I lost 1/4th of my GM's from one death!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by King Robert, Feb 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

And you're thinking that people who wish to advance their skills in order to attempt higher level content should be content to lock anything at 79 and just remain where they are ?

2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Apparently not here......

3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Are you not listening ? The "Soft Cap" and it's inherent Diminishing Returns along with the deck system itself is MORE than sufficient in terms of how much advantage the "skill collectors" (as you call them) have.
    The death penalty represents a type of negative advancement that will NOT be acceptable to anyone thinking logically and entering our game.
    And, btw, @eli - how much experience do you lose on your first death in 24hrs , since you seem to be fine with it ?

MrBlight and Frederick Glasgow like this.
  4. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

At your level you can't lose more than 20-30k per death. Check next time and report if you lose more than that.

Elwyn, MasterWan and Paladin Michael like this.
  5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Not even that much.....
    People should not enter this conversation without at least knowing how much they lose on their first death in 24hrs...... Entry requirement to discuss subjectively ..

6. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

You right, I edited my post.

FrostII likes this.
  7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ya ninja'd me Rada :cool:

Rada Torment likes this.
  8. eli

eli Avatar

Already said it in this thread, along with my litany of reasons for believing we need some kind of advancement cap.

And for the record, I am against decay. Instead, I am in favor of a properly functioning cap of any sort.

Level 90 main - 46k, or 10 mobs of what I kill
    Level 85 alt - 18k, most of my skill protected in life, mostly covered by login bonus
    Level 70 alt - 500 yup, Oracle level

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

We are in agreement then..
    That makes me happy.................................;)

10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@eli
    I went back thru the thread and can't seem to find where you said how much experience you lose on your first death in 24hrs, and I can't find it.
    Would you mind reminding me just for the record.....?

11. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I’m still in the 70’s with my adventure level and have reached the point where the daily 10k experience bonus is consumed if I die multiple times. (I think first death was round about 8k, next 4k,…)
    With an adventure level between 50-60 I would guess he could die a lot without reaching the 10k daily exp bonus.

12. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I'd disagree with this sentiment, not because I disagree in general but because that would rule me out of any conversation.
    :D
    I have a decent knowledge of the intent of the feature, the current implementation, the flaws and benefits in the implementation, the flaws and benefits in its use.
    But I have no clue about what my own decay currently is.
    ;)
    Which is because I personally don't mind decay for my avatar since I simply game the system and will not be that much affected by it.

However I oppose the feature since it doesn't fulfill its requirements, its too resource/time costly in its implementation for a small project, hurts casuals more than minmaxers and is a very bad fit for the product and its intended audience due to its affect on the "entertainment/enjoyment" of the product.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...hts-on-death-penalty-skill-progression.99443/

Something which your 'entry requirement' wouldn't let me do. :eek:

Hence a mild protest from this cutlery to such snobbery.
    :p

Happy hunting

Spoon

FrostII, Ahuaeynjgkxs, Lesni and 2 others like this.
  13. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

6 pages, same conversation as every other decay post.

The mechanic has failed to actually address the problem it was designed to fix.

It has affected the mid level player much more than target audience.

no one likes it but there is not viable solution ever given, since a wipe is out of the question.

Specialities are going to take care of a very little percentage but again will affect those that are needed to be affected will not mind at all.

so round and round we go, player hate decay, it breaks many things and fixes none, developlers are at a loss and cannot let go because then what they have at least slowed down would get out of control again, so it will sit.

sorry but

[​IMG]

Tetsu Nevara likes this.
  14. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

And still the worst system in game yet :)
    I wonder who many player would come back and play this game again when decay system will be destroyed.

FrostII, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Weins201 like this.
  15. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

The Feeling of loosing something just comes from the implemented XP - collecting - POOL.
    You receive XP points filling it up. Dying drains the pool.

May be the question, WHY we need the XP pool how it works yet could be the answer.
    As I asked first time about, years before, I was told: that's okay. You need xp to lvl up your skills.
    AND: It was done to prevent botting(!) Last information I accepted. But now we know, it can't prevent unfair playing anyway.
    So the question would be: Do we need it further in the state it is?

Imagine: If you're all out of XP (equal if new or a veteran player!) and you want to do the actual challenge with enemies and train how to defeat them,
    the hardest fights in this game, the most challenging fights in this game provides NO Skill improvement!

Using a skill the first time, it should receive more xp points as using it later.
    Making the 1000+1 Lightspell isn't something improving your ability very much.
    From lvl 1 to 10, 10 to 20, your learning curve is higher as from 40 - 60 - 80, and of course 80 - 100!

So a BASE XP by using a skill would be a fine thing.
    If my xp pool is empty, it doesn't matter for newbies, because they receive a base xp by using a skill and a progress can ever be made!
    It mustn't be that high! A few points to have a feeling of progress!

The pool (received and collected XP) could grant a faster improvement for higher skills, maybe from 60 ... at a state a basic xp works very slowly (but it does!).

My whole problem with XP POOL and DECAY are just two:
    1. without xp in my pool there is no progress for used skills - hardest fights (also hardest crafting = playertime) provides no skill improvement and don't honor the invested time!
    You can fight/craft hours for nothing ...
    In worst case (if you are new and don't know about this XP pool thing), you loose hours! I wondered and asked about and how it could be, my skills won't lvl up while I am using them?
    I was told: go further! It's okay! And today I am thinking: fighting Kobolds around Braemar again and again gave no skill improvement. That's hard - not fun ...
    So after knowing about, I don't waste(d) my time with challenging and trying difficult game parts, because I fear the death decay (how it works acutally!),
    I run back to a place I can manage and re-gain XP so I can make further progress. That's why people are talking about "grinding" ;)
    2. calculating the death decay in REAL time. We earn and collect the xp pool in game time. So it would be fair to loose it depending on game time.

If I play 1 hour a day I could lose every day the whole progress, only because of the calculation in real time - that's unfair and reason why people are angry.
    Telling them: don't die! It's easy, isn't a good answer. Why?
    They came in for a few hours a week and wants to have fun while playing. Not that bad feeling, a hour playing was wasted time ...
    And there is a difference to get defeated by enemies again and again - or losing the possibility to experience to be defeated again and again ...
    Again: No problem with decay - if it respects the invested time ...

My suggestion, @Chris:
    A base xp depending on skill lvl while USING a skill - like it works in real life: if you use it, you DON'T LOSE it. Actually in game we lose if we use ;) A kind of paradoxical? ;)
    This Base XP points would help players to raise skills, even the xp pool is complete empty. The XP Pool on top would help to raise skills from about 60/80.
    Or maybe you cancel this XP pool and gaining xp points depends on enemy Tier! Would be a fair way to manage ;)
    If we die, the xp we gain could be reduced by (50)% for (x) hours ...

My really last post about XP pool and death decay ...

Fister Magee likes this.
  16. MasterWan

MasterWan Avatar

“Wand to avoid”. No one even knows what that means mr vocab. ;)

17. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This. Sure, you could take everything to GM because... GM! But every one you do that with and leave on Maintain is that much more drain from your pool. There are a lot of skills that don't do you much good past 40/60/80, for instance, Light. Sure, you can GM Light, but why? For the e-peen? Remember that most skills take you around 4000 (yes four thousand) XP to get to level 40, and they're usually protected by the next tier anyhow, so zero decay.

EDIT: I had one good reason pointed out: attunement

And I'm just going to guess that two skills at 100 will probably take more pool than whatever you get with one skill at twice the XP of 100.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  18. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Search decay. Theres been .. so many.. alternatives presented.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Duke Albert like this.
  19. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Okay, I just took a death for SCIENCE!

Adventurer level 84, with three adventuring skill GMs, hadn't been outside of a town for at least 36 hours, probably longer. (I think the decay time cap is 24 hours.) Ran out and got killed by the first thing handy, while keeping my skills screen open making sure my XP didn't change before I died.

6470522 pool before dying
    6454225 pool after dying

I lost 16297 from my pool. (That's for the first death. If I immediately died a second time, I should lose about 8150.)

I don't know what you did, but you probably had skills set to learn and sucking down XP, and then compared your pool after death with your pool from an hour earlier. I normally leave my skills on maintain unless I'm specifically leveling them and build up a pool until I decide what I want to level. The last time I did that, I burned 2M from my pool in about 20 minutes.

EDIT: 20 minutes later, and I've already earned it all back.

Hornpipe and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  20. Katu

Katu Avatar

Not possible. As lvl 73 with 2 gms and bout 10 at 80+ I lose under 10k.
    You spent it to some skills. If you still think you lost that much, then something bugged, report it. Decay is annoying concept, but not THAT annoying.

Barugon, Elwyn and Rada Torment like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.