What's with the huge changes in minimum specs?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Deadly Habit, Mar 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yistaan

Yistaan Avatar

If these are the system specs, it will just serve to lower the SOTA player base more. There's a lot of fantasy MMO AAA competition going strong that runs on lower specs, and new players could just end up playing those instead. ESO has Sumerset expansion coming soon, LOTRO just got Mordor, DDO got Ravenloft recently, Lodoss Online recently came out in the West, Neverwinter MMO is going strong with a jungle expansion coming, and even Ultima Online (up till now the sole monthly fee MMO in this group) is getting a free to play mode very soon.

I loved Lord British's older work, even Ultima 9, but I have seen little in SOTA so far to keep me playing it over the MMO's I just listed. And I've seen a lot in SOTA that makes me feel it's the lesser choice (dull NPC's, poor quest mapping, NPC's that don't know where the quest NPC is i.e. Kyle the blacksmith in Aerie, broken quests such as the non-working password in vigilante camp, etc.)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Derium likes this.
  2. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

North side near the fairgrounds.

3. Yistaan

Yistaan Avatar

Yeah one NPC said this (said it was east of the castle) and I was there for an hour before I gave up. It doesn't help the quest markers don't work for him, and everywhere looks almost the same.

4. eli

eli Avatar

It's been about 6 months but I'll try running on my Intel iris 560 NUC this weekend and report back. My hunch is it will still be playable on my computer which cost me $420.. especially if they got vulkan support in.

5. Yistaan

Yistaan Avatar

It's interesting that Total War: Warhammer 2, one of the most demanding games of last year, has a lower recommended GPU requirement (GTX 770) than Shroud's minimum GPU of GTX 960

Derium likes this.
  6. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I think actually the most interesting thing about this is... what kind of laptop does it take to run it acceptably? Will you have to have a "gaming" laptop with a 200W power brick to have any chance of decent performance on the go?

Numa likes this.
  7. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Okay... so... those specs as minimum? That's like what... a PC that was closer to top of the line maybe 3 to 4 years ago?

Generally, newly released titles are released with minimum requirements for PCs that are roughly 3 to 5 years "out of date", because by the time the game is released, that's what "most" PC gamers should have.

My old system that I built and upgraded a couple of times that is now approaching 6 years of age exceeds those minimum specs. My new system exceeds the recommended specs.

Does it suck if you're system is below the minimum? Yeah, probably, it really depends how far below minimum you are. Give it a go and see how it runs. Maybe it won't be as bad as you think, maybe you'll need to upgrade some.

That's unfortunately the way these things go.

8. Numa

Numa Avatar

I have a midrange gaming laptop about 3 years old. 135W, GTX 860m, i7, 16GB RAM. Runs the game well at 1920x1080.

Min specs are way overstated since mobile Nvidia GPUs are less powerful than their desktop counterparts.

9. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

ASUS ROG STRIX GL753V
    i7-7700HQ @ 2.8GHz
    GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5
    32GB RAM DDR4
    1TB HDD; 256GB SSD M.2 (boot)

majoria70 likes this.
  10. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

How about a ten year old Dell T5500 workstation?
    Runs just fine and dandy.

Nelzie likes this.
  11. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

It is all about the RAM - max it out.

jammaplaya likes this.
  12. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Curious those posting thier computer specs, what fps are you getting, on what graphics settings? Or in other words what do you consider acceptable or 'runs decent'?

@Numa @CrandalltheFoole

Numa likes this.
  13. Mischievous Dragon

Mischievous Dragon Riparian Reaper

ASUS ROG Strix GL703VM-DB74
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    • Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz
    • 16GB DDR4 RAM
    • 256GB PCIe SSD + 1TB SSHD
    • RGB Keyboard
    MSI GE62VR 7RF Apache Pro
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
    • Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz
    • 16GB DDR4 RAM
    • 256GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
    • RGB Keyboard

14. Numa

Numa Avatar

With my laptop rig - 1920x1080 with very minimal hitching. 25-30fps minimum.

There are times during guild runs (Hilt Forge was one of the worst) that I had to scale down the resolution further because of the number of hostile elementals and all the spell effects. I can go down as low as 1600x900 in these worst scenario cases in order to preserve the fps. Guild party normally numbers from 6-7 players.

15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

And those cost how much? Also, I don't think it needs the meme keyboard.

16. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Every game that comes out has a thread like this. Always.
    The game constantly upgrades to the next best thing, so it is unrealistic to think that users should not have to as well. People comparing single player games are not taking into consideration this is not the same type of game. Its always been more stressful for games that include more players and especially when they can affect the environment (housing/towns, just zoning into an area with you, etc). Also, those games do not use a Unity engine (different engines, different capabilities).

I do wonder on those min/recommended specs if they are not actually lower for the single player offline user and they just list the min/rec. for those using the standard multiplayer mode... or if there would be even much of a difference. I know offline doesn't have the player owned towns stuff and the extra players and all their gear/interactions, etc. So I would assume so, but only a Dev could say for certain.

As far as the graphics not being great, they are really wonderful. There is a lot going on there in the physics and applications of light/shadow that most probably don't even see without having settings turned to max or a high end video card that makes the most of it. I use an older card and use my wife's new system for comparison and it's really great. I do recommend bumping up the saturation/vibrancy a little to get away from the muted colors, unless that's your thing, and a 4k+ monitor. Makes it look wonderful.

Numa and Koss like this.
  17. Koss

Koss Avatar

@Brugas I totally agree. The people that are crying '****' graphics are full if sh*t. On max settings it is amazing.

Brugas likes this.
  18. Ghuton

Ghuton Avatar

Basically, it demonstrates the inability of devs to optimize the game. That simple.

Mykll likes this.
  19. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

Because I'm playing the game and was hoping to get an answer figuring that this is where the devs primarily post. What's hard to grasp of people posting here and the subreddits?

Mykll likes this.
  20. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

The GPU requirements for this game are astonishing... and the performance questionable. With a GTX 1080 I'm seeing FPS of 30-40 in some major areas, which is what I saw years ago back during early access.... I expected better after all this time. Especially for unity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.