The Race to Home Ownership

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PureEffort, Mar 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PureEffort

PureEffort Avatar

How long (in hours) does it take a basic account to get to the wealth level where they can buy an in game lot?

I've bought this new account in order to find out. Want to join me?

I don't have the bandwidth to stream, so I'll write in my gold amount and hours played right here, and maybe some commentary, where I'm playing, etc..

A few self imposed rule:

• Extras (invincible tool, potions, etc.) from the bundle get given to my main account so that this is only a "default" account. I'll give my main account the gold it would take to upgrade my bank account to it's current level as well.
    • I won't give myself anything, or accept free stuff from others. Also, no trailing behind a high level player to get my XP up.
    • If I have buy orders that are open for all and normally used by all, I can sell there as well.
    • If I find free housing from other players (not me) I may take it.
    • If I come across some other players that want to play with me at my level, I might join them.
    If you would like to participate, you can make your own thread, post in here, or just link to a twitch stream or videos. Lets go!

(It would be nice if some better players than I tried this as well. @Mac2, do you have an hour or two extra a day? @Rada Torment ?)

2. PureEffort

PureEffort Avatar

Note: Not playing this account for the story, that's my main, so I'm not going to be spending lots of time reading quests or doing ones that are going to help my pocketbook.

Isle of Storms: 3 minutes

I went for Solace Bridge because I think as a solo I'll do bow.

Batter of Solace Bridge: 10 minutes

Wow, looks MUCH better than when I last played through. Looted bad guys, not good good guys. Went to the far little ruins and looted those guys.

Left with 277 gold, and much loot.

Total Play Time: 13 minutes
    Total Gold: 277

3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I have guildies that have done this, and I have posted on some other thread as to how. Gathering resources and selling them to buy the deed. This was done before with money, and now is done with in game coin.

4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Very nice please keep it up but also include what skillz you train - what types armor and such oyu buy - and what you need to buy to keep fighting (arrows reagents and stuff)

This will help newer players see what they really need to do to achieve certain goals.

5. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Sure, go for it!

I'm here willing to help, but if you wont any "physical" ingame help, at low level the best you can do, like Mac said, is sell everything you gather and loot. The random encounters with nodes are really good (I think they are lvl 2 scenes). I could show you a good route for this, just let me know.

I can only talk about my guild and my own experience, two guild mates managed to buy a taxed row lot deed with ingame gold in 2 months, and other two mates in 3 months.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  6. PureEffort

PureEffort Avatar

Solace Bridge Outskirts

45 minutes at the end of the post
    Got encumbered and headed to Soltown

Went to Soltown, sold trash. Spent 300g sending stuff from the bundle to my main character, thus "opening" 30 more spaces in my bank.

Scrapped stuff that couldn't be sold (value 0.)

Spent 100 opening Ammo Scavenger.

Went to Outlander Welcome Center, hit up Oracle. Bought Elven Woodwind Longbow from @Elas TheWise for 75g! Yes, it's just loot, but it's got 89 durability and 6 - 18 Damage + 6Dex. Shouldn't need gear again for a long, long time.

Previous bow was 2 - 7.

Main "I buy resources" vendor by the Inn has too big of stacks. I'll message Johnkirk and tell him that newbies need to sell things in stacks of 1.

Sold 240g worth of mats to S Mart (me @Vladamir Begemot ). If only I had more single wood buy orders on I wouldn't have to list on the Ardoris PV! It happens, people come through and fill them and keeping the buy orders up is a pain.

(S Mart buy orders are usually up all the time unless someone or multiple people have come through and cleared them out. I've been doing this for months, so this new characters only advantage is knowing they exist, but plenty of other new players have also sold things there.)

Going to Ardoris to put all the other loot on the PV. I picked up mugs and such, people buy this stuff so why not? Also a bit of wood and bark is going up.

Grabbed mail for Solania. (There's a row lot available somewhere in Ardoris FYI.)

Back at Outskirts, time for first loop: 55 minutes
    Total Time: 1:08
    Gold: 1640
    Weight: 29.3/85
    Gained 1 badass bow.
    Str: 10, Dex: 20, Int: 10

7. PureEffort

PureEffort Avatar

Previous post things I didn't note, got out to the Cultists and killed them in their little circle. Found the Scout, didn't talk to the farmer, didn't do the zombie alchemist stuff.

Baliverne likes this.
  8. PureEffort

PureEffort Avatar

Learned Fishing. Turned in a bunch of quests with Captain Kinsey, with kids, and heirlooms from previous loop. Foolishly sold all the wood or put it on PV.

Damn! Smoking small wolves with 2 hits! It hasn't really made the place less dangerous, as I don't think it is anyway, but does speed me up.

Paid my respects, a butterfly flew around, so nice!

I gotta say, I don't know if it's the new trees or the lighting, but it looks so great now!

Did another whole round, Alpha Wolf and Zombie thing turnin. Got part or maybe all of the Ghost quest done, not sure. I got a reward but it seems like I should be reuniting 3, not just 2. It cost me about 15 minutes of running in circles. Typical for me, "I'm just going to focus. Oooooh quests!"

Turn in Wood. Opened up Train Strength and Reckless Stance.

Skip the clay here, it seems to only give worms. It is useful for crafting, but not if it's just worms.

I've been selling granite to NPC's. Players, including me, usually only pay 2.5, so it's not worth lugging it back for the extra .5.

Did a pass through Solace Bridge to pick up any missed quest items. Looted until I could barely move.

Finished, went to Bastion's Point to see if they have any Sell's. Going to buy a +5 exceptional Wolf Hat with 5.6 Dex and 1.2 Strength for 1495g. I have 6413 gold before the purchase.

Unfortunate, they only have big buy orders of 25 or more. I know that it's a pain to keep them up, but this is the single biggest help we can be to new players, particularly right outside of the Outskirts! @Kaydrah can you guys team up and get some smaller buy orders on there? The benefit is that new players like to buy things with the money they make from selling to you. Seriously, over at the Factorium and Help Center, they will sell me a bunch of small stuff and then turn around and buy their gear, it's economy.

Ok, checked all the BP Public vendors, can't sell a thing, it's off to Outlander Help Center to sell to S Mart.

No, first Soltown. Turn in quests. @Ker has the first lot. No buy orders. Silverhold the second. No buy orders. Lux Buy and Sell has buy orders, but they are all too big for a noob. Ah, EVL came close, I could sell them some garlic, but the buy orders are still in the 5's and 10's. I know it's a pain, trust me, my mailbox is overflowing with "Good news, someone sold you 1 clay block!" But it gets them started.

Thanks S Mart! I just sold 18 Wood Scrap, 35 Metal Scrap, 1 Pine Wood, 5 Maple Wood, 2 Copper Ore, and 1 Iron Ore. 376 gold!

I'll list my randoms in Ardoris tomorrow, it's late.

I turned on public stats so this can be more, public. "Vic" is the in game name.

Time: 1:58 (I know, I was typing this for a lot longer, but there were bug reports and more going on. I used a stopwatch.)

Total Time: 3:06
    Gold: 6041
    Weight: 70.9/93.5
    Gained 1 badass wolf hat.
    Str: 14, Dex: 36, Int: 10

Derium, Sentinel2, Rentier and 8 others like this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Awesome idea. I love seeing this kind of thing. It is a Marathon. Have fun and best wishes to you.

10. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

This is interesting experiment indeed. Go @PureEffort Go! :)

11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

12. Elas TheWise

Elas TheWise Avatar

Love this report! When you get up to mid range gear needs check out Whyte Roc. There are some nice shops there for mid to high end stuff.

13. PureEffort

PureEffort Avatar

As mentioned above my friends, this is Vladamir Begemot, so while I'm not a new player, playing with those restrictions puts me in their shoes. I just wanted to make that clear.

@Spoon I checked that and couldn't sell either, or maybe I was able to sell 1 thing.

The pain but great service is the small 1's buy orders. The problem is that someone with 187 wood will come through and sell it all to you, as we discussed a year or so ago.

It becomes a full time job. What I've started doing in Factorium and to a lesser extent in Outlander Help Center and Veritas Sanctuary is put a bunch of different sized orders up.

So for instance, a buy order of 1000, 500, 100, 100, 100, 50, 20, 20, 20, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1

Ouch, it's a lot of work. But from a benefit to the game perspective, that new player that can come by and sell 7 wood is getting a big start. The reason they can sell that 7 is because the person that came through earlier with 187, or 1231, was able to sell in big chunks and so there are buy orders left over.

Now, from an economic perspective it isn't worth the benefit of buying at a little under market compared to the time it takes to put that order in. Yes, I can resell them, but as you know the time it takes to post a 1 item buy order and then deal with that in the mail system makes this a purely charitable move.

But they appreciate it. Those who have latched on to my vendors have used them to get a solid footing in the game. I had one new player go from 2000 gold in his purse to 50,000 in 2 weeks. He wasn't only selling to me, and he was also refining materials for me, but he said at one point "Thanks for making me rich."

Now that he's up and running, he has ventured out a lot farther and isn't doing so much crafting, leaving room for others. Plus, he comes through and buys our furniture or gear, so some of that gold has come back.

What we really need for the next version of the vendor interface, when we put up a single order of "I buy wood at 25g", is something designed specifically for small quantity buy orders.

We don't want to run out of gold, and we don't want to only sell one big lump of 1000 to a single player. So we need to be able to put a "Max number I'll buy from 1 player" restriction on, or similar, once we get to the point where we can put up a single order that can be fulfilled by many players. Once that happens I bet we see a lot more buy orders spread out around all the player vendors. It really is a good thing, it's just that the time overhead can suck the life out of you.

@DarkStarr I know you're busy and this isn't in the current time frame, but this post will help you understand the need for the above mentioned player set constraints. Coloring for your speed reading benefit.

With all that said, today we probably won't be seeing much of "Vic/PureEffort" as I'll be making sure those newbie areas are restocked again, and switching more S Marts to fancy vendors across the world. Perhaps tonight I can squeeze in an hour or two.

And I would love to see someone else trying the same thing! It's not a race if it's just me.

Derium, Hazard, DarkStarr and 9 others like this.
  14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

This is cool.

I hhad to tell a fella in lux sanctuary the same thing about beetle carapaces. Everywhere i went people wanted to buy 20 or more.

The guy in lux put up buy orders for stacks of 1 2 5 10 and 20 after that. Made making money sooo much easier

15. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Agreed. I used to play every cycle as a newbie back until last summer. It gives you a totally different perspective. Hence why it's good to have those eyes when you have that POV.
    I also think it is worth extra when someone who knows the game does it because they are more aware of the possibilities and limits.

Yes to the effort of setting up all those small orders, it's usually too much for me. So the smallest I go unfortunately are 5.

Which yes would be helped instantly if we could partially fulfill orders or list a stock at a price. That would be a boost to the economy right away for all from small to large.
    Also I'm amazed they haven't looked more into it from a performance only perspective. Loading that list with 30 - 60 extra x3 or x1 listings when you add that up in every scene becomes a lot of unnecessary listings that needs to load etc.

Rentier, PureEffort and Adam Crow like this.
  16. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I can put up some smaller orders for the different ore types. But I'm probably going to price them 5gp less per ore than the bigger ones to encourage players to save up a little more before turning them in. Then at least they will have the option to sell smaller stacks.

Does that sound reasonable?

Elwyn, Numa, Spoon and 1 other person like this.
  17. PureEffort

PureEffort Avatar

Yeah, I torture myself.

I think I'll try that too. Lets see how it goes! Can you and @Spoon (and anyone else with small reasonable buy orders) post here so I have exact info for the upcoming guide?

Adam Crow likes this.
  18. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

Seems like a good experiment.

PureEffort likes this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I jealously hoard my beetle carapaces.

20. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

This is a fantastic idea and I look forward to seeing the results.

PureEffort likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.