *lot*. He can evict you from the lot, just like you said. Not your deed, not your house or your things. The lot. He owns the *lot*.
    The only way to completely own and control your housing, including the lot, is with a place anywhere deed.
    The only way with game mechanics and in game gold to get a place anywhere deed is the lottery.
    There are other ways to get deeds through other players and this is good, but it involves player to player transactions.

4. 3devious

3devious Avatar

It would behoove POT owners not to F with your claim because if that POT owner gets a reputation for being like that no one will live there and it is like being the king of a dungheap. Yeah your power is absolute but look at your place. Unless you're an awsome builder yourself having the town doesn't really do you any good if you can't attract players to go there.

Astirian and Adam Crow like this.
  5. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

If you can point me to just one time that this has happened so far in this game, I'd love to hear about it. As 3devious pointed out, evicting people out of a POT makes absolutely no sense.

What's the point of spending all that $ on a POT just to sit in it by yourself? I'm sorry but your argument makes no sense at all. Stop trying to scare new players away from POT's just to make a point.

It's pretty obvious to the majority of the player base that the best locations to live in are currently POT's, not npc towns. There is so much customization available to POT'S and the residents in them, you'd have to be silly to argue that.

Numa and Astirian like this.
  6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Amber Raine

7. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Unfortunately it does happen. It happened to me once . Found this prime location at town entrance.. went to coto vendor bought a village deed and village house..claimed the lot..30 mins later was asked to ''vacate the premise' as that lot ...''wasnt supposed to be taken by me''... so i took my stuff and thats that... pretty much the single bad experience i had in this game.... hope none else gets to experience it.

Solazur, Numa, Elwyn and 3 others like this.
  8. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Well, that I can understand. It's still a bummer of course. But I would highly advise contacting the POT owner before placing a deed to make sure it's ok with them.

3devious, Astirian, Weins201 and 2 others like this.
  9. Animosh

Animosh Avatar

Tell us how easy it is then please

10. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

My hope is that the devs unleash lot deeds (particularly POT deeds) at launch generate a lot of housing excitement again. Housing customization is such a central (and fantastic) feature of the game that I don't see this sitting idly by at launch. It would be a real shame if it did. We'll see.

CatherineRose likes this.
  11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

This!!

Ive always hated the way they have rolled out housing. I hope they dont do this with boats and ships when they release.

Id suggest, they sell thier fancy boats and not access to boat fishing.

The Pot convo: Pots have been great for sota, over sold imop but are in the overall plus side for portal. Pot deeds imop NEED to be a igg vendor item.

Npc lots the portal funding tool! (Important)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Astirian likes this.
  12. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Way back in the beginning, one could earn a bit of in-game coin, and walk to an in-game NPC, and buy a row/village/town etc. deed (taxed) for in game gold from that NPC.
    These were clearly priced at fixed rates and, it was something you could work your way towards having. It was a good system.

Unfortunately, the somewhat baffling decision was made to move deeds to this "lottery" system which firmly placed most of the deeds in the hands of the richest players who could buy the most tickets. The results of the first lotto had dozens of deeds going to single people. This got smarter as time went on limiting the amount people could win, but was still a very poor way to hand out property as you could spend 15,000 gold on a ticket every release and get absolutely nothing.

I think for me what was troubling is that this lotto system was never even necessary; the idea was that there were a limited number of spots and the number of deeds given away was to match these spots, but in reality with the number of player owned towns this again was a bit of a head-scratcher. You could invite a player to live in your town, put them a marker down, reserve it for them, but...they can't live there. Nobody else can either, but nevermind, they must find a player willing to sell (or fork out cash for) a deed. I've never really understood why taxed deeds were taken off the NPC to begin with; there was no reason to limit them - surely you wouldn't go BUY the thing if you didn't have a place in mind to put it - the number of "npc town spots" is completely irrelevant in this case. Most pot owners are absolutely clamoring for active residents, as well. I still firmly believe that pot-only taxed deeds at the very least should be available without limit from the NPC ...why not ? Its not like POTs are going to run out of space any time soon and these can be reconfigured and reconfigured again (as well as upgraded) that there's really not a hard limit on this. I can't see people buying and paying weekly tax on a bunch of deeds just to 'have' them either - a few yes but not to the point where we are running out of space.

Yes, you can get them with COTOs now, so in essence I suppose they are finally available for in game means, but the pricing on such is way beyond what a newcomer can afford, which is a shame.

But, it is what it is.

There's always living in an inn until you save up money, or coming to a private arrangement to 'rent' a house from someone else with the tenancy system, but its not really the same as having something to call your own, and that's important to a lot of folks.

Astirian and Sway like this.
  13. Lained

Lained Avatar

This was when there were monthly wipes and so making housing cheap allowed for more testing.

Housing was always meant to be scarce, Portalarium never expected every player to actually own a home. Player owned towns were far more popular than they expected thinking they'd sell about ten.

Astirian, Numa, Elwyn and 2 others like this.
  14. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Oh I know. But it seemed a far better system than making housing completely inaccessible without investing RL cash or playing for months to grind it up. It would take a good couple weeks of work back in the early days to save up for the cheapest house but it was nice, you had something to fiddle with. At today's prices based on player to player trade - assuming you can find someone selling one - its an insurmountable effort for new folks. But as I say, I suppose that's why we have Inns.

Sway likes this.
  15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

One big problem is that a lot of (place-anywhere) deeds are in the possession of people who are not playing the game because it is not "released" yet. This is why I want release to happen before a hundred pet features that a few people insist are each "essential" when they really aren't as essential as getting that sleeping player base to wake up already.

They aren't going to be selling any more Place-Anywhere deeds in Episode 1, because they have to tie the amount of issued PA deeds to the number of lots, even when the deeds are in the possession of someone who has not started playing. And POT-only taxed deeds are available on the new android COTO vendors in the bigger cities. They aren't limiting those because there are so many POTs out there that even if only a fraction of them get developed, there will still plenty of lots.

Most of us who have lot deeds earned them by helping fund the game. They didn't give one with a $45 basic pledge, and they still don't.

I had the ONLY lot in one of them, and it was sort of behind a hill from a road. I recentlly moved that placement back to Etan Glen PRT, which has better traffic and visibility. In fact, one lot I claimed, I had at persistence, and someone bought the location off of me in the first month!

Rule number one: you can't expect to make that much by selling everything to an NPC vendor.
    Rule number two: every time you defeat a monster, you aren't just getting drops, you're getting access to nearby harvesting/mining nodes.
    Rule number three: learn what people will pay money for, and sell it to them
    Rule number four: use commission-free vendors; many guilds will have shared ones, so join a guild
    (these hints courtesy of the Ferengi Chamber of Commerce)

The people who own POTs and let others place deeds want to have a town with people in it, not to willfully kick people all day. Those who do will get a bad reputation among players and end up with nothing. There are so many potential POT lots that it would even be hard for them to charge rent for you to use a lot in their town. (Note that you still pay lot taxes; those do not go to the POT onwer.) So the chance that you will get kicked out of a POT without a good reason is approximately zero.

Sounds like a POT owner who didn't know how to reserve a lot.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Adam Crow, Astirian, Numa and 3 others like this.
  16. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Tying them to COTOs means that the price can adjust (somewhat) with the economy. Otherwise things reach the point where inflation will make 300K IGG worth a lot less than it is now.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  17. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

It’s actually how the game was funded but yeah it does make it look like an exclusive yacht club without members.

Brass Knuckles, 3devious and Numa like this.
  18. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

Perfectly stated, thank you for being brave enough to share a negative - but completely justified - opinion here on the official forums. Sadly, these concerns have been brought up for years, and we're still here. Also, equally sad, is the consideration that this is a game about to be released - this term doesn't apply traditionally here.

While official launch might be around the corner, many rightfully considered this game launched in the summer of 2016 when progress started counting.

That's over a year and a half ago, now. Many of those that showed up then, in the spirit of what you brought up towards the population of a newly released game, moved on shortly after - many for the same reasons you echo here. Empty towns were a problem then, too. As was the barrier for entry into them mostly consisting of real money to one extent or another.

Whether or not they're coming back to re-place their homes, buy new ones, etc. or whether new players will do those things remains to be seen - the only thing anyone knows for sure is we won't have to wait too long to find out. Sorry you had such a negative experience, many, many people have tried to fix this - but almost all of us have given up at this point.

Mykll likes this.
  19. Numa

Numa Avatar

Something needs to be done about PRT's since lots there are the LEAST desirable spots compared to NPC lots or even POT lots. Most if not all PRT's are 2-10% occupied if at all. It's actually a great waste of a place-anywhere lot deed if you use that to claim a place in a PRT. Even a place in a bustling POT is preferable.

Hornpipe, hroth, Thwip and 3 others like this.
  20. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

they're more appealing than people realize. they all have training dummies (except for the old ones on the old template). i hear people looking for training dummies all the time since they don't work in pots without the lot owner present.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.