Roleplayer hate origins ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StrangerDiamond, Mar 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Just for clarification:
    for most ppl out there RPG is a description of the underlying coded game mechanic and not the Pen and Paper view.

Alley Oop likes this.
  2. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

I've been to player-organized RP events like this before, and they are exactly as you describe: boring and meaningless. However, these poorly construed RP events shouldn't set the status quo. These style events that you mention are essentially some narcissist stroking their own ego at the expense of all the "friends" they've made through whatever semblance of power they may believe they have by running an RP organization - trying to force everyone else to cater to their own fantasy.

Au contraire, RP events shouldn't have scripted outcomes. A fun and rewarding RP event would be one where the next arc in the story-line is completely dynamic. The organizers shouldn't plan too far ahead, or at least shouldn't close arcs due to predetermined outcomes.

When I role-played on UO official servers all those years ago, our clan leader would meet with a handful of other RP clan leaders with whom we were at war, and organize a battle unbeknownst to us (of course we all suspected). They'd discuss story-line mechanics and objectives for the campaign. Finally, they'd set the stage, and encourage members to be present at a certain date and time. We'd all arrive, in-character and prepare for battle. There were no rules like "No ganking.", "Don't attack [insert spoiled brat that thinks the world should revolve around them]!", and "Okay, the battle is now over, we lost (even though we have more men standing than the opposition)." The stuff that would be scripted was like "We are going to be fighting shoulder to shoulder with <insert other clan with whom we haven't always seen eye-to-eye> against a common enemy." Setting the table is all that should really be done by the organizers.

So sorry, but if you are an RP organizer, and you are scripting out battles to go a certain way, further demanding your participants to follow YOUR vision, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

After, having a battle as described earlier, the organizers should get together and discuss where the story will flow next. It shouldn't be known in advance. This isn't the fourth grade play ground where you get to stamp your feet and demand all the boys let you be the damsel in distress for the umpteenth time. You get together and assess what went down, and decide how to set the table the next time.

I think I mentioned the Followers of Armageddon story line from UO earlier. I'm not sure how many remember that story-line. I'm fairly sure it was an officially run event, but essentially, Origin was threatening to wipe each UO server if the players didn't band together to stop these fanatics called the Followers of Armageddon from acquiring a scroll of Armageddon and casting the doomsday spell. There were standoffs in Trinsic and other cities, as well as epic battles. The turn out was enormous because players felt like their actions mattered. In the end, the servers didn't get wiped, and, at least in my imagination, that is because so many players showed the integrity to actually show up to these events.

TLDR; Player-organized RP event blueprint: Script settings - not outcomes.

3. mass

mass Avatar

You know, in a broader sense, I've had some weird encounters with people that seem like they want to play together, but won't talk...at all.

Like, I was in the Rise and someone sent me a group invite, which I accepted, and I tried to find out what they wanted to do with several texts. They didn't respond, but followed me, and invited others, who also did not respond. After a while, I suspected they were bots, so I went down to the dragon to see if they would either respond, or die repeatedly. I got one total silence, one broken spanish response (like a similar, incorrect phrase a few times, to which I responded in spanish and got no response) and one seemingly real person who said something like 'what's going on here' but then went silent. We actually killed the dragon after multiple deaths, and I tried to talk more, and they just stood there staring at me.

So, just a really strange experience. It felt too random for them to be bots, but like the communication was just not there. I didn't want to 'chat', I just at least wanted to know what we were trying to do. Maybe they were roleplaying bots? :D

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Vallin Tregres and Numa like this.
  4. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Now "those" i really hate :D

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Vallin Tregres and mass like this.
  5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Ryodin Stormwind

Not possible in SotA, lots of decisions are anti RPvX gameplay here.
    I left and hope for other games where things like you posted are possible.

To have no Caps and Coop Mode and at least everything available for real money or without beeing unprotected all the time , with Coto repair and not loosing stuff on death it's not gonna happen here.
    This game is sonething completely different of what people expect thinking of UO or even Ultima.
    The only spiritual successor stuff here is Mr. Garriott and some references to Ultima, but gameplay and feeling, interactivity etc... is completely different.

I was playing LoA for some days and just a small tell of what happened.
    I talked to people at the Bank , i helped others and it doesnt felt i'm OP and take the fun and challenge from the other away like it happens here.
    I tried to get to my corpse in a Dungeon to get my stuff back and nobody was around to help me, but i made it after couple of tries and felt rewarded and lucky to have my stuff back.
    I was pk'd at my house, i was pk'd while fighting mobs. I began to fight back , i lost anyway, but i know the next time better and because of hard caps he one day is beatable to me.
    I ran with friends in a Dungeon and it's full of other players helping each other or fighting each other. Not possible in SotA unless you love to grind for hundreds nearly thousands of hours.
    All over all it felt more rewarding in every aspect of the game, although it lacks other things SotA has.

The Concept of this game is Tavern RP and Socializing like Second life friendly, but completely wrong if you like a RPG sandbox and RPvX gameplay.
    And they wont be able to repair that unfortunately.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  6. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

I gotta disagree with pretty much everything regarding “Portalarium failed” and your overall definition of RPing. Port gave us the tools to RP as much as any other game, if not more so. Character customization in how we look and what we wear as well as the most advanced scene-building tools in the form of housing and PoT. A universal background option with plenty of lore to build upon and a system built around playing the story your way rather than being “the hero”. The world is rather large, yet easily traversal with a venue of scenes to choose from for the lore regarding the location if not just for the looks. Finally, the biggest tool for RPers, a “friends only” online mode, allowing you to host an event in a frequented location without interfering or being interfered by those not participating.

Womby, Retro, Kara Brae and 1 other person like this.
  7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Erk? I don't get this at all.
    I've never seen RP hate as described here. Maybe I'm just running in completely different circles.
    I've found deep, meaningful, memorable roleplay in a basic text only chat room with no bells and whistles whatsoever.
    That's kind of the point of RP for me, is that the players drive the story and what is happening is dynamic.

I've been to some RP events in game that I left thinking, this was not an RP event, it was a performance - people reading pre-determined scripts at predetermined cues - I mean, that's theatre, not roleplaying. And there's nothing wrong with theatre. But its not the same thing.

I'm by no means an expert on any of this, but -
    • Talking in 'local' chat does not make it roleplay.
    • Standing around talking about non-game-related stuff, while your character does an emote or plays an instrument, is not role-play.
    • A bunch of people stood around emoting at each other with no other meaningful conversation ...yeah I don't think that's roleplay either. We could argue this one.
    Running across someone who actively role-plays the game, staying in character, keeping any non-character stuff in a separate chat - is a rarity. I have seen it a handful of times only and I am instantly delighted when I do, and will gladly play along.

I don't know, maybe some of the experienced RPers need to put some sort of guide as to what is expected. As I say, I'm not an expert, but my understanding of the situation is - you assume the identity of your character, speak how they would speak, react how they would react, and live the story. There's usually rules about not being able to make 'other peoples characters' do stuff, and allowing them to react. Is there an active group of people that do this? Where? I want to come play too.

I live in an asian themed town with heavy buddhist influences. I do /taichi on the top of a cliff when I have to afk. I'm desperate for some yoga emotes. If I see people in town I don't know or haven't seen before, I used to put on my desert nomad outfit and greet them with 'namaste' and speak in cryptic riddles as befits the desert-seer-mystic character I play. Most of them steamroll right past this and ask me if I have any ore for sale or can I enchant something.

I originally took great care to name my vendors something that fit the theme of the town instead of "Ore for Sale" but this level of nuance didn't seem appreciated by most so whimsy and ease of identification won out in the end. Though it still irks me, I'm adaptable.

Saying the game discourages RP or doesn't give us enough tools I don't think is fair. You don't need tools, its player driven creativity. That's kinda the point.
    The fact that we have hundreds of emotes, and outfits, and the ability to customize the setting with hundreds of different decorations ...are pretty strong tools.
    I mean I'm not sure what else we're wanting here.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  8. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Precisely the point, yet it doesn’t change the fact there are quite a few events going on as I described and if said event occurs early for a new RPer it most likely sours them to the concept of RP and they don’t bother. Much of what I said are ultimately memes regarding the concept of RP that non-RPers are already aware of before even trying to RP.

IMO, a good RP event finds a way to involve everyone and offers the opportunity for character development. It doesn’t have to be a life changing moment, but anything that brings about something the RPer had not thought of their character before. For example, one of my characters in WoW is a “Detective” of sorts and the events I host with them involve forensics, area scouting and alternative outcomes regarding fair combat where win/lose is 50/50.

During one such event the combat was so close it came down to a 1 on 1, final strike moment. The final participant won the roll, but “beating the opponents” is only one identifier. Rather, win/lose is subjective per-participant and how they view the outcome. During this event a Hunters pet had been badly injured and they messaged me asking what they were supposed to do about it. I offered the suggestion to “Don’t hide the scars, take them with you and build a greater story about yourself.” In that regard, the Hunter Won the event because it gave her the opportunity for character development that she chose to roll with rather than retcon.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  9. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

It's terrible to hear this. I love when people do this, personally. Like how @King Robert runs around talking about how his wife and her brother are getting too close these days, or how he's going to go out on a boar hunt. This stuff makes the game so much more fun and interesting, if you ask me. Stinks to hear that you've run into this type of sentiment, because I think role players make this type of game SO much more fun.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Numa like this.
  10. SamRothstein

SamRothstein Avatar

Light RP is the best IMO. Acting and talking as if you're in the world that you're in. I'm behaving as myself as if I lived in Novia.

I generally ignore that we're "inside a game" and talk as if this is real life - but without a lot of the hardcore RP baggage. This to me is the best kind of RP, it's much more natural and not as stuffy. Just behave and talk as if this is who you are inside this world.

Numa and Nikko like this.
  11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

What?

Haha sorry, you seem to not to understand what RPvX is and you are perfectly list the Tavern RP and Second Life Style of Socializing features, but nothing about a RPG sandbox with interdependecies and such.
    Regarding Friends mode:
    8 player Coop RP, WOW!

Cannot take it serious, sorry.

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

For years now, I've been saying that I'm going to get some friends and build up a guild. :) I think one of the problems is that most of the early backers all started their own guilds. Maybe I'll find some people after launch.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  13. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

As Helvig states so well - RP is happening and active in the SotA world.
    I have a Farmer - who lives in Kahli - a PVP area that has mostly enclosed compounds and adventure activities.
    I work as a mercenary to supplement my income, and to keep in training to protect my farm.
    I hope that you have found http://www.rpota.com/ and can appreciate what is being done there.
    Ordezko - coordinator of the Farmers of Kahli.

14. Obsidian Tempest

Obsidian Tempest Avatar

I also have not see the RP hate and quite frankly it saddens me to read the OP. I don't RP much but there are a people who only rp their avatars. @Helvig Ingvildsdottir is one such player. Not rude when you don't rp with her but will *look* at you strangely when you say modern things. :) I find it refreshing and not too much trouble to lightly rp with her and others when they are around. Remember to enjoy the game and don't get wrapped up in other people and their issues. Feel free to add me to your friends list and although I won't rp much, we could go out and kill a few things and show you around a bit. I'm sure you'll find this kind of offer from many within the community. Cheers!

15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Usually when you encounter “RP hate” it comes from the type of folks who see no reason to play outside stats and numbers. Havent seen much of that around here, but i recall back in the day it was a form of entertainment among PKs to mess with somones RP as much as possible. But that was years ago

However there are deffinately people in sota that will notplay with you if you are not effecient enough for thier xp gain, and so wont play with RPers who are not also min-maxers at least. But its got nothingto do with RP. More just the idea that RPers tend not to number crunch and switch to the fotm skills

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Nikko, Numa and 2 others like this.
  16. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Unless it has changed, you cannot pvp in friends mode. I tried it a while ago logging in several of my accounts at the same time. I flagged one pvp and tried attacking him with the others. I could not. It would not let me attack the pvp flagged character. This is bad for my type of role play which is RP/PvP which is structured combat. If they had a guild war system that would allow you to war other guilds without flagging your entire guild open pvp that would be optimal but for some reason Chris does not like that idea.

17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You cannot attack someone in your party regardless of the PvP flag. You can challenge them to a duel though and, if they accept, then it's on.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Retro, Numa and 2 others like this.
  19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

thank you, I have not seen this! When does this go into effect?

20. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

right, but I am talking out of party. I do understand the duel but I was at the time looking for a workaround for RP/PvP without griefing. I thought if you went to friends mode and flagged yourself (Party) that you could fight another party using RP guidlines. It was just something I tried.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Barugon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.