Roleplayer hate origins ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StrangerDiamond, Mar 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Hmm, interesting, so if we are all from the mordern world, surely we would group together and should have some chemists and engineers in our midst to attempt things like fire arms, bombs, grenades, cannon, irrigation systems, ect...

[​IMG]

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

That is one of my favorite humor/roleplaying line of thought ! :D

Joking about stuff we should know because of the game lore never gets old :)

No irrigation for you ! You can have a remote ATM but you have to carry around buckets of water to water your plants, everyday :p

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Ahuaeynjgkxs

Btw, I see saying "hail!" as just using the language of the realm, not specifcally play acting. ;)

(Its a When in Rome thing. Like if you were in Rome, you might say "buongiorno!")

4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

haha yup... I like to say Hey yall to the texan devs :D

I play act only when I know someone isn't taking it too seriously, that it will lead to humor, personally that is what makes it interesting to me :)

I would probably be much more serious if the game was more serious... but its not the case so often only my intro is "RP" in the sense I use the language of the realm. And sometimes a little RP intro like : Will you help me, the bandits in "scene" have killed and looted me and I need help in getting it back !

It just gives the option to the player I'm addressing to either roleplay or not, whereas if I start off without the RP and he is a roleplayer he just tunes down and thats self-defeating.

5. ChavaiotH

ChavaiotH Avatar

Can you tell me more details please?
    Why?

6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Well thanks to @redfish post I can tell you that its possibly because there is so much focus on progress and stats and the cold side of RPG that the roleplayers have become meaningless.

Take the extreme example of a lord of the manor... in "theory"... I know it isn't true, but I'm supposed as a knight to be ultra-respectful and in service to this honored/noble citizen.

Yet I can go to his favorite hunting spot, aggro monsters on him, hide, continue until he's intimidated and snaps a bolt.

Then I can tell him, what are you going to do ? The oracle is protecting me, all I'm doing is legal.

So the roleplayer in the end becomes a symbol of futility, and of losing time.

I can understand it in retrospect, but it will always be strange to me that people are so sensitive that they will not even attempt to dig a layer lower and try to know who they are dealing with before passing judgement.

To me its a sign of a very unbalanced long term vision for the game.

ChavaiotH likes this.
  7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

you can be whoever you want and find like minds, you have found some.

but the whole community should not and will not fit each and everyone's needs or ideas.

it is not a game fault or a community fault just the way of the world

EMPstrike and Alley Oop like this.
  8. ChavaiotH

ChavaiotH Avatar

I would add Korean casual f2p grind mmo's :D

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

That is my goal, and what I mean by uncovering the root cause, its in the game systems.

There is no incentive to actually roleplay, anywhere.

I have not found like minds, I have found respectful minds, I am the one driving them now to discover what is interesting about roleplaying. I did not intend to become a mentor but rather share in the interest of the game lore with people.

I'm a bookworm, so the more references we pull out, the more music that fits with the references we can dig out, the more fun we have.

Going on philosophy tangents, telling stories, testing the moral value of those stories while playing, thats where the fun is for me in roleplaying.

Thats what I mean about playing the game as intended... for example the grannus questline, it makes us make moral choices. I think those choices shed a light upon other problems we face, we make parallels, we evolve our style, we slowly immerse in the world, naturally, organically.

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm not going to comment on the long term vision for the game, but my opinion is yes, if you don't design RPGs for role-players, what happens is you marginalize role-playing into cos-play type activities, which few people will do, and the rest of the player base becomes more interested in loot and stats.

Numa and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Makes me nostalgic about RG's first ideas for this game, including the contraband and caravan type systems in which roleplaying through the in game systems would be encouraged. Theres a whole bunch of ideas like this he had that would have made this naturally occurring, without any need to "play it out" and thus would have united roleplayers and powergamers in a common purpose.

12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

The vibe I get from portalarium right now is that its too complicated and generates too much drama, so we went mainstream.

We want to attract mainstream people, yet we make a niche game with less hand holding than games that almost spoonfeed you, and games where mainstream people continuously ask for more spoonfeeding.

Doesn't take a genius to figure this equation right...

We already have a compass with glowing exclamation points... everytime a quest says seek this or that, its glowing on my compass so I'm not even looking at the world, I just run through enemies and follow the compass to complete the quest.

Why do we have this system when we promised not to hold my hand ?

I ran all those quests on automatic pilot, there was no search, no quest.

Symptoms of a larger problem imho.

13. ChavaiotH

ChavaiotH Avatar

Mainstream is a step backward in the evolution ))

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  14. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

this game caters to every type of player except the RPKer.

3devious and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

hahaha, made my day :D

16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

From a broader point of view, the root cause then must be that players have the impression they gain nothing from addressing a roleplayer.

Strangely if you ask me, because RG has repeatedly told us there would be parts of the game that are hidden, quests you can only find when you're really diving in deep.

So every player should see any serious interaction with a roleplayer as one that can lead to those hidden parts of the game, because they take the time to become a living library of game lore.

One goal of our game is also to become the new world Avatar, and replace old obsolete me...

So technically, I'm sure noone thinks this is achievable through powergaming.

But that comes back full circle to the root cause, people do not believe in those goals in the first place.

They are used to games which say they have such goals but it never materializes, I guess.

But I know this is a different animal, and I know RG's fan base, at least a huge portion of it would be interested not only in hidden doors that lead to AWESOME LOOTZ, but also hidden parts of the game that lead to the ultimate ultima RPG.

That is a hard wake up call for the devs I guess...

I think a stitch in time is better than... ? :)(

17. .rhavin

.rhavin Avatar

If that GUI would be more responsive, id be happy to do more RP. Currently I see players looney-tuning thru the scene like Road Runner.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

There's that too hahaha... it becomes a skill of the highest order to roleplay and not look like some nutcase :p

Olthadir likes this.
  19. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I am like Jack Nicholson. All of his characters are Jack Nicholson the President in Mars Attacks, Jack Nicholson the Joker in Batman, Jack Nicholson the record producer in Something's Gotta Give. As @Jack SinAssist would say "We are all Jack."
    Well I have one character but they will all be Caska. I don't really RP all of my characters are some aspect of me. Caska as a tincan with a polearm, then Caska as some sort of evoker... I don't think I could keep track of more than that.

20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I thought we were being John Malkovich ! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.