Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Responded] Specialization not working as ToolTip says..........

Discussion in 'Combat, Skills, & Magic' started by FrostII, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

2/20/2018 10:41 PM
    Title: Specialization not working as ToolTip says..........
    Reproduction Rate: 100% so far
    Blocker? SposeNot
    Details: According to the new "Specialization" ToolTip, when you set a tree's "Specialization" to Train, then any other "Specialization" is supposed to be set to "Unlearn". (see pic below).

I set my Fire "Specialization" to Maintain and then set my Death "Specialization" to Train, and subsequently training the new Death "Specialization" does NOT set my Fire "Specialization" to Untrain (it remains at Maintaining)...

BTW... I would LOVE for this to be "INTENDED"...

[​IMG]
    Steps to Reproduce: Do what I did
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz (8) System RAM: 12286
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GPU RAM: 4043
    SotA.EarlyAccess.QA.Win.64.638.Date.02.20.18
    Area: POT_forest_metropolis_01a_template/Falling Waters Fortress
    Area Display Name: Falling Waters Fortress
    Loc: (350.1, 37.0, 298.6)
    Debug: UE9UX2ZvcmVzdF9tZXRyb3BvbGlzXzAxYV90ZW1wbGF0ZXxGYWxsaW5nIFdhdGVycyBGb3J0cmVzc3woMzUwLjA5MywgMzYuOTUsIDI5OC41NTIpfCgwLCAwLjExOSwgMCwgMC45OTMpfDIyLjkyMzk5fDEwLjg0MTcyfDcuOTYxMDU3

2. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

So I'm on 639, there may be some slight differences here...I see what you are saying, but hear me out :)

You probably know this, but it helps for me to explain it. You can have one specialization set to learn and one set to maintain at any given time. You just can't LEARN them both at the same time. You can have one set on maintain like you did here. It won't force it to unlearn, in general, unless you already have one to maintain and also already have another set to learn. At that point, if you hit another green arrow elsewhere it will flip the prior green arrow (learn) to maintain (brown). And then your prior maintain will change to unlearn as it has a lower priority level.

This warning is here so people don't start to unlearn spells on accident. Here, you've already set it to maintain. There can perhaps be a more general description to 'hey, check all your specializations statuses to make sure it's the way you want it' but what most people are afraid of is unlearning on accident. They may not see how much XP they have lost until they have de-leveled one. That's what we want to prevent.

TLDR; If you toggle between two specializations, setting one to unlearn, it will automatically set the other to maintain. But add more specializations learned from the trainer into the mix, you're gonna be getting a whole lot of unlearns. I think it covers many but not all possible scenarios. As a general rule of thumb, I personally encourage everyone to check all of their spells and make sure they are set where they want it whenever they make changes. That's true even before this release. If people don't, the system is gonna make some tough decisions for you.

Does anyone out there have some suggestions on how the wording could possibly be changed with all of this in mind? Keep in mind it's limited characters...

@Chris
    @FrostII

FrostII and Alarion like this.
  3. devourerofmemes

devourerofmemes Avatar

NOTE: You can study one specialization while maintaining a second. All other specializations will be set to "Unlearn".

Lexie and FrostII like this.
  4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Gotcha (both)... ;)
    I was mostly just pointing out that the "Tooltip" is inaccurate, that's all ...
    Thanks @Lexie for taking the time to explain your (Port's) thinking....
    Oh, and there WILL be screams from people who start playing with the new Proficiencys and also using the "Instant Unlearn"s... :eek: ;)

5. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

@FrostII
    Ha, yeah, it applies to a lot of situations but not all. I like the suggestion made. @devourerofmemes I can't think of anything that's as good as that. Simple yet still precise. I like the way you both think :)
    Regarding the unlearns, I wrote a JIRA up for that earlier. While technically by design as it works with the current system, there is a good chance (knock on wood) folks will be able to set their specialization to zero at some point down the road. Like yourself, I do hope more experienced players keep our current mechanics in mind when the release rolls out.

Bug for skill description: 56115.
    Unlearn with spec is a task (no bug #)

*Braces for tomorrow*

FrostII likes this.
  6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Lexie
    And I as well, M'Lady...... I as well. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.