Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Game breaker...lot deed cost @spoon

Discussion in 'Release 51 Feedback Forum' started by hearsehauler, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hearsehauler

hearsehauler Avatar

I have been following this game since before Release 10. Being very excited about its development and ultimate release. I have found a bug or two, during development, and reported them (all fun). The game has blossomed visually and story wise, with a great combat/non-combat skill tree and MANY things to see, discover, and do.

That being said I find myself straying further away the closer we get to an actual release. The only reason for this is the realization of the unlikeliness of ever getting "my" own home in the game, because "lot deeds" are so far out of reach (real world money wise) .

I voluntarily spent $120 (to support development) and am happy to have done so. To pay for the base game and then discover that you have to pay a minimum of another $85 for the smallest lot in the game, seems to me to be beyond what the typical/casual player would be willing to spend (AAA games today are $60 or free with a $15/month sub). Yes I acknowledge there is a lottery for deeds (and I've tried it), the discouraging thing about the lottery is from what I see its 'just' like any other lottery (its main purpose is to create funding for the lottery organizer). I think I am slightly more than a casual player for this genre and I'm guessing most "casual" players are not willing to grind out 10k for every lottery ticket, thou some may be willing to buy COTOS and convert to gold, to get a ticket.

Why are lots so expensive and why are so few awarded? Are there any plans to create a quest to receive a lot (even if it is a row lot, for a POT)? If so that quest can't have a T5 requirement to complete and should be soloable (even if the character has to be T3). There will be a fan base for this game...no doubt, BUT I firmly believe it will be much smaller than it could be, solely due to real world cost of housing. BUT hey with the lower federal tax maybe I'm totally off target.

Tell me I'm wrong, crazy, blind, stupid...I don't care, BUT please back up the statement with facts to support it!
    Thank you for time

Olthadir, Salix, zyxe and 10 others like this.
  2. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

You're not crazy and in fact I agree with many of your points, but you asked for @Spoon so I won't bore you with my opinion! SPOOOOOON! :D

3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I know many people that have mined and sold the mats to buy the deeds. It did not take them to long to do so, only like a week or 2 depending on hours played.

4. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Lot deeds are available in game now from coto vendors bought with cotos. Gold earned in game can be converted to coto's ( lots places) then just buy a deed. 2 days mining would get you a row deed, 4-5 days a village deed and about 10-12 or so for a town deed. All quite possible.

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You can buy COTOs in-game from other players (don't know how long this will last though) and buy a lot deed from the appropriate obsidian merchant.

Kain Darkmoor likes this.
  6. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

The only problem with this method is that the lot deeds that can be bought from crown merchants in game are taxed lots, but if the OP doesn't care about paying daily taxes for the deed he/she should have no problem finding a free lot in game after buying the deed from a crown merchant.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Thank you for your communication @hearsehauler and I totally understand where you are coming from. Housing was not planned out it just happened to be the major funding for this game and the reason the game even exists. We cannot go back and make it so some other feature that did this for the game. It just happened that housing and player owned towns made this possible. Also in early days we had payment plans which is how I got my pledge level. But for all of those coming to the game now since this is how it is, their options should be very clear on entering this game. If there is going to be a land-owner quest I am not sure at this time. I think that that could be considered if the game funding is stable but who knows what the devs plan.

So for now we have renting, raffle, addon store, and purchases from other players in game lot deeds for in game gold, and a market place that has option for in game gold or for real money for lot deeds. This may not be what people want to hear, but they should hear it. For some renting is fantastic and for others they are closed minded to start this way. You can use the rental to start to build up gold then hunt out player vendors for in game lot deeds for gold also after you have saved up enough. Some cost as much as 1 million gold and others less. Some are taxed which is cheaper to buy and tax-free is very very expensive and many times only sold for real money. At least in the meantime players have rental and can have access to amenities like deco, placing chests etc. Also town owners go out of their way to provide everything they can for residents to have fun and be comfortable to just play the game. I know we do in the town I live in. It is mostly in consideration for them that we create.

I do sincerely hope that we have in-game events in the future for loyal players to win things. Such as a fishing event announced that a fish swallow a taxed-free lot deed and a few other add-on store items. Damn him anyway ;) and the contest begins for players all over New Britannia to fish for the lot deed and other items.

Anyway if I can help we offer free housing to anyone in our town as do many others and I know this is not a solution but it is a possible option for now. I am Majoria in game and anyone can contact Baldrith in game as well.

edit and yes now deeds are in game at crown merchants to buy as mentioned and cotos can be bought with in game gold on player vendors as well as another option. ;)

8. Twiggi Fizzlesticks

Twiggi Fizzlesticks Avatar

So in a typical AAA game one would spend $180 a year in subscription (cheaper if you buy 1/2 year or year at a time)
    Are you saying casual players would be willing to spend that amount over multiple years, but not a one time cost of $85 for a lot deed?

CatherineRose and Daxxe Diggler like this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Lot deeds in the add-on store are also taxed. The only way to get a tax free deed is to pony up for a $275+ bundle or buy a deed directly from another player.

Numa and twofoldsilence like this.
  10. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

You can purchase a Row Lot Deed for less than 300k IGG IN GAME :)

Laz

3devious, Womby, Sorthious and 4 others like this.
  11. oplek

oplek Avatar

One of my frustrations has been the responses to people asking how to get deeds, both from streamers and Portalarium.

Someone will wander in, and ask about deeds, and the first thing that comes out of their mouths is to go to the online store, pull out a few credit cards, and buy a bundle. I feel like this really doesn't help the reputation of the game.

I try to point out in the chat that you can use IGG to buy them from other players, or win them in the raffle, and the streamer is like "yeah... well, that's true... but make sure to check out the store and spend your live savings on a virtual lot deed!"

Buying with IGG should be the first thing mentioned... but it's often not even on the radar.

12. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

13. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Correct. Although the trend is shifting away even from subscriptions.

14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I understand this frustration if players do that. In this game it is only one of the facts. There are other ways to get deeds which should also be clearly stated to all players at the start of this game. I have never been sorry to get my deed by paying real money. It is a relief every day to me to have a tax-free deed. This is why I offer free housing to anyone who comes in game. A game that offers housing should have it available to all players in some form even if it is free rentals, taxed deeds purchased in game from players etc.

I'm sorry but complaining now is not going to change it and I don't say that snarky at all I promise you. I do understand players frustrations with this fact and I feel we just need to present it to new players in positive ways that help them get past it.

This game is truly amazing in so many ways, not perfect of course but it has so many amazing aspects with many more coming in the future. Such as when we get boating, treasure hunting, mounts and hopefully horse racing and horse training and taming. And no one should forget the music system this game has if they love music. Syncing music is such a joy. You can do so much in this game and more and more coming. So much in the horizons. I truly hope we can get past this for players to get comfy and settle in to enjoy the game. Believe me I do wish for this. :)

Elwyn likes this.
  15. Astor Cerberus

Astor Cerberus Avatar

You're not wrong. Housing was intended to be rare and limited. HOWEVER - it's a huge aspect of the game, at least the way it has evolved.

There are players out here though who feel passionately that players who want to experience the housing system should get the chance to do so - my own POT (Knight's Watch), has a free housing program where you can get full access to a home at no cost (not just a room). It doesn't solve the problem for everyone, but we provide a bandaid that you're welcome to take advantage of: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...house-still-available-in-knights-watch.81737/

Astor Cerberus
    Governor, Knight's Watch

16. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

I know that's actually my point. I have at least 4 friends that aren't willing to play SotA, because they don't have a lot of spending money, and they want a tax free deed, because they also don't play enough to be able to afford even the 500GP a day taxes for a row lot. Especilly, when first starting out. Yeah. I know. You can get 500GP from the Oracle daily, but my point is they don't play daily, so when they do play they need to grind at least a little just to get the GP they need to maintain their taxed row lot for the days they didn't login just to get the free gold from the Oracle.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

I've bought lot deeds from other players with gold and won some in the monthly raffles with gold. If I wanted to, I could but COTOs with gold. I don't mind dealing with other players; but if I did, there's still the raffle. If you put the market value of a deed in a raffle, you have pretty solid odds to win it. They're attainable.

My bigger issue is with taxes. At the higher end, they make holding out for a TF lot trade too attractive.

18. Koss

Koss Avatar

Can you not also craft your own house? Im not sure how many styles or types are available as I have not looked into this yet.

19. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

Yes. You can, but you still need a land deed to place them, plus it requires an extremely high level of Carpentry. I believe it's between 80 - 95 for many of the village sized houses, and 95 - 100 for some of the larger village/row houses. Also, they require a very large quantity of maple or pine wood.

Ravicus Domdred and Koss like this.
  20. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Time to open up a bunch of generic instances of unnamed cities with very cheap lots for anyone with an account that does not include a lot to buy. People purchasing such lots would be restricted to placement in the generic instances. These lots would be taxable but restricted as to placement. Housing for those lots would come through normal in game purchase or from the store. Port profit would be from taxes and upgrades at a later date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.