I lost 1/4th of my GM's from one death!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by King Robert, Feb 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

I lost 10 of 40, today, with a single death. Wow! That hurt!

I would have thought that having other skills set to unlearn would mean the xp would come from them first. Apparently, I was mistaken!

Keep the pools full! Which is hard, certainly, if you use the new potion ....

Be careful avatars!

2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

such a shame... we can't have full loot because players can't handle losing items that took them precious hours to get...

but we can have full decay because apparently players do not mind losing precious hours...

Never seen such a new players unfriendly situation, nor do I understand its goal.

Death is not meaningful, its a game breaker...

Me I just wander around and don't even check my skills, at all... I die all the time and don't advance at all... I'll be a noob forever. NOT fun.

3. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

You are not a new player anymore if you loose more xp than yout get from your daylie login bonus.
    It does not get any better by saying it again and again.

Nikko, eli, Dhanas and 7 others like this.
  4. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

It does not matter one bit if you,I or everyone said enough with this,they are hell bent on this is how it's going to be. You might as well get used to it if you are going to play.

5. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Unfortunately, this is the way I feel about it. Doesn’t matter how many people tell their story, or how many people explain their friends are quitting because of it. They are not listening when it comes to skill decay.

6. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

The train and maintain options means it will pull from pool unless you dont have enough pool then it will pull from the skills. Untrain does nothing to effect death decay.

Elwyn, Sorthious, jammaplaya and 4 others like this.
  7. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

Well said, Mac. The reason for my post was I was thinking perhaps others were also mistaken to this notion. I know now that you wrote so clearly, viz., that the pool being dry makes your skills at risk, regardless of status.

8. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

That's the moment to think about the skills in skill tree we
    - need definitely
    - we can forego
    - we can lower

From moment I lost >40.000 at my first death I thought about and reduced skills to 40 or 80.
    Watch what advantage it really has to lvl up to 80 or further ...
    For example:
    - Night Vision or Light: it's just a few minutes more. So not necessary to have them at 80.
    - different Weapons: Focus on one, if we have the ability to have a second char online, we can focus on another weapon
    - Magic Shields: We can just use ONE at a time, so focus on one - the favorite magic school you prefer (I decided for Water/Ice and dropped the others to 40).

Well, as you know from other posts/threads/questions in telethon I made, I asked repeatedly about the unfair situation (not because of decay itself!) that the decay time is calculated in REAL TIME, while we earn our XP in game time.

So every day I die, I loose again appr. 50.000 XP, even if I logged in 1/2 hour a day :(

I really hope, @Chris will find a way to calculate it in game time - especially casual players will be driven away at that point they reach Adv.lvl. >90

Beside this:
    The new specialization helps from now, as Chris told, so you can choose the specializations in that skill trees, you have most of your skills ;)

9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yeah yeah... the game is so complex that I'm forced to calculate and min max everything to hope to perhaps one day have a chance to be more than an ant in PvP... and even then.

I'll just play the game and keep being frustrated, its not like I was hoping to change anything with my opinion.

It is what it is... a spreadsheet math meta game... not a RPG. A.k.a "oh raising my nightsight will only give me a few minutes more its not worth it, lets meta-cut it." A.k.a. if you just roleplay the game as its intended, you're automatically "stupid" for wasting precious skill points.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Womby, Toadster and Quenton like this.
  10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Lets make a simple parallel to real life... when I get fired from my job (wipe, a kind of "death") I do not lose my skill.

Sure my spreadsheep stats might be affected cause the employer might have fired me for a good reason, but skill decays when you don't use said skills OR use incompatible skills (blacksmith and musicianship for example), period.

Decay is a part of life and not death.

It's not fun, and against everything I know about a skill based RPG lord british style.

Chatele, By Tor, Womby and 1 other person like this.
  11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

New players kind of think in advance nowadays, they will look at the game from that lens... if I decide to really play this game and raise my skill to competitive levels, how much maintenance will I have to input in order to get my replay value.

Really you're oversimplifying the issue... I won't extrapolate on your intentions.

Quenton, Xandra7 and MrBlight like this.
  12. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Umm..hate to be that guy..

But decay has been complained about for like a year.
    They just introduced massive combat changes on top of having to polish the previous stuff.

I have 0 hope they will re evaluate yet ANOTHER core mechanic when already they are overloaded before launch.

Balancing the new specializations so close to launch alone is an ordeal.. nvm trying to re adjust decay.

Decays retarded and always has been. Heavy players were saying it, but the communities average were to low to fully appreciate it, so it got derailed and locked.
    Now people are getting to point its relevent to them. And suddenly its not a fun feature anymore ( as stated by others for ever ).

13. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

yeah it is too bad that they had to do this to try and reign in unbalance - if they had just done a wipe and fixed the issues then decay could have been meaningful and viable not this drastic kick in the jimmy.

Fix things the right way the first time and all will be better - Hard right over easy wrong will win out in the end every time.

14. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

They already are leaving.
    i.e. Gideon Thrax, Corp Por just to name a couple and more that have not left but considering it.
    It is really upsetting when great players leave because of these types of things that are easily resolved by the devs.

15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Many months ago during one of the telethons, Chris said that decay was the single most hated thing in the game - and yet it remains.

If it is hated by most all, then why on earth does it remain.

More recently, after being pressed for the rational behind decay, Chris said that it was necessary to achieve some sort of mathematical plateau for raising skills.

Plateau smateau - if it prevents forward skill movement, then by it's very definition it is counter-productive.

Apparently Port is under the impression that counter-productiveness in a game is something that will keep people playing and draw more people in..........

Sadly, they are very seriously mistaken.

Personally, I'm at a point where I'm pretty much biding my time - waiting for official release to see if the decay penalty will be removed.

If it does remain, then I will not.

Chatele, By Tor, Duke Albert and 11 others like this.
  16. Koss

Koss Avatar

Omg.. *bangs head*

What is it that the kiddies say? My son says 'You die dad? Git good!'

Lol...

gtesser, Elwyn and ChavaiotH like this.
  17. MasterWan

MasterWan Avatar

I still say, death should hurt. Especially at high lvls.

18. Koss

Koss Avatar

Totally agree!

19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Define "hurt" .

20. MasterWan

MasterWan Avatar

Hurt=want to avoid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.