1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

R51 Postmortem Missed Questions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Here are the questions that we did not have time to get to during the R51 Postmortem (which is also now on youtube). I tried my best to answer these (with help from the rest of the team) but some we just don't have details yet to provide. I probably won't have time to do any follow ups to these. The community did a great job assisting us this telethon to make sure we didn’t miss a single question.

Please note I deleted a bunch of duplicated questions and also deleted any questions that we answered with the Q1 post or with the release of R51 or that we answered in previous postmortems. Also note that we are generally going to stop answering questions about "when?" as those are answered by our quarterly schedule posts and any other answers are going to be either "No ETA" or "soon" or "will update with the next quarterly post".

A final thought: we see a LOT of repeat questions and requests. Please consider reading one of the other missed question posts, watching one of the previous post mortems, reading one of the post mortem transcripts, and/or reading our Post Episode 1 plan post before posting a question. Your question might have already been answered.

Obsidian Tempest: Any plans to add new POT Deco and buildings to the add-on store?
    STARR: Yes eventually but priority for at least now is on items that can be placed on both players lots AND POTs.

Duke Gréagóir: OFFLINE mode: Can we please claim our rewards on multiple different saved game files?
    STARR: Multiple character slots are coming in R52 and they will share bank accounts and they can share property ownership so we do not see the need to prioritize this.

Culann: Will the flying dragon, as seen in the original Kickstarter promo vid, make it into the game for Episode 1 or ever? Please tell me it hasn’t been forgotten!
    STARR: This evolved into the stepped encounter that you trigger through the stags so unlikely that this will be coming back

Rada Torment: Any chance to see “droppable items” (like bags) feature for this year? dropped items for a limited time (like a few hours) would give so many great possibilities to the game.
    STARR: This is still in our post launch plans.

Earl Atogrim von Draken: When will the shipping of the items start and where will you ship first?
    STARR: Shipping of physical items should happen shortly after launch but we don’t have an exact ETA because of chinese new year. We plan to ship worldwide simultaneously, not in any particular order. Shipment times will vary though based on things like distance from manufacture, customs, etc.

Browncoat Jayson: When shipping physical goods, how will the boxes be packaged?
    STARR: We will do our very best to make sure they are packaged in a way to prevent any damage.

Echondas: Since the R50 damage smoothing, stacking glyphs and attacks from behind are no longer quite as useful, since they seem to be smoothed/normalized by this – perhaps there can be some adjustment? Same for the Escape skill.
    CHRIS:I think this is an illusion because people look for max hits vs average DPS. The max hits were reduced but min hits were increased so DPS should still be roughly the same. I’ve had a few people confirm that the DPS was unchanged but I’ll take a look at the global logs and examine a bigger dataset to try and verify that belief.

Kpopgurl: Kor pointed out that high crit rate becomes less effective the higher it is. Can we change that a little so leather armor becomes more viable to use?
    CHRIS:I will be changing the math on this for R52 because Kor won’t leave me alone until I do...

Paulie Walnuts: Are there still plans to upgrade the Daemon and add Control Daemon in the Chaos tree to help make the it more worthwhile?
    CHRIS: We still want to make this happen but likely won’t happen for launch as our focus for our AI engineer right now is bug fixing and improving existing behaviors.

Rhiannon: Last year, I noticed that our avatar’s heads would track the movement of the mouse. And example would be if I used my mouse to point my camera up into the sky, my avatar’s head would look up into the sky. I loved this feature. A few months ago, I noticed this isn’t happening any more. Are there plans to add that back in?
    CHRIS:Hrm! First I’ve heard about it no longer working! I just confirmed this broke and needs to be fixed. Making a Jira for it now and we’ll get it fixed for Launch!

MindBlast: Any plans to add grid view for inventory? It would be a nice compliment to list view.
    STARR: For the same reason we decided to eliminate bag view it is unlikely that we would add a grid view. Maintaining two separate interfaces that talk to the same back end represents more than twice the amount of work so we no longer believe that is a proper use of our resources.

Dereck Visaard: Can we please use alphanumeric characters to name player vendors and containers?
    STARR: We can consider

Pleasedrivefast: Quantifying your performance improvements, how much further away from your goal do you feel and is that achievable before launch?
    STARR: We are very, very close and we have identified the last few blockers that we hope to have solved in R52.
    CHRIS: We’re getting closer to a good starting point and hope to have some more of the critical issues fixed for R52. There will still be tons of room for improvement though, starting with moving to Unity 2018.1 which adds a technology called IL2CPP. This effectively compiles c# code into CPP code and then builds it natively per platform. There will also still be plenty of room for improvements in high player count scenarios due to us not having LODs for most character content. In other words, just like most releases over the past 6 months, it will be better but still room for improvement!

VectorGammar: Can the now somewhat wimpy sounding wolves be made to howl like a big bad wolf? They currently sound like puppies with asthma instead of attacking wolves, lol.
    STARR: We will consider

Kain Darkmoor: Are there any plans or details on the physics system in SOTA being expanded upon?
    STARR: We can consider some improvements but networking the physics system in a game like ours with so many interactive objects has a significant impact on performance and it is very difficult, if not impossible, to keep all of those players and objects in synch when everyone is playing together worldwide on a single server.
    CHRIS: Object physics on a multiplayer online server based game is very expensive unless it is just used for client side fluff. So rag doll physics are generally fine because it is really just a visual difference that doesn’t matter if it matches up exactly. But even something as innocuous as ragdoll can go horribly wrong on how it represents itself differently on different clients. For example, imagine a player dying near a ledge, on one client it might appear that he fell off and on the other it might appear he died and stayed up on the ledge. The real problem comes down to physics can be made to be deterministic in its behavior BUT only if all sources agree on the exact same starting data. On client server stuff, what the clients know is always an approximation to help compensate for lag, frame rate differences, dead reckoning, and other factors. While this isn’t impossible and could be done server side, that is a LOT of work for a small amount of payoff generally.

Aberwine: The current NPC/ Guard SFX really needs some love.
    STARR: Yes we plan on revising these.

Rowell: Is there any way, or are there plans, to more easily map the archaic item Archetypes that are visible in the item related API calls?
    CHRIS:We should be able to use the actual name for things but it might be harder than it appears on the surface. This data come from the server and the server doesn’t know a lot of player facing stuff like the friendly names for things. It know stuff by the archetype name and the client translates that to a certain name based on localized strings. I’ll take another look and see if there is some easy way to convert this or at least expose a conversion spreadsheet to you guys.

Rowell: Are there plans to add an event type in the API to make player listing items on a Vendor (like a commission free vendor, or a public vendor) visible/query-able?
    CHRIS: I actually didn’t know this was already exposed! Feels like it will result in lots more sales which I’m all for. I’ll talk to Undone about adding this one.

Xee: Seeing some pets have dance, can Mimic Pet have ability for Scare?
    STARR: Great idea!

Carl321: Can Recipes be stacked like a Pattern, food, bedroll, etc.?
    STARR: We currently do not have tech that allows for interactive items to stack and since you double click a recipe to learn it this currently blocks them from stacking. Eventually we want to fix this.

Dereck Visaard: Can we please have an artifact that buffs enchanting like all the masterwork skills have?

OrionSnake: Since we have clocks in game, any plans to add a portable device to tell time like a pocket watch..err..i mean a kobold chronometer?
    STARR: Cool idea!

Hunter Wolfbane: The virtue gear we get from the quest lines... since we are able to do them only once, can we get them with salvageable eternal patterns?

Gairloch: When will a slot appear for my pipe…you guys put smoking in the game but I should have to disarm to do it…I should be able to fight and slaughter at will with me pipe in me teeth… Arrrr!!!!
    STARR: Very unlikely

Aberwine: Any chance a non-magic healing type (i.e. Bandages) will make it in before launch?
    STARR: Eventually but definitely not for launch.

Browncoat Jayson: Would you consider the ability to rework an item to replace materials, rather than making players go through the entire item creation/masterwork/enchanting process every time a new component is found
    STARR: Perhaps eventually but the cost would have to be large to balance against “forever” items.

Raven Swiftbow: Many in our guild have noticed a *significant* drop in the amount of beetle carapace we get when we are out in the wild. Instead, we seem to be getting a lot more Black Cutworm. Is this intentional? This is a huge issue for crafters.
    STARR: Hmm. We have not changed anything related to the spawn rates of this particular item.

Dartan Obscuro: Can we see the percent chance to salvage a non-eternal pattern? New players may not even be aware that this is possible.
    BCOTTON: Patterns are generally a middle to late game concept. You must level your salvage skill to get better chances at salvaging patterns. Initial levels of salvage have no chance at dropping patterns by design.

Kron Caledon: The Bone Armor recipe currently only uses cotton thread. Can you adjust that to accept any type of thread (carapacian, fustian, etc.) – to allow more combinations for crafting?
    BRANDON:Thread is a refined material and not a component therefore it does not add properties to the final crafted item. Allowing players to use any type of thread would allow you to use a more expensive material for the exact same result thus it is restricted to the cheapest refined material. Because each of our recipes are required to be a unique combination some recipes require refined material that is treated like fuel.

Dereck Visaard: Can masterwork and enchant please get a pass to incorporate specialization? I know Atos would have fun with it :).
    STARR: Yes we intend to add specializations to crafting

Rada Torment: Any plans to fix the carpentry masterworking skill trees? bludgeons has 4 type of weapons (staffs, wands, hammers and axes), while others only two. A new tree for wands/staffs is needed for the economy/crafting balance.
    STARR: This would be incredibly disruptive to players who have invested heavily in these crafting trees. Also it is a common misconception that balance requires symmetry.
    BCOTTON: There is no combat tree for wands/staff therefore there is no masterwork tree. These are tightly linked as masterwork modifiers are tied to a specific combat tree. In the case of staff/wand we have designed these be a mage weapon with specific masterwork modifiers that are focused on supporting this play style. If we find the need to add a staff that is focused on combat then it would use one of the existing combat trees and masterwork, likely bludgeon.

Kpopgurl: Could we get more masterworks for leather armor that increase crit chance, rate etc. for Archers or physical dmg dealers in general?
    STARR: We definitely have plans to add more masterwork and enchant effects.

Warrior B’Patrick: I would like to suggest a single row 2, 5, and 10 spot planting beds. I would use this for lot borders and plant roses or trees around my lot for decoration or privacy. I could use planting pot or barrels but a nice lined row starting at ground level would look better.
    STARR: Good suggestion.

Cypher Black: Will POT owners be able to place pets in the streets of their towns (and forested areas)?
    STARR: Yes

Xee: Could POT owners be given the ability to move the transports (teleport) boats around? Would be nice to be able to pick which docks to have them at and or places.

Xee: For Town NPC’s some currently will go sit at benches, can we have NPC’s run around at night and day turning on/off street lights?

That_Shawn_Guy: We don’t have many “rustic” style large houses, simple halls (large single room), or large craftable houses. Can we get some please?
    STARR: Yes we are going to be expanding the number of craftable houses soon. In R52 in fact we are adding a craftable inn.

Paulie Walnuts: Any chance we could have a POT upgrade option to have our nested pots listed on menu the lot it’s nested in so we can go right to it?
    STARR: Unlikely as this would basically make them identical to POTs with overworld access.

Paulie Walnuts: Down the road could we get a couple campsite lighting options? Like a bonfire with wood stacked on it, and a spit or cauldron over a fire?

Obsidian Tempest: Could you allow Governors the ability to rename the docks locations on the sign?

Obsidian Tempest: Can we get an increase in the number of NPC buildings in POTs?
    STARR: Perhaps when performance improves

Kron Caledon: Can you please show a “Taxes Past Due” indicator, similar to the “Damaged Armor”, “Damaged Weapon”, “Damaged Tool”, “Low Ammo” icons. That way hopefully people will pay their property taxes before losing their lot.

Barugon: Can you please make it so that the house and decorations from a water keep or water castle lot that uses the optional land can be moved using the Property Manager to a non water lot? Keep in mind that the house is already a non-water home.
    STARR: Yes, this task is already in the backlog

Barugon: Can you please make it so that vendors charge their commission when the items are sold?
    STARR: We don’t want to make this change because then players could just use vendors for free storage.

Pleasedrivefast: With recent performance improvements, will you classify pets as non-NPCs so you can place them on a property and not count towards the NPC lot limit?
    STARR: They are NPCs. They pathfind, animate, etc. so they cost as much performance wise as any other NPC.

DJ Alleine: it would be nice to place one of these lovely copper pots on the stove :). May we please deco the crafting stations, within reason?
    STARR: Any decorations placed on them will interfere with the animations that occur when you craft

Early Atogrim: When will Esteben finally be allowed to update the Brit Fields map?
    STARR: Brittany Fields is not a cloned scene so we are not currently planning on any major revisions to the map and in fact Esteben was the original creator of the map so I am not sure what you are referring to here. We are going to be updating the NPCs in the scene in a future release but those are the only planned updates currently.

Curt: How many towns will get catacombs/sewers?
    STARR: We don’t have exact plans for anymore underground areas currently but we may add them as we come up with good reasons for them.

Sakarisei: Could we get an obsidian version of the Two Handed weapons and/or the chain mail armor?
    STARR: We do have future plans to add more Obsidian weapon types

Tiina Onir: Can you add a feature allowing us to link to a specific location on the web map view? I’d love to be able to pass something like “x=21.4, y=53.1, z=-1.32” and have it load up the map with a marker, and maybe let me pass in a name.
    STARR: We will consider as we iterate on the map system

Kara Brae: You removed the beautiful large trees with the hanging pods from Aerie. The town is far less beautiful without them. There is one particular spot that desperately needs its tree back. Can this corner have its tree back, please?
    STARR: One of the issues causing performance was too many different art assets used in a scene, particularly if they were used only a few times. In the case of Aerie it is a very large scene with a lot of decorations, NPCs, and player homes. It also had too many varieties of trees. Additionally Aerie did not represent the Path of Truth well enough so as part of the optimization pass in Release 44 we added much more ties to truth including symbols, color, etc. but those additions had to come at the cost of something else.

Sean Silverfoot: What are the top 3 POT template choices in use?
    CHRIS: Here are the top 3 instance names with number of cities using them along with a few example towns that use them:
    • Forest 01: 41 (Paxlair, Liberty, Ardonair)
    • Island 01: 37 (Storms End, Owl's Rest, Dara Brae)
    • Mountain 01: 34 (Hatter's Estates, Lux Sanctuary, S Mart Factorium)
    Sean Silverfoot: Who are the top 10 avatars to lead in visiting town criers for the $100
    CHRIS: Sadly I don’t have a good way to get at this data for the life of the project! Maybe Lum can chime in with this data at some point. A quick search of recent data shows there are some people who spend entirely too much time on this!

Sean Silverfoot: Can’t we get a Bass Mimic that only attacks @Winfield?
    STARR: Ha! Great idea!

Majoria: Can you please make the link a clickable link in the book just added to the game called ‘Places to Live’ that takes players to the source or even better they see the information in game?
    STARR: Yes eventually

Brookstorm: Will it ever be possible to share our skill trees? Either an option to turn on/off view skill tree or perhaps a way to link it in chat?

Brookstorm: Linking items in chat… ever going to be possible?

Brookstorm: How about being able to select teleport to a person in the friends list as opposed to finding the scroll in backpack, clicking on it and then choosing a person.

Draugur: The skill Opportunity Strike in the subterfuge tree, can Chris look at this skill again? In order for it to do any amount of decent damage you have to use it right after you dodge an attack. The animation for it is to slow, animation like trip instead of something like offhand attack, and the cool down to use other skills is way to severe.
    CHRIS:I need to take a pass at several of the response skills including Opportunity Strike. I’ll try to get to it soon if not by launch.

Draugur: I understand the fauns are subservient to saytr’s but ever since you updated their models (so they could sit, drink ect) they lost their clothes! Who is the person in office that likes seeing them naked?
    STARR: I’m having the team look at what happened here.

Draugur: Honest question looking for an honest answer for the community. What do you feel is the biggest challenge coming up to launch and what might you for see being the biggest challenge immediately post launch?
    STARR: Performance and public perception.

Ponorapon: what explains the increase in meteorites and what are my chances of being killed by one? (what an honor that would be!)
    STARR: It might have something to do with that big object in the sky that’s been getting bigger...

Jaan: With Launch just a few short weeks away, can all of the lead developers of this project- Lord British, Darkstarr, Lum, and Chris- look us backers, players, and fans, in the eye and say: We truly feel in our heart of hearts that Shroud of the Avatar is ready to move into a post-release state.
    LORD BRITISH: YES!
    STARR: Yes we believe the project has been in Early Access long enough, we have enough of the features we promised complete, the game performs well enough, the game is stable enough, and the game is fun enough. But of course we are going to keep adding and improving every single month!
    CHRIS:Yes BUT that doesn’t mean we won’t keep improving it post launch! With the story complete and the stickiness of new players at an all time high, we felt we had to draw a line in the sand and say, “We are no longer in Beta and are now Live!” There are absolutely more things we can do to improve the game but that will still be true 5 years from now and we don’t want to hide under the label of “BETA” for the life of the project. Launch means we’re welcoming new players to come judge us as fun or not fun and we’re confident they will like it.

Yordic Meyers: Can we get jumping spiders with little water droplet hats for pets?
    STARR: Ha! No.

Lockey Abernathy: Would it be possible to eventually craft a hanging Skeleton much like the ones of old that one would see in Biology Classes and Doctor's office?
    STARR: We already have decorations very much like this.

Lockey Abernathy: We have a LB Birthday Cake. What about a Darkstarr Birthday Cake!
    STARR: Chaos needs no cake!

Lockey Abernathy: Will we ever see an in game equivalent to an LRC suit?
    STARR: Do you mean a “lower reagent cost” suit? We have lots of already existing mechanics for this that basically allow you to build something like this already.

Kron Caledon: Does Piercing Shot only ignore worn armor on humanoids? (players or mobs) Or does it ignore armor on creature mobs as well?
    CHRIS:It should ignore Damage Resistance on all targets in PVE or PVP!

Kron Caledon: Can you consider changing the default sort on Vendors back to alphabetical? (from sort by most recent list date)

Kron Caledon: Replenishing Potion of Guidance Box - can you clarify whether it's "12 potions once per year" (per the Release Instructions), or "1 potion per month" (what actually seems to be happening in game)
    STARR: 1 per month, 12 total per year.

Kron Caledon: Will we be able to buy bundles for COTOs in-game eventually at the COTO vendors?
    STARR: Yes eventually

Vesper: have you, or would you consider adding a bounty profession / mechanics to the game (similar to SWG) which would add some sense of purpose to PvP

Ancev: It would be nice if you could right click and select 'repair' on a weapon, piece of armor or tool and it would consume the appropriate repair kit if there is one in your inventory?

Ancev: any thoughts on having the devotionals ignore a player if they already have 2 devotional buffs on? only the current buffs would be reapplied if walking near a devotional but other devotionals would do nothing unless the player dismisses one of their buffs?
    STARR: Perhaps

Ancev: Any thoughts on making elements of the Skills (K) window collapsible so it's not so huge?

Ancev: How about if all of the accrued loot acquired in a PvP zone is put at risk by being put into a 'PvP supply bag' ... maybe like hourly, if you're there for 2 hours you'd have 2 supply bags at risk...? the time at which you loot the items determines which bag the items end up in.. (these pvp supply bags are invisible to the player) but show up in the ransom window if they are drawn through the ransom system and can't be paid for.
    STARR: We have wanted to do something like this for a very long time and at the same time up the amount of resources in PVP areas but also link the amount of resources to the number of players in a scene.
    CHRIS: Absolutely love this idea and it is something we’ve talked about a few times both publicly and behind closed doors. Basically, loot obtained in a PVP scene would basically go into a sort of escrow system until some goal has been achieved. I could even see some PVP scenes where there are some very rare but powerful resources/items/bundles that would drop and announce to the scene who got them to make them a target. Only way to get to keep the item is to get out of the scene. If you die, it passes to the killer. Lots of fun options and many of them will be acted on post launch.

Cryodacry: Can traps be made more deadly with more important NPC's or Chests set behind these traps that cannot be blinked through. Adding a component like dis-able trap like Dungeons and Dragons Online ?
    STARR: Yes!

Cryodacry: What is going to happen with store credit since the addon store is going away?
    STARR: Store Credit is not going away just yet but it may get phased out eventually.

Wandering healer: are the heavens relevant to crafting, or am i a conspiracy theorist?
    STARR: We have some preliminary hooks to allow this to happen but we haven’t started implementing this fully yet. Our long term plans are to make this a much bigger part of high end crafting.

Wandering healer: why do all the magic specializations not affect damage, but all the weapon specializations add damage in some way or another?
    CHRIS:Currently melee and ranged are significantly lower DPS than most of the magic trees. According to some, they are roughly half the DPS. The last thing I wanted to do was just make magic specialization all about increased damage and widening that gap so instead I went with changes that made them have more features, cost less, cast faster, and other non-DPS elements.

Devourerofmemes: Love fireball and recent specialization changes for it, however the skill is very hard to use in PvP because of the cast speed and travel time. Have you given any thought to speeding up how fast it travels so it would be easier to hit moving characters?
    CHRIS: Its slow speed is part of how I can justify the high overall DPS compared to other spells. It is definitely requires a lot of skill to use in PVP and a lot of skill to avoid it in PVP but that is part of why I like it! PVP should be about actual player skill and less about numbers!

Devourerofmemes: Do you have any plans to change how resistance increases with magic tree attunement, atm it feels like you're forced to level all magic trees purely to increase your resists?
    CHRIS:Currently your effective resistance is half your attunement plus your resistance. I have toyed with and written in my blog about the idea of making your resistance the higher of your attunement or resistance BUT before I can consider that, I need to add some way to build some resistance up.

Mystic: When will we see some Atos gear in game? I am a follower of balance and need to flaunt.
    STARR: Maybe for Atos birthday?

Gothmar: Are we ever going to be able to craft crafting stations as players, like was promised AGES ago?
    STARR: Perhaps

Jarikith: With the change in the primary stat (Air's Embrace, etc,) buffs being only one at a time now, has there been any consideration given into making them back to being overall more effective when stacked, rather than just cheaper focus to cast?
    CHRIS:Yah, I plan on doing this for launch partially because it also feels even more special then to have a specialization and a 6th rune to charge/stack.

Majoria70: Regarding Proficiencies, I am happy that we have them but I am really interested why does not your proficiency affect the whole tree instead of single skills? It does not make sense that you are not fully proficient in your tree.
    CHRIS:While I could have just made it so specializations just gave some flat bonus to everything, that didn’t feel as compelling or interesting to me. I’m also against just adding more and more damage to everything as that amplifies the belief that you must grind to be competitive. It was more work but I think adding unique bonuses to most skills was the more interesting option for players.

Albus: Any plans and progress on making character face customization more powerful? Now hair styles are too few, and facial sliders are too weak (such as eyes not slanting enough).
    STARR: yes eventually

Lord Merlin: Is the max XP for crafting per operation the same as it is for adventurer XP
    CHRIS:Yes, same math is used on both side BUT how much is applied per use can be set per skill. Right now I think all crafting using a 1x modifier but we should probably evaluate that.

Schneider DragonFang: Will we ever see blood splatter become deco items for players to purchase form the add-on store and also gain from in game adventuring?
    STARR: Yes!

Kara Brae: Currently you can use COTOS to add tax credit in the Lot Deed interface and each COTO gives you 3,500 g credit. Now that COTOS are more expensive and the market price for COTOS is surpassing 4,000 g will you be adjusting the value of COTOS for the purpose of paying lot taxes?
    CHRIS: Probably not but I won’t say never. This is actually working how we want it and players who choose to use COTOs to pay rent can now either use the simple option and just pay with COTOs or they can sell the COTOs to other players and pocket a bit of extra gold. Up to players and the free markets!

Duke Violation Clauth: Can we expect some special twists for specializations and skills doing something unique in PvP (specifically only against players)?
    CHRIS: For Chaos, absolutely! Others will likely receive more love but less focus on PVP aspects.

Widsith [MGT]: Could we get some add-on patterns that work for two handed bludgeons? Axe wielders need some love.
    STARR: I have been focusing most of the new patterns on in-game items versus store items lately but I plan to put some add on store patterns back up soon.

Robyn Hood: Any upcoming love for crafters? There were rumors of changes to how breakage during masterworking and enchanting would work......inquiring minds want to know
    STARR: Post launch we are going to do some changes here but no detailed plans just yet, only some very rough ideas.

Merv DeGriff: Also, Quarterstaves as a dedicated melee weapon. Craftable (2 handles, 2 straps) so there is one metal free melee weapon recipe?
    STARR: Will consider

Cryodacry: When is Meticulous harvesting going to get a rework? Currently it is not worth using as you get more materials and experience by jumping out of the harvest.
    BRANDON: The issue is known and in the backlog. The implementation diverged from the original design resulting in this issue.

Benjamin Hroth: On the Overland Map there are now some awesome summaries for each scene. Can you give details on how many nodes make a description "white" versus "grey"? (e.g. if Cotton Plant is white, Pine Tree is grey)
    BRANDON: The threshold for grey to white is six. Six or less is grey, greater is white. Also they are listed in order of appearance count.

Benjamin Hroth: Will you make Black Cutworm and Aortic Thrombus a crafting ingredient sometime in the next three releases?
    BRANDON:These were ingredients in a removed recipe. This will be fixed to make sure an active recipe uses them.

Nikko: Will Ranged Specialization get a bump? Multi shot is still so lack-luster!
    CHRIS: Gets a bump for R52! Details in my daily work blog.

EclipseMaiden: Can you ask Darkstarr if we can get a pink DJ station for breast cancer awareness?
    STARR: Great idea!

Liz_the_wiz: will the maps be updated before release, and will POTs that have been bought in the last year get in?
    STARR: Map work is temporarily on pause while we get Heraldry up and running.

ChristPallid: Is that darkstar morningstar going to have the ball and flame along with the arrows?
    STARR: Just the arrows.

Tedio: Could we please be allowed to put a pattern on the Shroud of the avatar cloak? And could we please get eternal patterns from viking cloak, skull cloak etc?
    STARR: Cloaks do not use the pattern system because cloaks do not use the component, enchantment, masterwork system.

Calan Caitin: Can the Jabbering Bertha be made to use as deco?
    STARR: Unfortunately because it is a wearable AI it is not easy to also make it a deco but eventually

JoObY: (For Darkstarr) Looking back from 10 years ago did you see yourself being where you are currently (meet or exceeded your expectations)?
    STARR: I could only hope I would be doing something like this! I have only ever wanted to make immersive social experiences ever since I started making games 25 years ago. This project has exceeded even my previous experiences because the community has gotten to participate even more closely in the creation of the project than ever before.

2. oplek

oplek Avatar

I'd like to veto the Chaos Cake decision.

Applerust likes this.
  3. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Maybe Chaos likes CHEESECAKE instead?

Jaesun and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  4. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Pocket watches are an interesting idea! There's hope for NPC's understanding "time" yet lol

5. devourerofmemes

devourerofmemes Avatar

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions, it's appreciated <3

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  6. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Chaos pie, confirmed.

Daxxe Diggler likes this.
  7. Dartan Obscuro

Dartan Obscuro Avatar

Thanks for answering. It helps to know (though I suspected) that salvage skill does impact the chance. It would be nice if it showed the percent so I could know if it's worth leveling to increase it. Or even if it's worth salvaging to try to obtain a pattern versus just selling the item to a blacksmith.

My new player comment was more about how this feature is exposed. New players might think the only way to obtain a pattern is to buy one. It would be nice if on the object it said "Salvaging may yield a pattern" similar to how eternal patterns are indicated. I kind of assume that any weapon with a specific name can yield one but there's no way to know.

Tiina Onir and Kara Brae like this.
  8. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

see darkstarr's previous response

Dartan Obscuro likes this.
  9. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Indeed!

/fish /catch /reel "You've Caught a Bass Mimic! Oh, you are Winfield!" /parry /flee /OooOOOo

10. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I still disagree with adding something like this, it makes people shop the API and send alerts for mis-priced things to those who can manipulate/plug-in to the API. (If what this is discussing is real-time data for all the vendors in Novia). I can understand showing historic data for vendors but I don't like the idea of it being real-time. @Chris

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Saosis, Kain Darkmoor, Elnoth and 4 others like this.
  11. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

SotA was in BETA phase?
    I think you guys skipped that step and moved directly to "launch ready", i don't want to use the word "gold".
    Alpha naild it pretty much.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  12. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Just curious, how does a holiday that occured in February in China affect shipping rewards for a US game that launches in March?

13. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

14. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

All manufacturers in China were closed during February and they supply several of the key components like the map.

15. HannahAlpenglow

HannahAlpenglow Avatar

Seconded. Real-time vendor information makes vendors a spreadsheet and arbitrage game; I know that it is currently difficult to find and shop for goods, but I would propose finding an in-game and less comprehensive method to highlighting vendor goods than letting someone tap into a global data source to mine with ruthless efficiency.

Saosis and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  16. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

[​IMG]

17. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

fair enough.

18. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

does what Chris said means... players can just browse a listing of in-game vendors on a website?

19. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

I'm not looking for real time vendor data. I don't mind if it 24 hour, 48 hour or even 96 hour delayed. I'm merely looking for the prices to calculate the lows, highs and averages...to take a pulse of the economy. It also allows me to tie in the pricing data to the recipes, so if someone has to buy raw materials to make a sword or a bunk bed, they can see the average price of Maple Wood or Iron Ore, and see a calculated "This is potentially what you'll have to spend to make your item" using low/high/median prices.

I agree with you, real time doesn't work so well because it detracts from the game. I wouldn't mind time-delayed.

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I don't think that this is a reasonable excuse. If someone would prefer to use their vendor for storage rather than sales, so what?! What horrible effect is that going to have on the game? How many NPCs do people get on their lot vs how many containers? Also, as it is, people with non-commission-free vendors are very unlikely to reshape them due to the loss of their commission. Please reconsider this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.