Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Resolved] getting "Couldn't switch to requested monitor resolution" on launcher

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by grooby, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grooby

grooby Avatar

getting the following error on a fresh install

Switching to resolution 550x302 failed, trying lower one
    All resolution switches have failed
    Screen: could not switch resolution (550x302 fs=0 hz=0)

2. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Hi, can you please post your system specs, so thats cpu speed, memory, graphics card (make, model, memory), OS and version.

I see this is your first post, welcome to shroud of the avatar, Im sorry to hear you cant play!

Can you confirm you meet the following requirements

• Processor: Intel Core 2 DUO 2.4 GHz / AMD Athlon X2 2.7 GHz
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: DirectX11 Compatible ATI Radeon HD 3870 / NVIDIA 8800 GT / Intel HD 4000 Integrated Graphics
    • DirectX: Version 10
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection (Not required for Offline Mode)
    • Hard Drive: 22 GB available space
    or

• Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Dual-Core)
    • Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3870 / NVidia Geforce 640M
    or

• OS: Ubuntu 10.10 or newer officially but most linux flavors supported
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 DUO 2.4 GHz / AMD Athlon X2 2.7 GHz
    • Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3870 / NVIDIA 8800 GT / Intel HD 4000 Integrated Graphics

3. grooby

grooby Avatar

I wonder if it's HD space issue. I just realize I have 5GB of space left on the HD. If so, that's a funny error code for lack of HD space to download the game.

4. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

indeed it is an odd message, but it would be interesting if you can free space up and reply back with your spec and stuff so the devs will have a chance of improving the error message in that situation

5. grooby

grooby Avatar

ok. Just re-install on a freshly formatted 1TB drive and still the same issue.
    • Processor: Dual Socket Xeon X5365
    • Memory: 32 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 970
    • DirectX: Version 12

6. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

OK - further questions to help the devs

1. Do you see the launcher? did you see it download and patch?
    2. are you using steam?
    3. If you go to the folder where sota is installed, there are 2 folders, "shroud of the avatar - launcher_data" and "shroud of the avatar_data" (hopefully) depending on how far the game is getting there should be an output_log.txt file, are there any error types in there.
    4. which anti virus do you have? there was a point where a couple of them had issues with the fact the patcher is a torrent download, have you tried turning it off.
    5. does your ISP block torrents

7. grooby

grooby Avatar

1. I see the launcher but the error popped right up as another window above the launcher. As far as I can tell, the launcher is not doing anything.
    2. I have steam on the machine but not linked to SoTA. I download the install file directly from this site.
    3. See below for output file.
    4. Whatever came with Windows 10
    5. Not that I am aware of.

Launcher output_log.txt:

Initialize engine version: 5.6.3p3 (88d4ddf6344a)
    GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
    Direct3D:
    Version: Direct3D 9.0c [nvldumd.dll 23.21.13.9101]
    Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    Vendor: NVIDIA
    VRAM: 3072 MB (via DXGI)
    Caps: Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=0 INTZ=1 NULL=1 RESZ=0 SlowINTZ=0 ATOC=1 BC4=1 BC5=1
    Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
    Platform assembly: D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.dll (this message is harmless)
    Platform assembly: D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.West.dll (this message is harmless)
    Platform assembly: D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.CJK.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.CJK.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.MidEast.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.MidEast.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.Other.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.Other.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.Rare.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.Rare.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.West.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.West.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Ionic.Zip.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Ionic.Zip.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Mono.Nat.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Mono.Nat.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\MonoTorrent.Dht.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\MonoTorrent.Dht.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\MonoTorrent.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\MonoTorrent.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Photon3Unity3D.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Photon3Unity3D.dll into Unity Child Domain
    - Completed reload, in 0.085 seconds
    Platform assembly: D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
    Platform assembly: D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VR/BlitCopyFromTexArray' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VR/BlitCopyFromTexArray' - Setting to default shader.
    <RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

desktop: 2560x1440 59Hz; virtual: 2560x1440 at 0,0
    <RI> Initialized touch support.

UnloadTime: 1.432401 ms
    LanguageManager: Setting Language=English, Partner=None

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Platform assembly: D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)
    PatchClient Awake, version: 121 settingsfile: Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/patchsettings.txt gameVersionfile: D:/SotA\Shroud of the Avatar_Data/gameversion.txt

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

This is the patch client launched as: D:/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher.exe

Starting patch client update...

Platform assembly: D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\System.Configuration.dll (this message is harmless)
    SystemInfo, graphicsDeviceName=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, graphicsMemorySize=3072, graphicsDeviceType=Direct3D9, operatingSystem=Windows 10 (10.0.0) 64bit, processorCount=8, processorType=Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5365 @ 3.00GHz, systemMemorySize=32762

SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.32.121.Date.03.18.18, LocalTime=3/18/2018 2:45:04 AM, Patch=plumpkin-pick4

SystemInfo, graphicsDeviceName=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, graphicsMemorySize=3072, graphicsDeviceType=Direct3D9, operatingSystem=Windows 10 (10.0.0) 64bit, processorCount=8, processorType=Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5365 @ 3.00GHz, systemMemorySize=32762

Checking SotALauncher-PID file: D:\SotA\SotALauncher.pid

Checking SotALauncher-PID file contents: 12256

Starting p2p engine...

No existing dht nodes could be loaded
    Fallback handler could not load library D:/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/Mono/libc
    Fallback handler could not load library D:/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/Mono/.\libc
    Fallback handler could not load library D:/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/Mono/libc
    Platform assembly: D:\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Mono.Security.dll (this message is harmless)
    D3D device reset failed [invalid call]

(Filename: Line: 341)

Switching to resolution 550x302 failed, trying lower one
    All resolution switches have failed
    Screen: could not switch resolution (550x302 fs=0 hz=0)
    NAT Device found, Type: Mono.Nat.Upnp.UpnpNatDevice

Create Port Mapping: public=55721, private=55721

Specific Mapping: protocol=Udp, public=55721, private=55721

Incoming message barfed: MonoTorrent.Dht.MessageException: Server Error
    at MonoTorrent.Dht.Messages.ErrorMessage.Handle (MonoTorrent.Dht.DhtEngine engine, MonoTorrent.Dht.Node node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at MonoTorrent.Dht.MessageLoop.ReceiveMessage () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    An abnormal situation has occurred: the PlayerLoop internal function has been called recursively. Please contact Customer Support with a sample project so that we can reproduce the problem and troubleshoot it.

(Filename: Line: 51)

An abnormal situation has occurred: the PlayerLoop internal function has been called recursively. Please contact Customer Support with a sample project so that we can reproduce the problem and troubleshoot it.

<and keeps looping>

8. grooby

grooby Avatar

Just realize the log is referring to C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp. Is this something generated during runtime? also how much space does it need? my C drive is the one with only 4GB space left.

9. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Nope. That’s their build path. But your patcher is saying it can’t initialise the directx.

Does you directx normally work? If you run dxdiag does it report any issues?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  10. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

maybe it helps to start it in Win 7 - compatibility mode?

11. grooby

grooby Avatar

12. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

13. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

only other idea is when did you last update your graphics drivers?

14. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

@grooby
    Thanks for all the details. I wanted to ask you about the AMD Control Center, do you have any display settings set in there that could be overriding this?
    One other thing: right click on the .exe file for the game and select 'troubleshoot compatibility.' Does Windows find any problems it wants to autocorrect? I know that other compatibility troubleshooting was completed up above.
    And finally, click on the cog on the launcher. Toggle "Enable Borderless Window Mode" - in case this triggers a change that would at least let you get into the game.

15. grooby

grooby Avatar

so tried the "troubleshoot compatibility" option and it finally worked under "Window XP SP2 mode + Run as administrator"

liz_the_wiz and Lexie like this.
  16. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.