How to Own a Home in SotA Without Spending Money (Updated Feb 2020)

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Bayard, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Using melee/ranged is very good for grinding, maybe a direction you don't want to take the character but zero reagent cost apart from some heals and such. Also a lot of the lower tier spells in schools are zero reagent use and are actually some of the best damage skills of each of the trees.

Glad you enjoying it overall and the housing i personally don't find an issue with it taking a new player 2 months( doing not the optimum money making method) as you state to be able to purchase a lot. If a player wanted to rush getting a house and thus grind till they get, mining is the best way to go really, here you can pull in 200 ore an hour and make 10k an hour thus selling to players quite easily, a month thus for a property is not that bad at all i don't think.A row house especially with something like a crafted 4 story greenhouse is one of the best choices a new player can make. Those crafted houses i just love and with a growing area up top really is all a new/mid or even older player needs imo.

My first house was the one that looked like a garden shed in the cemetery just outside Brittany and i think it took me ages saving up for that as a new player.

The crafted row house is great imo and also if you got other plots of land then now there are plenty of houses to craft, the new log cabin looks great. 500g a day cant be got as you state each day if you log in, say you didn't then that 4k you at the moment make in an hour would cover a weeks rent, not so bad i don't think. I have at the moment 2* taxed Town deeds , thus 4000 a day to find, 500g from oracle if i remember, leaves 3500g a day. I do usually log in for a few hours a day and have no trouble paying for that out of my earnings a day, true if i wasn't logging in id maybe have issues but in that case id downsize to what i could afford. Yes i don't like paying taxes really as i think that money could be better spent on whatever else but i don't have issues at the moment paying it.

Numa and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  2. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

great, simple guide. thanks!

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  3. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

@Bow Vale

I was doing the mining method yesterday. I can't hit 200 ore an hour even in the most rich mines. I'm at 80 mining, using an Obsidian Potion of Expedience (+40% swift gathering bonus) and a Gold Etched Pickaxe (+30% swift gathering bonus).

I timed my progress with my phone and I was getting 150-160 ore every 45 minutes, which I felt was quite good. I managed to get 150 ore in 36 minutes in one interval even, but the norm was about 45 minutes for 140 ore.

The problem for me came when it was time to sell the ore. I searched all over Novia for vendors to sell the 800 iron ore that I extracted during my play session. I found vendors willing to buy it from as high as 37g to as low as 18g per ore. The median I saw was around 27g per ore. Fortunately, I was able to sell ~700 of my ore for between 37g and 34g before the vendors I found buying it that high ran out of orders. I still have some of the ore in my bank because I didn't want to sell it for under 34g, but I may have no choice - we will see.

All in all, I made a little over 25,000g from selling Iron Ore in a single day. I made another 20,000g+ from selling various other ores from my bank (Nickel, Tungsten, Tin, Copper). Seems good until you realize I was on almost the entire day to accomplish this feat. I had a lot of down time traveling back to the mine after recalling to my city of Resolute. In retrospect, it would've been more efficient to bind to a city nearby, store my ore in that bank temporarily, and then gather it when I set out to sell. Better yet would be to have a friend teleport to the mine and take the ore back to the city if they would be so willing. However, there's only so much of the mine I can take.

Finding suitable buyers for the ore is what took the longest by far. I spent probably 3 hours crawling Novia looking for suitable buyers. I checked around Resolute - sold to S Mart and Soryn Fields. When they ran out of orders, I headed over to Britanny. There I checked a few cities that had 90+ vendors in them: Brittany Fields, Brittany Alleys, and Novia Market. I had a hard time finding any vendors in those locations who were buying for anywhere near what I had found near Resolute, and so that became a colossal waste of time.

I realize that players want to make a profit, but I feel like some of these shops are just being a bit greedy. I mean, Iron Ore sells for 40g each basically across the board at every shop I've visited. Nonetheless, these players' vendors are buying for less than 30g per ore...Supply and demand, I guess.

I'll probably move on to mining Copper next since there seems to be a bigger demand for it and Tin.

Anyways, I was able to acquire 30 COTOs with the money made plus additional funds I had previously. That's significant progress towards the 85 needed for the lot, but there is no guarantee that there will be any COTOs still on the market when I acquire the remaining gold to buy them.

I calculate I still need another 200,000g to acquire the remaining 55 COTOs I need just for a Row Lot.

4. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Great detailed write up!

I should have mentioned i was referring to gold/silver ore which i think is a more purchasable resource. I use iron rarely myself as deal in light armour and also when refining i can get a lot more ingots due to scrap metal used in the recipe. I'm always after silver or gold ore for myself for enchanting and masterworking and i think many others are the same. The silver mines, Elysium and the gold mine Graff mines are easy with regard combat i think for a newer player, maybe try there and see how things turn out.

Ideally, either get a vendor yourself somewhere ( i know not ideal), or have a word with someone who might let you place items on there's ( there's some friendly people about), or/and check the buy prices of the vendors you have already been to, to see if they are offering more for these resources than iron. ALso you can sell on the public vendor, Owls Head is/was best not sure now but with lauch coming I'm sure it will be busier and you can also maybe get a 'contract' from a player who sells the resources to supply them with..

Check out this thread, the chap has much better mining that I, and i presume you as well but it will give u and idea of what can be got...
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/meticulous-collection.102001/

Here's another link for mining silver in Elysium that might be useful...
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-so-much-easier-than-gold.108255/#post-932057

Also check the marketplace forums where you can make a post.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...modities-wts-wtb-ex-cotos-wood-sugar-etc.762/

Also check the marketplace forums, The sell section you can make a post
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...modities-wts-wtb-ex-cotos-wood-sugar-etc.762/

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Grumin and Ryodin Stormwind like this.
  5. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

Some really good information and ideas to think about in your post. Thanks, I appreciate it.

I can handle T5 fairly well (Adventurer level is around 54 - closing in on blades specialization), and I've been mining the Spectral Mines for Iron Ore. It was by far the densest mine I've found yet. However, I haven't been to Elysium or Graff, so I will definitely check those out later tonight.

After considering your post, it sounds like I might just be spending my time on the wrong type of ore. I hadn't had much luck getting Gold/Silver Ore in large quantities. Random road encounters seemed like the best way, but with long load times, and only 5-7 nodes per instance, it was very tedious.

As far as mines are concerned, I'd been to the Broken Road Silver Mine and the Whiteguard Silver Mine, but, alas, they didn't have much in the way of silver - or nodes of any kind for that matter. These are T2 areas, and so I'm guessing that the developers intentionally left them with fewer nodes to help slow down progression - a decision I can support.

Bow Vale likes this.
  6. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Elysium is a doddle...:)

One of Laces very informative videos, check it out and all of her others for great game knowledge...

Ryodin Stormwind likes this.
  7. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

This was when I looked down at the post date. Beetles are up to 750-ish now. And this was in only a month or two. (Meanwhile, suet hardly moves at 100 each!)

I don't know about that. I don't think it's about the store price of COTOs as much as the shift to deprecate the store in favor of in-game crown merchants. COTOs above 3500 was a scenario considered back when they were introduced, but I was surprised to see it flip so fast after reaching 3500.

Then you may be Doing It Wrong™. There are plenty of spells that you can use with no reagent cost, especially when just going around farming XP and drops. Just because a spell is lower "level" doesn't mean you have to abandon it for something "higher". My two big spells are Fire Arrow and Searing Ray. When I'm fighting bones I also use Banish Undead, and had to go home after running out of garlic once recently, but its main reagent is corpse wax, which you get back from the undead. I use Ring of Fire and Immolation every now and then, but at 9% reagent use chance, it still takes a while, and I have a big pile at home.

In fact, I'm usually reagent-positive, because I know how and where to find them in the wild.

8. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Some people feel that if they aren't gaining the maximum amount of XP every second they are logged on that they are somehow slacking. I am not one of them. In any case, it's a trade-off, but if you want to play that way then you shouldn't be complaining about reagent costs. Still, you don't need to use maximum awesome on everything.

9. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Great post @Bayard, thank you for doing this.

Bow Vale likes this.
  10. Burien

Burien Avatar

Hi!
    it's all good, but ... how much does it cost to buy a simple (row) house in an ordinary (not pot) town and what is needed for this (except to search for free space)?

11. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

luck.

seriously, the only new source of place-anywhere deeds (rather than buying existing ones from other players) is the monthly deed lottery, which has been paused for a few months. tickets will be buyable again next release.

Numa and Burien like this.
  12. Zajo

Zajo Avatar

Thank you Bayard, very helpful.

13. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

After the live stream I noticed you can buy place anywhere taxed deeds from add-on store again. Not sure how long they will last.

14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello @Burien and welcome. It will cost you thousands of gold purchasing a lot deed from players, even a million and the lot deed is what is needed. You can always spend hundreds of dollars of real money to buy tax free bundles for the game. You can play the raffle each release costing 5k or 10k to purchase raffle tickets to try to win a deed and you can also get lucky and find a deed from loot which would be very rare. In the meantime why suffer come and live as a tenant in rooms in the game while you save. You have your own room to place chests and deco as you like and then be free to just explore the game while you take your time deciding what to do. You also have all the amenities that the town owner can give you. Here is the link to see what is out there. I am majoria in game and I am on the list as someone who provides free rooms. Here is the link for you.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?forums/rental-services-free-places-to-live.1067/

Jaesun likes this.
  15. Floors

Floors Avatar

Can you still buy tax free deeds ? I thought those were done except in giveaways.

16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Only available in Bundles.

@Bayard please update the original post with the return of the lottery and the introduction of deeds in loot.

Bayard, majoria70 and Jaesun like this.
  17. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Taxes are based on the fact that you are occupying a lot, whether or not you play. It is partly a gold sink, and partly a mechanism to prevent lots from being taken up by people who have stopped playing.

You can still buy them from other players, of course, but they only appear/appeared in bundles (POT-only) and pledges (place anywhere). The idea is that you're paying ahead, since that's worth a couple of years of COTO rent.

18. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Theyre now also purchasable from the coto merchants ingame (Place anywhere deeds) generaly cost about 20 cotos more than their PoT counterparts.

19. Floors

Floors Avatar

Come settle in picturesque Brekken Bay, just one stop from Yew, Britanny, and Libris

20. Ricky J Roach

Ricky J Roach Avatar

Thank you so much . From mantigames.

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.