1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Lot Deeds: Never Oversold

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Recently I fielded some questions about Lot Deeds that were centered around concern that a person might purchase a Lot Deed from the Add On Store or receive it as a backer reward but not be able to find a lot to claim. Let me assure everyone that we will never sell more Lot Deeds outside of the game than there are lots in the game. On top of that we will make sure there is a significant number of lots available for in game purchase at launch.

2. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

This is a great clarification. Thanks.

*makes a note for the FAQs*

3. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Thanks, Starr. Of this I had no doubts.

skinned, Miracle Dragon and Mishri like this.
  4. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Thank you, Starr! I'm sure you just made a lot of nervous backers very happy :D

Cassandra Corax and Jambo like this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think there's a lot of anxiety over having no clue exactly how many lots will actually be available in-game.. and honestly I don't think we should know at this point.. but what people should bare in mind is that the devs do know or at least have a pretty good estimate of how much land will be available. Just because it's "limited" doesn't mean it's not a lot and more towns can be opened if need be.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  6. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I didnt had doubts, too :)

7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Thank you for the clarification Starr. I knew you guys would not screw anyone over by selling lots that could not be placed. You guys make Portalarium a very trustworthy company who cares about their backers.

Miracle Dragon and NirAntae like this.
  8. Gaumarol

Gaumarol Avatar

Thats very good!!!

Mata likes this.
  9. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Thanks for the reassurance. Are you able to disclose how many total lots you expect to have, if not in an absolute figure, at least in an estimate?

10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Does it matter?

I really hope no more is said about the number of lots. It won't matter how many they say, there will be plenty of people who will still complain.

Turquois and Sawtooth like this.
  11. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

It doesn't matter in any significant way, no. I only ask casually out of curiosity. Why would you prefer that nothing else is said about the number of plots? Also, what is the relevance in pointing out that some will complain about the number of plots (I ask because it sounds kind of like you're implying that I'm complaining)?

12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I'm not implying anything.

I just know that some people will complain.

13. D__

D__ Avatar

Maybe I'm being either overly paranoid or overly pedantic; but I don't believe that this says exactly what it at first seems to say, and I would like the statement to be the simpler yet less interpretable statement of "There will always be more lots in game than the total number of sold lots - either from the add-on store or backer pledged or in-game combined."
    As the statement stands now, the following is possible (numbers used are for illustrative example only):
    1000 in-game lots -> OK
    900 lots purchased via add-on store or pledged -> OK (fulfils the "never sell more Lot Deeds outside of the game than there are lots in the game" part)
    200 lots to be purchased in-game - OK (fulfils the "significant number of lots available for in game purchase at launch")
    But, as can be seen 900+200=1100 > 1000 (which means that it's theoretically possible to have 100 deeds not have a lot in-game and still fulfil the validity of DarkStarr's reassurance statement).

BillRoy likes this.
  14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Overly paranoid and pedantic I think.

I think it's very clear what has been stated.

15. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

That's quite the assuming stretch. I think Starr just nailed it.

16. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Thanks Starr for the words of clarification.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Since lots will never be oversold (which is great!) I think it would be a good idea to think about what you guys plan to do with empty lots. I don't believe that having a bunch of empty lots with for sale signs is good for the game. So instead, perhaps you may want to create "abandoned" buildings or other place holders that will keep the world of SotA from looking like a single player game in unpopular areas. Maybe introduce new dungeon entrances this way?

I know it may not seem like a problem now, but I can imagine a time where all the lots are sold but not all the lots are used. Think about it, some players that own lots will leave the game for various reasons. So what happens to those empty lots if you can't sell more in the game or in the add on store? The lots will become blight.

18. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Don't be silly. He can't combine in-game purchases to the previous two in that sentence, because there is potential that the last of the open lots will be purchased in-game, and then there will be no more available until more lots are added. That's the only reason why the two sentences are separated.

Simply stated: There will be more lots in game than the total number of deeds that are purchasable in-store and owned by pledgers. And there will never be more total deeds than there are plots in the game.

Abydos and E n v y like this.
  19. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Still plenty of plots for sale for the 'buy now' option.

20. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I am sorry but the first thing that popped into my head when I read this is Detroit. 1/3 of the city is occupied and 2/3 is abandoned? (Or are the ratios the other way around).

Either way it looks uninviting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.