Population Numbers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Blackthorne, Mar 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

The game the vocals wanted... I find this supposition high-LAIR-y-ous...

Which vocals are you talking about? The vocal rabid PvPers? The vocal Solo Play Above All Else? The rabid Anti-RMTers?

Which?

If it were the product of who could shout the loudest, it'd be a Solo Play UO Clone with World Wide Open PvP and an Unsustainable Business Model.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

1500 it is then :D

3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

*tries to count his rabid +1... not enough fingers*

4. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

To be fair, your primary complaints consist of little more than some cosmetics and/or lack of cosmetics. Collision issues occur in every game I have ever played. State your real agenda. While SOTA is far from perfect, there is an enormous amount of playability and this game is a breathe of fresh air in a VERY stale genre. Still lots of work needing done but significant progress is made each month.

SOTA also released in far better shape than most MMOs I have experienced, including UO by a significant amount. Current state 6/10 but could easily be 8/10 in a few months.

Sara Dreygon and Cordelayne like this.
  5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Not a high bar... UO was a hot mess.

6. Derium

Derium Avatar

that would mean there is a major issue with age on this game then. Most people under 40 use steam for every game possible, since steam handles faster updates and stability. Not using steam is the longer more annoying route of playing a game. Plus workshops are huge.

Smitty and MrBlight like this.
  7. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I agree, but some like to put UO on a pedestal. To be fair, 1997 was a much different time. SOTA released with fewer problems and more game play than Albion Online, Sea of Thieves, and most recent MMO's.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Yes... in every poll that's been run over the last 4 years, the median age of the Backers has been in the mid 40s... Personally, I'm well above median... and I don't see this as an "Issue," thank you very much.
    And save your keystrokes, I've heard your Doomsayer prediction before... No need to repeat it. Just another reason the game is doomed... There've been hundreds of them over the course of development.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  9. Lace

Lace Avatar

From the podcast dude's interview with LB they weren't even going to start their marketing campaign until after launch so numbers today at one given snapshot of time mean meh.

Cordelayne, Numa and Sentinel2 like this.
  10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Because you have to have a place for people to come before you ask them to come there... It's not like a traditional launch where you can hype it before release because no one has access Until it's released...

11. Numa

Numa Avatar

The trending re: game population over the next 3 weeks will show what the sustainability situation is for SOTA. Agree that taking the numbers of the first day means little at this point.

It's encouraging that we're seeing more people (probably backers who've held off playing till now) but the true test is whether the game can pull it in many more new players.

Cordelayne likes this.
  12. Aelender

Aelender Avatar

2000 (lets say steam is only 25%) people on launch day for an international MMO is poor by any metric

This is going to have to be a legendary marketing campaign to save the game. Not doomsaying, just being realistic here.

13. raxxus

raxxus Legend of the Hearth

UO had login issues, duping etc but to say it was a hot mess is ridiculous. The core game was FUN. No loading zones. Sizable player base at launch. Interactive environment( item drop etc ). This game is literally funded by many who hoped it would actually be the UO successor it claimed to be (spoiler :did not happen ).

14. Smitty

Smitty Legend of the Hearth

1,000 people online isn't the worst, IMO, if the world is scaled to that population size (Legends of Aria does a good job at this), to make it feel more full.

However, hopping on during launch day and walking through the capitol Brittany market and not a soul around was bad. Game needs to start removing empty areas at a rapid clip (similiar to Detroit) to condense the population or it might as well market it as a single player online game, or a 'join with your direct friends and co-op dungeons online in your own world' type game. I saw maybe 8-10 people on the overland map last night.

Also, anyone see Lord British and DarkkStarr last night? My friend list had them as offline?

raxxus likes this.
  15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I'm entitled to my opinion... If SotA had one tenth the issues that UO did at launch, the Doomsayers wouldn't be able to type their complaints as they would be frothing in apoplectic rage, blinded by their own spittle. Secondly, those who backed the project because it was going to be a successor to UO had a problem with reading comprehension... What was actually said was it was to be the Spiritual Successor to the Ultima Series, which Includes, but is not Limited To Ultima Online.

Elwyn and MrBlight like this.
  16. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Lol?
    Can i ask your definition of Spiritual Successor?
    Couldnt they also claim its a Spiritual Successor of WoW, Fallout, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy then technically?
    And its peoples interpretation of Spiritual Successor that makes them dupes?

Nah. It was definitly marketed towards the Ultima crowd in every aspect, and they knew full well that it was expected to be relatable to it.

Althogh, in your defense. He also just recently claimed the PvP is inspired / relateable to Dark Age of Camalot, although no one whose played DAOC would agree.. so the Spiritual* addition to the claim can definitly be argued it makes what ever followed meaningless.

Not that id expect any other publisher to not be flacked by using the same mislead.

If Diablo 3 came out as a Spiritual Successor to Diablo 2, and it was a racing game where one of the drivers was Diablo, then your argument would still hold.
    So i guess you get a like. Because i suppose i agree with you, as its on the publisher to choose wording and marketing, then how to deliver said product, and then the consumer to decide hpw they feel about that.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Ahuaeynjgkxs and raxxus like this.
  17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Why would that matter? Each person's definition will be, and has been proven to be different. However the person to whom I was replying claimed it was Advertised as "The UO Successor" (no "Spiritual" using whatever definition you wish), with no mention of the other dozen or so titles. The exact definition of Successor is a non-sequitur.

Other phrases that have no singular definition:
    • Immersion
    • Meaningful PvP

18. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thread is going off the rails. Thanks for posting the question OP! For player numbers, you can use Steam as a part guide, as well as general community involvement here in the forums, game, and elsewhere. If more specific numbers are possible, we will be happy to share them here with you guys.

For now, just have fun playing and don't stress over your own perception of how empty or full the game is. Just have fun playing!

Thanks,
    Berek

Lord Blackthorne, Bigg, K1000 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.