Heraldry submissions appear to be open

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oakenhammer, Mar 26, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Without real world examples, it's all just supposition.

From what I'm gathering, again, without real world examples, much like Lord British's "Device" as displayed on the one example we have, it appears that the Heraldic System has NOT been designed to incorporate complete devices, but ONLY the Charge or Charges ON the Device...

If you include the Field of the Device, you'll have a square of color in the middle of a field of muslin beige, and it will look like poop.

So, @Bodhbh Dearg, my supposition is that the system is designed to for you to submit this:

[​IMG]

A collection of fieldless charges that will float in space.

Knowing the Heralds that have been involved with the project for the last 4 years, and assuming that my supposition above is correct, I find it very difficult to believe that they were consulted prior to this system being developed on the proper display of heraldic devices.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  2. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I use Inkscape.

3. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Which also looks like poop... So we're pooped anyways
    And also the reason I am considering a heater shaped CoA, as that at least makes it look it somewhat ok...

I'm pretty certain that assumption is correct... :(

Sir Frank likes this.
  4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Having used the system, I believe you are on the right track with this supposition. Given the scale and how charges are applied to other surfaces, I think larger charges on a transparent background are best for armor and shields. A charge on a colored background might look ok on heraldry banners, but will appear as small in the center of the banner, not filling the banner.

My hunch is that those insisting on extremely detailed COAs (lots of tiny elements) will be disappointed. And its not necessarily the fault of system implementation. Its because very small, intrigate detail just may not translate well to the small scale at which they are shown in game. The real frustration is that getting this right requires experimentation/examination in game (looking at it on the account page is not enough) to see what you get. But unfortunately the system is set up for charge $25 for every experiment. If there's any 'fail' in implementation its the lack of flexibility to see this 'in game' before locking the selection. IMHO.

royalsexy, Chatele and Nikko like this.
  5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

But this is exactly what we've been led to believe would be implemented over the course of the last 4 years, and what a Very Dedicated team of Very Talented Heralds have been working toward over the course of the last 4 years.

6. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

The system we are getting is not what Lord British asked us to build. It is what Portalarium has decided is practical.

7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

How do you fill the background with a solid color, or divide the background with two colors in the current generator? I am having a hard time figuring that out.

8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I abandoned the generator as it is barely functional, and incapable of producing anything that I would call heraldry... Your device, Your Grace, that you've displayed for 4 years, is impossible to produce using the existing tool. And, should you wish to submit it as an image, it will appear as a red and white square floating, disjoint, on a beige field. You could submit the 3 Lions Rampant Gules in a .png with a transparent background...

9. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

We completely understand that some of you are feeling frustrated by the experience so far with the heraldry system. We also understand that things have changed since the original direction with the College of Arms. However after our experience with SotAMap we decided that going forward any systems critical to the game had to be directly supported by ourselves and not a third party. What seems sustainable at a small scale and isolation (SotAMap and COA) are absolutely not applicable in a real world environment and have to often be rewritten or at least refactored. This means that many features will be lost (at least temporarily) or changed. This is the practicality of development. Could we have been better about communicating these realities? Absolutely and for that we apologize.

As a reminder if you are not satisfied with our current heraldry generator you can use many of the other heraldry generators on the internet that you perhaps might find more satisfactory and then use the direct image submission.

10. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Thank you for the reply, @DarkStarr. Can I infer from your statement "(at least temporarily)" that it your intention to iterate on the Heraldry system until such time as a device might be properly displayed? As things stand now, not even Lord British's famous device can be properly displayed... Only the main charge.
    This is what I've done... Being a Heraldic Artist, and having helped many people create their own devices to register with the College of Arms, I had an image, in square format as suggested. However it will, I'm lead to believe, appear as a square image in the center of the Banner, Tunic, or Shield...

12. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

Here are my results in all their glory:

Custom Image Submission:
    [​IMG]

Here are the banners (note: these are not dye-able at the moment):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the plate armor and shield:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the plate armor and shield dyed (note: I only changed the primary color, but there is a secondary color for the trim that can also be dyed):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enjoy!

13. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

@DarkStarr

If we submit a .jpg of what we are looking for in regards to heraldry, will it show up as a "Picture" on our shields, armor, signs, etc... or will it actually be recreated in game to match our submissions?

14. DarkStarr

see above for Oakenhammer's example

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  15. DarkStarr

As with the ENTIRE game we iterate on everything over time.

Lained and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  16. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Is there any way to preview what it will look like, or does it have to go through a manual approval process first?

Ember likes this.
  17. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I found a couple by simply googling
    RPG "Coat of arms" generator

I haven't dug into it enough yet to recommend one over the other, but when I do I will post the result.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  18. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

Thank you for your reply :)

19. Resolute

Resolute Avatar

We really need those banners to be dye-able.

They look terrible with just the beige.

Applerust likes this.
  20. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

And if an image is approved, do we have to pay to get it changed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.