Place anywhere lot deed restock - in crown merchants is questionable

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Feb 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I am concerned about the "limited number" part of it. Wish they would elaborate on that.

Either way it's an overall positive thing, more PA lots in the market is better for everyone in the long run.

2. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

It might just be me but i wish people were buying housing to play the game rather than trying to resell for profit to noobs

3. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

Posted here at Berek's request on my closed thread: :p

@DarkStarr, please consider alternatives/additional options to restocking Place Anywhere (PA) Lot Deeds. Many of us who have been playing a long time have amassed vast sums of gold/COTOs and could buy all the available deeds as they hit the merchants or buy mass raffle tix. That leaves you with unpleasant situations of either adding more deeds and flooding the market or endorsing a first-come-first-buy situation that leaves new arrivals with no deed to buy by the time they've got the gold/COTOs to do so. While I generally believe in a meritocracy/grindocracy where those who put in the time and effort should reap the rewards, I think having more opportunities for new landowners is important for SotA's long-term health.

Here are some possible suggestions and I hope the community will add others as well:

- @Lord British declares a monthly special raffle for the landless. Only those without deeds could buy tickets in this raffle.
    - Limit the number of raffle tickets purchased per account (perhaps not needed if we continue to limit the number of deeds you can win)
    - Create a quest where the reward is a PA deed. How about visiting EVERY zone and NPC town? That would be a worthy, and fun, quest. It would also tamp down the complaints of RMT PTW for lot deeds.
    - Limit the total number of PA and POT deeds an account can have (I personally dislike this idea but it should be on the table for discussion)
    - Limit just the number of PA deeds an account can have similar to the current limit of three claimed NPC town deeds per account.
    - Others?

Edit - I see this has already changed but I think the thoughts above are still relevant. Cheers!

4. Arieus

Arieus Avatar

IMHO - having a home - even if only a small Row home, should be a feature and not a real life investment. But -- that's just not how it works. I think everyone should have the chance to obtain land in the game via npc mechanics and general gameplay. *shrugs* -- but thats a whole different can of worms and not the conversation at hand. Soooo... I'll go back to being quiet.

5. mass

mass Avatar

Might be interesting to attach it to an end game quest, allowing one per avatar if you achieve a land grant from Lord British, but then be tradeable. Would be nice to see people (especially new people) actually playing the game benefit from the new stock and use one of the best in game mechanics as a great end game reward.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

My post was locked, so I'm re-posting this here:

@DarkStarr
    How about adding an upgrade path to convert a bundle tax-free POT deed into a tax-free place-anywhere deed?

[edit] At least allow them to be placed in PRTs, which are largely empty.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Hornpipe and Numa like this.
  7. smack

smack Avatar

I'll just throw this out there...not that I'm endorsing it...

All housing post-launch should be true instances. Sell as many as they want. No new land crisis. No devaluation of actual non-instanced physical property deeds.

Just build the tech for an instanced lot or tavern in every NPC town. Heck, this might rid the world of the currently useless and cloned PRTs (they'll need much more polish and love to become truly self-organizing, organic, lively communities).

I mean, isn't that what we effectively did with POTs? No more physical space on the overworld, so now you have endless instances of POTs embedded in other towns?

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  8. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

A one time purchase per account or making them non tradable could work. To prevent having two accounts, buying one, giving to an alt, buying another, giving it to an alt, buying another etc..

9. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I’m hopeful the devs will resume cleaning up all the wagons and boats and such before launch, and consolidating them into a single one, like started a few releases ago but got lost in the shuffle.

10. jfoytek

jfoytek Avatar

Are these Place Anywhere deeds tax free?!?

Am I finally returning to the game?!?

11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

No.
    They are the taxable deeds.

12. jfoytek

jfoytek Avatar

Then whats the fuss about this really changes nothing... get back to me when Tax free deeds are up for cota's then I will return to the game...

13. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, I think they eventually will too. They've already set the precedent for menu-selectable location choices with NPC town entrances, in-town boats/docks, etc. And it's just one step away from an inn/tavern with a "directory" to access the instanced housing.

14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Just don't panic. The sky isn't falling. Well, actually something IS falling from the sky, but that's a different topic ^^

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I went to many POTs the other day in search of a town lot (I'm thinking about upgrading a bundle this next telethon). Most of the POTs I visited had all or most of their lots restricted. It makes me sad that I didn't jump on getting a POT when I had the chance. I would totally decorate it and set all the permissions to available for anyone to grab a lot (there were two POTs that I found that had most or all of the lots available).

And all the PRTs are empty....

Paladin Michael likes this.
  16. Fiero Steele

Fiero Steele Avatar

What I did was check out the POT's where I wanted to place a lot, contacted the POT owner and together we arranged a lot location. Never had a problem with not getting a location!

Paladin Michael, Spoon and Elwyn like this.
  17. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Personally I've always thought that there should be a limit on lots per account like 2 or three max. I think that you shouldn't be able to get these deeds if you already have one on your account. Let the new people get them and make them non-tradeable for like six real life months or something.

There's too many people trying to make this game into a real estate business and taking the fun out of it for those that just want to play the game. There's no reason anyone needs these deeds that already has a lot.

I actually really like the idea of a really hard quest to get lot deeds that's more interesting than just selling them for gold or cotos or a raffle. But you could make the quest require you being really high level and cost money for like crafting certain items or something. They can have other quests to craft special houses and other stuff for your house that anyone even people with lots could do.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

My idea:
    Limit this new lots to one per account.
    See how the sales go for a month or two or 3.
    After that, re-evaluate.
    Raise the cap, let the cap where it is or stop selling deeds.
    Rinse and repeat.
    Problem solved.

"But Ato! The whales! They have bazillion of accounts!!!111"
    No, they don't. Even if they have 10 or so accounts, that's negligible.
    But:
    That should help with the unlikely case that one of the resellers really owns bazillion of accounts.

Edit: @DarkStarr

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  19. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Housing has been problematic from day one, because it was intended to be rare (not for everyone) to attract funding from customers who would pay a lot for it.

Although I hate that aspect of the game and would prefer a game where everyone could claim property wherever there is an empty space, I find that I can't be too critical because without people paying for the privilege of owning property, the game would most likely not exist at all.

What I absolutely do not agree with, is the way the term "whales" is thrown about with great condemnation including really nice people whose only fault was to spend a lot of money on the game. Those people helped the game become reality and don't deserve criticism for that.

I recently spent some time visiting POTs to collect 100 gold from the Town Criers for a first-time visit, and was astounded at the amounts of money some people invested in the game. Many not only purchased a POT but also purchased many lot deeds for Keeps, Castles, City and Town lots. If these people had money to spare to invest in the game, my hat goes off to them. They are not hurting the game by purchasing a POT and inhabiting it.

The people who are hurting the game and making it difficult for new users to acquire anything are those who are XP botters, RMT professionals and even ordinary people who see an opportunity to make a buck and take advantage of it. RMT professionals will purchase as many accounts as needed to make a profit. Curtailing the number of lot deeds able to be purchased by one account won't stop those people. Even an "ordinary Joe" may come to the realization that purchasing an extra account can be profitable. I've thought about it but I haven't seen any suggestion that could solve the problem of housing in SotA.

Luckily, there are many generous and selfless people in the game who do everything they can to help new users have a great in-game experience. Many of these would be unjustly condemned as "whales" by some others.

20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I can agree with you except this:

Well then, let them purchase accounts. It still goes into the founding of the game. They still can add more PRT and deeds whenever they want to solve this issue.
    And i must admit i find this approach slightly paranoid and same condeming as you (and i as well) think about how ppl here use the term "whale".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.