Is there any need for cheap starting farming equip?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Earl Atogrim von Draken, Mar 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

At the moment i am thinking about offering gold engraved pickaxes, axes and so on for "throw away" prices starting with launch day.
    Just asking myself if there is any real need for stuff like that.
    Any opinions?

Corv and Bow Vale like this.
  2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

i know there are people making weapons, armor, and even reagent packs to hand out during the first few days.

i think anything we can do to make people feel welcome is a good thing.

3. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Not sure if a new player will appreciate something like that even if it is cheap as it will still cost them something. Free is all a new player and their wallet understand i think but a good idea and would be a good deal if they saw it as such. They might just think you a trader trying to make a quick buck when you aren't!

I've got enough recipes to wallpaper a house with so I'm going to be handing them to new players myself. Maybe with a wolf/bears head as well so they can make themselves a new hat, their first crafted item in game :)

4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I see your point but than again....2 gold ignots, the coal, the pickaxe. I was planning top sell them for 250 ea which is a real steal even for new players.
    I guess i will hust try it, advertise it and if they sell out i will make a new set. And if not i will use the tools up myself ^^

Bow Vale likes this.
  5. MasterWan

MasterWan Avatar

I don’t agree with just giving stuff away. Takes the fun out of earning it for new players, diminishes the reward system and just hurts the “eventual” economy.

6. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

Correct me if i'm wrong, but new players can't take stuff from other players untill they reach level 15(?).
    There was something in the patchnotes. *puzzle*

Edit:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/...gE-kAb7laLz4hVQpiB0UjUUpiVSDCfFeNh2I1cD4a/pub
    • Trade Block until Adventuring Level 15: To combat fraud, we are now blocking trade between players until they reach at least adventuring level 15 (which represents a few hours of gameplay).

7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Not sure if this includes buying from Vendors.
    @DarkStarr @Berek ?

8. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I don't either at all and agree with you but for me i think what's been mentioned in this thread so far is not anyway hurting an economy or giving a player a big headstart, they just seem as a welcome gift of monetary value, low.

Hmmm....cant see how this is needed... Ok ...''Looking for 8 new players for an xp hunt to....THE RISE".....should be level 15 in 5 minutes :)

9. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

Is anyone planning on leading groups of newbies around to show them the ropes? Seems like things like that would go further than offering goods at discount prices as they may be shocked when the discounts end.

10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

In Soltown the last week the ratio of Hospitallers versus Outlanders is about 2:1.
    Where the share of Outlanders who actually interact with us is about 25%.
    So if we take that into account the ratio of Hospitallers versus interacting Outlanders is about 8:1.

Alley Oop likes this.
  11. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i don't have a reference handy (as i usually try to), but i thought the party experience split actually did take the adv level differences into account past a certain point, so you can't firehose newbies with quite that much

Bow Vale and Spoon like this.
  12. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

I'm thinking the hospitallers may need to be the ones that interact with the newbies. I think a lot of these newcomers aren't going to be used to the more social community that is here in SotA. They are used to just logging into a world where there are other players around, but they don't really interact with them. You know - like every other boring MMO out there today.

I'm thinking we will want to shout in town that we are forming leveling/questing parties, etc.

My plan is to go hang out in Highvale Outskirts and try to get a group of newbies together to run the frostgeist quest line.

13. Corv

Corv Avatar

YES! I need that too ;) !
    Great idea, do it!

14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Why is your default position to assume they do not?
    I don't get it since it seems like a very strange position to start from.

Just because players will place extra cheap beginner stuff on their vendors doesn't make them less likely to also engage with them in other ways. Instead it is the opposite which is likely. That those who think of newcomers and do one thing will of course also think of doing other things as well. I'd be extremely surprised if @Earl Atogrim von Draken doesn't have a couple of different schemes he is doing apart from the tools thingie.

Same thing with the interaction thing, why assume we don't? I mean that 25% is when we do all the things you listed and many more things. I usually go with the "Free Beer, Free Pie, Free Advice" approach myself since it is usually good at getting the attention. If you are just standing there then it would be less than 5%.
    Its just that a lot of players don't want to be interacted with early on unless it is by their initiative. Or in some cases a wide language barrier etc. Players come in all types, some will want to engage, others not so much especially early on.

With that said though, we definately need more folks in Highvale Outskirts, so it is great if you are thinking of going there.

15. Sephros

Sephros Avatar

Are people honestly expecting a huge in flux of players because this patch is labeled launch? I'm wondering what gives everyone this feeling?

16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

More than usual at least. The feeling comes from 8 ppl i know in RL and another 3 I know all my online life that are going to start playing in exactly 7 days for different reasons.

17. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

I mean even as someone coming back I'd appreciate it since I sold all my unbreakable stuff and everything but the armor and weapons on my back when I took my hiatus.

18. Corv

Corv Avatar

I know people who wait will release to play because they want to play a finished game. Many people in general do not want to play Early Access games. So there will definitely be more players at release, I have absolutely no doubt about that.
    We will see how many. But thinking that there won't be more people playing is just as silly as thinking there will be millions more playing. Also take into account that Portalarium and Travian wait till after release to do all their marketing. :)

19. Cock of the North

Cock of the North Avatar

It took me quite a while to realise there are gold engraved pickaxes. I think its a great idea as I walked around many vendors in the starting towns looking for and trying to work out what gear was good or well priced to spend my hard earned hold pieces on. Its also a much better use of any tool repair kits they find

20. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Im not really expecting much of a change in the game on launch day. It should be business as usual after a release with the exception of maybe some old pledgers coming back to check it out. I haven't seen any kind of marketing campaign going on anywhere that would bring in a buncha new players day 1 (especially in any real numbers). Im hopping the big rock in the sky fuss is related to some major new system we have not heard of that will get a lot of people who used to play excited to come back and burn time in that system but even that is doubtful since the only thing marketed is a big rock in the sky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.