Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

SotA is not ready for Release - too many broken and messed up quests.

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Anendrue, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

I hate to say this but hopefully someone in charge will notice. This game is nowhere ready for release. The quests are still so bugged up that any reviewer will trash this game from beginning to end.

For example:
    • I have had quests I completed reenter my journal and task list when partying with someone who has not completed that quest just by entering a zone where they will do the quest.
      • This also resulted in their quests advancing even if they did not do earlier steps. Where you go should not advance quest lines. It should be what you do that advances quests lines.
    • Just entering a city can cause quest lines to jump forward even when not speaking with anyone.
    • Many quests may not be completed due to conversations not advancing.

MIJ, Maverick2, Charli.J and 10 others like this.
  2. Fazza

Fazza Avatar

A bit of a brutal title, but I have to agree.

I reset my quest status in release 50 thinking they would be all polished (and they were in terms of NPC interactions and the ability to complete them, just not from the journal perspective). I got my shroad again after running though all the main storyline quests. My 'current' tasks list on my Journal is one heck of a mess with quests not being removed after completion. Pages of it.
    I also did ALL of the virtue armour pieces questlines and they seem to have been handled better in terms of removal from current tasks, although I still have a lot of stuff in there from completed 'outskirts' quests. For the virtue banners...etc. Lots of blue sparkled NPC POIs on my compass as well.

I mirror your view on post-release reviews if this is not addressed. The quest lines will be one of the key things they look at and it wont bode well if enteries are left in journals and NPCs are left flashing after the correct interaction. Even if you can complete the storylines just fine now.

smack and Anendrue like this.
  3. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

Yes my title is harsh but pretty accurate. I too did the reset a couple of days ago. Under the impression of immediate release in three weeks meant the game was working moderately well. Lots of quest and journal entries everywhere. At least you can hide them and have a count of messed up (that is hidden ) quest entries.

Charli.J and smack like this.
  4. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

The best way for us to address these bugs as they occur is for us to receive detailed reports including specifics. Which tasks are remaining in your journal? Which tasks are having their progress unexpectedly forced? Which quests cannot be completed? Which quest indicators are getting stuck to compasses when they should be cleared after a quest is indicated?

Any details that can be provided would assist immensely.

smack, Rentier, Anendrue and 2 others like this.
  5. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

We have a fix going in for this in R52

6. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

@DarkStarr @Attenwood

I'd have to say that I have also experienced innumerable quests that remained in my journal after completing as well as persistent sparklies, etc.

A great many of the bugs occur if I do things "out of order" as compared to the sequence of events that appears to be going on in the devs minds. For example, when I enter a new zone, I usually run around and canvas the entire area around the perimeters before I head straight in. This often results in me coming across something interesting that is quest related that triggers an entry in my journal, but only later getting the "previous" entry which never clears.

Actually- I've filed so many bug reports about these. I would say maybe 25% of them are ever acknowledged and entered. The remainder don't even get acknowledged and fall out of the current release bug list as well as my memory. Others- I've actually received pushback from the devs on which also makes it kind of additional deterrent to report these kinds of bugs. I understand you guys probably get a lot of false positives, however I've got other things to do besides argue with devs and having to "prove" with videos and images that the bugs I report are indeed bugs.

I'd actually like to push back a bit myself here, and suggest that filing individual bug reports for all of these doesn't sound like the best approach with just weeks until Launch, seeing as how this has been the approach in the past and has resulted in tons of these falling through the cracks. I get the impression there is something systemic going on that is resulting in a bunch of these bugs. You guys really might want to consider putting somebody internally on the game from beginning to end with a checklist for each and every quest to make sure that it clears the journal and sparklies properly. They might have a much easier time discerning a pattern to the bugs that points at something more fundamentally broken about the way quests are handled in the journal and compass.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  7. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Problem is that some of us who have bugged journal entries had those for long, like me.

I could report those, but I can't be sure that there has been no fix for each one, as long as some are something like 8 or 10 releases old when others are a bit more recent.

I should have reported those earlier, but, to be honest, I completed most of my quests when they were not even complete and polished, so... I felt like it was useless to do so.

smack and Anendrue like this.
  8. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

I have provided some bug reports but some have been addressed and some ignored. Darkstarr says he will fix it in R52 so hopefully we can bank on that statement.

Charli.J, smack and rpgmaniac82 like this.
  9. Fazza

Fazza Avatar

Hello,

Oh, you're absolutely right. Of course the best form of action would be to have detailed the bugs as I found them on my playthough rather than just moaning on a forum. Perhaps my only excuse is that I was enjoying the playthough too much to do that huh? :)

So, the issue here is that I have 20 pages of journal enteries and I'm going to be hard pressed to tell you which ones I have completed and which ones I've not yet on the re-play through. This is my issue as a player.
    I know I've already retreved the reagents in order to learn the last skills (from adv. skilltrainers) in all skill trees as I have them in my book, so perhaps the ones such as the fire feather will disapear if I do the quests a second time. Ones like that can be discounted.
    However, you know that I've completed all three virtue storylines and the final avatar questline to gain my shroad for the second time, so any in my current tasks list that remain should have been removed or at least moved to my knowlege section of the journal. There are many of these and I'll try and post them below. **NOTE** If the images dont display, its because the free image hosting server I'ved used has decided I've used up all their free bandwidth through posting on a forum and having many people load them. Let me know if this is the case and I'll email them over or somthing. Not sure if you can just look at my char on your servers instead?

As for the blue marked NPCs on the map. Its hard to say without running around the world map and seeing them as they pop up. I know they include some storyline ones such as:
    * Boarding a boat for Xenos? Or 'Travel to Etceter'
    * Meeting the first NPC at blood river outskirts
    * Speak to captain Burnes
    * Arabella
    I'll try and list some as I see them. Most are in-scene rather than world map.

Journal pages below. Ignore the first 10 Tags, cant remove them in edit:

[IMG]https://pasteboard.co/HawFETB.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not sure if this is going to help or not.....

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Attenwood and Anendrue like this.
  10. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This is actually what Starr is referring to that we're going to implement next release - a sanity check for each step of the main quest along with which tasks would be completed at that point, which would run automatically whenever certain characters (town criers, the Oracle, etc) are spoken with.

11. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Ah, good to hear. I was actually just thinking my previous suggestion might actually NOT be good idea, and possibly a HORRIBLE idea because if a person just goes through and plays linearly, doing things in the order in which they were envisioned, they might not get a lot of those bugs and end up wasting time and resources.

Thanks @Lum the Mad

12. amriteshvara

amriteshvara Avatar

I returned to this game after a while and found that so many quests today don't work properly. I can't accomplish them or they hang in my journal after I finished them. And there are some more very irritating functions in the game like strange repeating sounds, uncomfortable to use doors, but most irritating are quests when I can't find something hours... and forum can't help.
    There are a lot of good sides of this game but I find myself fighting between interest and irritation... Probably I'll gave up this game again, unfortunately...

Polaris Penguin likes this.
  13. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

May it helps to disable to start quests in the middle.

14. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

*Edit
    Removed my post as the post I was replying to has been removed.

(Side Note)
    This thread moved from General Discussion to the bug forum by developer decision.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  15. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

*Edit
    Removed my post as the post I was replying to has been removed.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

One example of broken quest pops to mind when I did the Grannus quests. There is a point where you get offered a choice between helping one of the two brothers, I never delivered the warrant because I didn't trust the drunken heir and his sister, but rather chose to risk my life in meeting with the kobold king in hopes to restore peace.

I acted upon the information that was provided to me... and yet when I joined the throne room at the end of the quest I felt like all my choices were ignored, the backup heir guy knew about the warrant even if I kept that information from him... and when I tried to prevent Grannus's daughter from being killed I was FORCED to step away and watch the murder.

I've felt completely insulted by the way this is handled... it feels like I'm some witness to the story and not part of it.

17. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Lack of agency is a pretty prevalent problem THROUGHOUT the mainline quests. I complained about (essentially) the same thing in Artifice about a year ago (I can't find the post now, FFS WTH is wrong with the search function in the forum!?). From what I can tell, nothing has changed (despite my feedback being vary specific about where I wanted to be given more agency).

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.