How to uninstall from Mac

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rothgarr, Mar 25, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Avatar

Howdy -- I need to free up some space on my Mac -- can someone tell me how to remove the game?

I looked in the Applications folder, but all I see there is the “Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher” package and that's only 92 MB. It's possible I already removed it, but the launcher still tries to patch when I load it, so is there a place to look to confirm if the application files are still on my drive?

2. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

The download folder that the Mac version uses is nuts, I tried reporting it once but it went into the ether. Seriously, whoever came up with the location for the downloads folder is most definitely not a Mac user. It stores data in places that are literally inaccessible to "mortals". @DarkStarr this is really dumb, believe me.

The folder that contains the torrent downloads is ~/.SotA.GameTMP which means it is invisible in the Finder because it starts with a period. You have to go into Terminal and do "open ~/.SotA.GameTMP", then you can delete the downloaded patch files inside. Not only is it in an invisible folder, but it is in your home directory, so if more than one user of the computer is playing SotA, their patch file directories aren't even shared!

The chat logs are just as bad, they're in (or were nearly a year ago when I last played the Mac version) "~/.config/Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar/ChatLogs". Yes, another dotfile directory, and you have to use the open command in the terminal to get into it! (at least now the in-game /datafolder command will open that directory) Since you have been trying to uninstall the game, try "open ~/.config/Portalarium" in Terminal. There will probably be mostly chat logs in there. This really should be inside the "~/Library/Application Support" directory

The game application is stored inside the launcher app. If you want to delete it and keep just the launcher, you need to find the launcher application, right-click, and Show Package Contents. You will see the game .app nested inside. That one is almost 8 gigabytes because it contains the entire game data. This is a little weird, but at least a somewhat sensible place to put it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  3. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Avatar

Thanks so much! That's nuts. I was able to free up 20 gigs by deleting those hidden files starting with a period.

One thing I don't get is related to the package content of the Launcher. Per my OP above, if I right click and do "Get Info" on either the package itself, or the "contents" folder inside of it, both say they are only 92 MB. Does this mean I already deleted the app at some point? Or is it possible it's installed elsewhere on my drive? I had originally installed it years ago during the earliest access. I don't remember having deleted it before, but it's possible.

Thanks again!

4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Yes, that seems to be the size of the empty Launcher.

Rothgarr likes this.
  5. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Avatar

That makes sense, thanks so much for the help -- I'm happy to get a bunch of that space back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.