How to Own a Home in SotA Without Spending Money (Updated Feb 2020)

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Bayard, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

Q. I have game access. Do I have to spend money to get a house?
    A. No! Just finish the main Solace Bridge Outskirts quest to earn your reward of a Player Owned Town Row Lot Deed which comes with a two-story row home ready to decorate!

The Solace Bridge Outskirts quest is NOT the main SotA quest! Solace Bridge Outskirts has beginning-level quests and the main Outskirts quest to get your free row lot deed generally takes an hour or two to complete.

When you finish the main SotA quest, you'll be rewarded with an additional Player Owned Town Village Lot Deed and a Shingle-Roof (Village Home) house deed for your heroic efforts!

Q. I got my row lot deed from the Solace Bridge Outskirts quest. Now what?
    A. Check out this awesome guide by Synergy Blaize!

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...deed-from-completing-outskirts-quests.155817/

Q. How can I afford my 250 gold per day tax!
    A. Earn it by adventuring and/or visiting the Oracle every day and answering accurately to get 500 gold. Don’t forget to pay your taxes or your lot and possessions will go to the bank and you’ll have to redecorate your home after you reclaim another lot.

Q. I love my home! How do I get another one?

A1. This is where you'll spend some effort if you want another lot and home before you finish the main SotA quest (And before R62, the below was the only way to own a home without spending money before finishing the main quest). Owning multiple homes (and decorating them) is one of SotA’s most interesting and fun activities. The first step in the process is having enough in-game currency to purchase or upgrade a lot deed. There are many ways to earn gold to purchase taxed Player Owned Town (POT) lot deeds or upgrade existing deeds.
    A2. In R53, it was rumored that lot and home deeds were going to be added to loot via the supply bundles. We don't yet have enough information to tell you the chances of getting one or which color has the best chance but I'll update this page as we get more info.

Q. How do I earn gold?
    A. There are several ways to earn gold:
    - You can kill mobs, get a small amount of gold and then sell the looted weapons, armor and potions
    - You can visit the Oracle each day and get 500 GP by answering the question accurately
    - You can gather resources. There are mines suitable for newer arrivals and you can sell the ore to NPC vendors or other players (Player vendors pay MUCH more. Find player vendors with items they will buy in their Sell tab).
    - Do quests. Many quests give hundreds of gold as rewards which can add up.
    - Convert your COTOs to gold at a player vendor.
    - Set up your own vendor and sell items to other players for gold.

Q. How long will it take to get enough gold to buy another lot deed?
    A. That depends on how much time you want to devote to your goal. As a very conservative example, I went to the South Celestial Wetlands, a Tier Two zone but not too difficult if you are patient and heal between fights. I made one pass through the two bandit camps, killed and looted everything I could, mined 7 pieces of ore and then left. My haul was 394 looted gold, 355 in sold loot and 280 from selling ore to a player vendor at 40 each for a total of 1,029 gold on a single run through the two bandit camps. You can probably do the camps three or four times in an hour and mining the ore should give you about 4,000+ gold per hour. At that rate, and as a worst-case scenario, it would take you about 78 hours if you only did the above. The reality is that it won’t take you that long since you will progress in levels and kill faster. You may also get lucky and get rare resources to sell, like Beetle Carapaces from cotton plants, at 1000+ gold each from player vendors!
    Hint – I sold the above weapons in the Outlander Welcome Center. Instead, go next door to Soltown where Annika will give you 20% more for your weapons.
    Hint II – If you want to mine, the Whiteguard Foothills contains the Lost Whiteguard Silver Mine. It is riskier than the South Celestial Wetlands but there are many ore nodes and lots of enemies to fight and loot. You should be able to sell the ore for many thousands of gold per hour if you can handle the mobs that spawn.

It took @Vladamir Begemot 66 hours, 16 minutes with Vic, a brand new avatar and no outside help to earn enough gold to purchase a Player Owned Town (POT) taxed row deed for 325,000 gold. His well-documented journey is here https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-race-to-home-ownership.111801/. Congrats Vic!

Q. Can I buy larger deeds and homes?
    A. Yes, many player vendors offer larger lot deeds and homes. Shop around and compare merchants. One advantage from buying from a player vendor is they may offer Place Anywhere Deeds which will enable you to claim a lot in any town in the game that has an open lot. However, they are very expensive.

Edit - Please feel free to copy/post this information anywhere it will help other Community members.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

just want to say a BIG Thank You to everyone... :)

P.S. great post to guide those who are new to SotA...

3. Numa

Numa Avatar

Visiting the town crier at an NPC town, PRT or POT also earns you 100 gold (one time only).

4. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

This needs to be glued/nailed/stuck/pinned, or/and mailed to new players....

5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Another tip : there are some resources in the game that can be sold to NPC merchants for a good price and currently have no other uses. Emerald Ash Borers are found on trees, Black Cutworms are found on Cotton Bushes and Aortic Thrombuses are obtained when skinning animals. They are more common in higher level scenes, but you can find enough in 3 skull zones to help fill your pockets with gold.

Try to train the Heavy Lifter skill as early as possible in order to be able to carry more loot in one go.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  6. Nick

Nick Avatar

Can I have permission to put this into a book and have it displayed in resolute and my nearby POT?

7. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Note that you can ask the Oracle about your progress before having her test you, and she will tell you the answers to the test. No guesswork needed.

8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Do you literally have to panic, and log-in every single day and pay the 500 gold tax, just to own a home?

9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Yes. And no. You can stock cash on the deed so it pays automatically as long as there is money on the deed.

Lyndoman, Kara Brae and Numa like this.
  10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Can you please explain this more clearly? If I HAVE to log in every single day to pay 500 gold to have a House I am not interested AT ALL. If there are ways to manage this then I might actually be interested.

This is the entire point of which I have no interest at all in owning a House.

SalsaDMA likes this.
  11. Numa

Numa Avatar

Just to add - random encounters and adventure scenes can easily net you enough gold to pay several days of rent (assuming a row lot here). The Oracle gold is just a bonus.

12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Open "Lot Deeds" window.
    Click "Add Credit"
    Put it up to the amount you would like, using COTO's or gold
    Highlight the lot, click "Pay Lot Taxes"
    Prepay from the credit, up to the amount you would like

Note. get something like 2 weeks grace period when you first claim the lot. It says "Days Remain" over on the left, that's the number you don't want to get down to 0. Prepay as high as you would like.

Second note, depending on your pledge level you still need to sign in occasionally, or you will one day lose all claimed lots. I'm not sure what the cheapest one is, and it's impossible to tell for yourself without looking it up because the timer reset every time you log in. You can see it on other peoples lots, "Claim expires in X Days." This isn't taxes, this is the grace period they have before which they must log in.

TheArcher, Bie, Lyndoman and 4 others like this.
  13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Sure.
    So, you have to pay for a deed every single day. You can either pay with gold or cotos.
    A row deed is 500g a day.
    But you can stock up money on the deed (or cotos). So e.g. if you stock up 5000g you don't have to take care about paying taxes for 10 days and don't have to log in.
    500g sound a lot to ppl but at the moment i am sitting on 400k gold with an lvl 39 adv account.
    And i am not playing every day at the moment.
    So it's doable.

Edit:
    @Vladamir Begemot beat me to it ^^

Lyndoman, Jaesun and Numa like this.
  14. SteelCore

SteelCore Avatar

You can pay the tax up to 90 days in advance, at the beginning ist maybe a bit much but the Oracle gives you 500 gold per day.

Jaesun, Numa and majoria70 like this.
  15. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

OK thank you! That is actually manageable (I don't have a problem getting gold and such and I trade a LOT to player vendors for the sought out goods). Just now need to explore more and see where I would like a place.

16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Enjoy!

Jaesun likes this.
  17. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

How/where do you buy COTOs with gold coin? I've only seen player vendors buying it, not selling it. And they are buying it for between 2.8-3.1K. I imagine if there were to sell, it would be around 4K each. Therefore, to afford a Village lot, which is 165 COTOs, I'd need something like 660K in-game gold minimum. Assuming I can even find that many COTOs for sale on vendors.

I realize I could buy the COTOs through the store, but I feel like that would lessen the accomplishment to me personally. I want to feel like I earned my home through hard work and persistence. I will be making store purchases for other cosmetics to help support the game - I have no problem with that. I just really want to achieve my house through in-game play.

Furthermore, I went to try and find some of the raffle tickets I've heard about. I went to the Estate vendor in Resolute, and also the Decorations vendor, but neither had the raffle tickets for sale. How do I acquire raffle tickets? I heard on the livestream the other night that they'd be available.

Thanks

18. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@Ryodin Stormwind my guess is the lottery returns at launch, I think that was a "It's coming back" announcement, but new things appear at the end of the month updates.

Since I'm working toward home ownership strictly in game, I've been wondering how I'm going to get those COTO's as well, as I haven't seen any stacks for sale recently.

But as I was chatting with some fellows at the docks last night, they both said they had seen stacks of them. It might just be that I'm looking in the wrong location.

I think we'll see in influx of COTO's soon, perhaps at launch. Chris has said that the drop rate will increase when COTO's top 3500g, which has happened. Hopefully the free market also takes care of the giant hole and restocks!

19. Numa

Numa Avatar

People bought out all available COTOS sold on vendors ingame before the recent price hike on the online store. Since demand outstripped supply, prices have skyrocketed.

Wait a week or two for the selling price and supply to normalize. 3-3.5k in ingame gold per COTO should be the norm unless something unusual happens.

Vladamir Begemot and Aartemis like this.
  20. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Just a suggestion - if this is supposed to be an informative post that actually teaches players how to get a house in a relatively decent amount of time with IGG, you should probably actually demonstrate that. Here, you've pretty much done the opposite - "hey, if you do it the way I just described in detail, it will take you FOREVER... but there's probably other ways to get it, and you might get lucky" doesn't really teach anyone, and honestly seems more discouraging than anything else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.