I lost 1/4th of my GM's from one death!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by King Robert, Feb 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChavaiotH

ChavaiotH Avatar

Loss of XP is a payment for new body ;)

Paladin Michael likes this.
  2. Oeneusc

Oeneusc Avatar

I'm between 70 and 80 now.

I died multiple times last night and lost 4k out of a 150k pool on the last death. I don't know the math behind the decay system but that doesn't feel right.

3. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

I *had* flexibility until the mastery/specialization/proficiency system was brought in - now to stay competitive and combat some of the Skill Decay, I have to give up that flexibility and pick a certain class. Our "Classless" game is gone.

Sorry - but that is misinformation. UO has soul-stones that allow you to max all skills and use the ones that you want, when you want. SotA has a similar thing with the Deck System that caps you to 10 skills at a time that you can use (plus innate skills?). Adding in another cap from a different angle pushes this well past any comparison to UO.

4. Lace

Lace Avatar

Being GM aka hitting 100 means you can now teach other players when grouped with them. The skill gain from 80 to 100 is negligible from what you get from 0-80. Even for some stopping at 70 is a small xp cost compared to benefit. GM is not a prestige tag to me. It is a willingness to teach so don't think GM is that good of a thing. WIth the way decay works as I understand it, 0-40 no decay cost, 80 is a bit more, and 100 aka GM is alot etc. so locking at 99 is a strategy, but event just going to 79/80 is as good strategy to combat decay.

I hope this helps.

5. eli

eli Avatar

If you really don't like decay, it would be far more constructive to propose an alternative soft-cap than just say "remove it!"

Even though it's a poor solution, the underlying problem needs addressing.

6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

No! Chaos is the way. Salvation is coming! ALL HAIL THE BRR!

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  7. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

We are already "soft capped" through the deck system since we can only use a few skills at a time. Do we really need more?

I've seen lots of other alternatives proposed already. Most anything is more viable than the current system - even moving decay to game-time instead of a real-world clock (to at least not impact the casual player so much) would be a huge improvement.

8. eli

eli Avatar

So you're saying remove unlocked glyphs?

You can have all skills at 150 with the deck system...

Also since seeing a few questionable decay reports I thought I'd share my post-spec figures:
    Level 90 main - 46k, or 10 mobs of what I kill
    Level 85 alt - 18k, most of my skill protected in life, mostly covered by login bonus
    Level 70 alt - 500 yup, Oracle level

9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I
    T
    Y
    S

long ago it was stated that skills and items should not be gained so easily and so fast. At some point it was massively abused. It was "fixed" but not corrected. The fix still allowed players to grind away and amass exp and skills not intended.

So not developers are trying to back peddle and bring out what they intended, NOT possible.

Should have bitten the bullet long ago and cleared skills and exp. Ship Is long gone.

Someone once said make sure you release things slowly and make sure it is below what you want as it can always be increased, taking things back will be difficult.

so once again

I
    T
    Y
    S

Now begins the chase to catch the tail of the dragon.

The solution is working, not really affecting the ones that need it, making those who should have seen it coming upset, new players are seeing such negative feedback they will stop coming, who will be left when the dust settles?

If you are here and have so many GMs you know exactly what you need to do to keep / maintain them. If you fail to do so it is no one fault but your own. Since everyone has sat back and not actually tried to get it fixed when it was really broken you are now stuck with the result.

As some are seeing the time has come to pick a school / path / class. The game is classless as one can do whatever they want but within limits.

The limits are just now starting to work like intended.

This will not be popular but truth hurts.

10. Fazza

Fazza Avatar

It might now. Not when I played back in the day :)

Cock of the North likes this.
  11. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

No - you can't have all skills with the deck system... you can only have 10 at a time (ie: there are only 10 slots at any point in time open).

Elwyn likes this.
  12. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I would gladly fight someone that has every skill in one deck. The in-efficiency of the deck will balance out their maxed skills.

Deminishing returns and the deck system take care of the soft cap. The exp required to even get one skill to 150 for a very neglitiable gain will prevent most from taking their skills that high. But the skill collectors will actually play for the next 50 years trying to get all skills to 200. Guess what that is more players, playing.

Also, UO had 1 Magery tree, One resist skill, and one eval Int it and that was enough to be competitive. Because you got 64 spells from 3 skills.

FrostII and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  13. eli

eli Avatar

And then 3 seconds later you can have a totally different set of 10, and if you don't like those, there are 2 mechanisms to get a whole new set of 10. There is endless variety, and 10 is only a limit if you artificially constrain yourself as much as possible. It is as open as your brain can keep up with.

That is precisely the problem that decay is attempting to address. People that grind will be more powerful than "most." The economy, pvp, social gameplay, rewarding pve content, etc. are all dependent upon creating a balance. a "most" vs "skill collectors" paradigm upsets any attempts at creating that balance.

Except you also needed meditation, inscription, and 100 int if you wanted them to be maximally effective.. which meant that you could nolonger afford the skills, let alone the str and dex to also be a full-powered fighter. The caps enabled the flexibility you're describing with magery... it was not a coincidence.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Aw, I barely get one skill, then.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and eli like this.
  15. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

The reason I'm waiting for "release" to play again is this stupid mechanic. You implement death decay while vastly changing combat systems and balance? That's just bad amateur level design mistakes.

16. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

Of course someone with 40gm's isn't a new player. That's not the point they were making. This will turn off new players when they discover how hard this system can punish them for a single death later in the game, making them less hesitant to invest time getting there knowing it could potentially be lost very easily, or just with some bad luck.

17. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

Progress has been counting for more than a year and a half, and we've seen countless iterations on combat, if they were going to change this mechanic based on player response, they would've done it by now I'm afraid. Nothing they've announced has any indication that the mechanic is going anywhere - if they introduced a change like this, unexpectedly, a month before launch, that would also be amateur of them as developers. Their code should've been frozen weeks ago and absolutely nothing but critical bugs addressed from that point forward.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Not quite... unless I'm a smith and make my own equipment in which case I deserved low risk because of my efforts... cause I won't go in a high risk area which is harder with my absolute worse armor, I still need something quite good.

19. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

The point of my post was just to alert others to something I did not know, viz., that having skills set to unlearn does not save you if you die with a low XP pool. I have learned that lesson, the hard way, and I hoped to save others the grief of losing something they may have thought was safe. That is all. I appreciate all the feedback, and I will continue to have fun!

Numa, Barugon, EMPstrike and 4 others like this.
  20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

We did... in the end before the threads were locked, we had identified 3 solutions nobody really argued against, but the emotional charge on both side of the argument made everyone forget. It's not a simple issue to discuss, so it takes alot of focus, pun intended :p

eli likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.