How would you rate the launch?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rpgmaniac82, Mar 27, 2018.

?

How would you rate the launch?

1. 1 (worst)

34 vote(s)
    14.9%
  2. 2

8 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. 3

18 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. 4

18 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. 5

32 vote(s)
    14.0%
  6. 6

10 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. 7

27 vote(s)
    11.8%
  8. 8

30 vote(s)
    13.2%
  9. 9

24 vote(s)
    10.5%
  10. 10 (best launch ever)

27 vote(s)
    11.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raxxus

raxxus Legend of the Hearth

I have an inkling anyone with these feel good blinders has a vested interest in RMT... do you?

2. Smitty

Smitty Legend of the Hearth

3. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Oh the RMT thing exists, but I really haven't seen it over the past 2 years. In fact, I would say the people who thought they would make a RMT business on this game left a long time ago. Im sure the social engineers would continue to try to press that conspiracy theory.

As to "feel good blinders": As I have told the social engineers for years. Just because you hate the game does not mean the person next you does and no matter what crazy conspiracy theory you throw out on your secret alts on these forums, trying to tell people what they should or should not like is just silly.

Sean Silverfoot and Ptolemy like this.
  4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

congrats to the dev team. Wish you all joy and success.

5. Owlbear

Owlbear Avatar

I've been quietly back playing for a couple of weeks because I have no patience, but the launch day didn't feel very "special", although it was nice to see a few more people around than previously.

However, I was disappointed to find that in-game area maps still aren't working (on Linux, at least), and in the last 24 hours, I've had to download at least 2.5GB patches, which is caning my mobile broadband allowance (I live in a rural area with slow ADSL speeds).

Still looking forward to sinking my teeth into the main quests, though.

6. Mapper

Mapper Bug Hunter

Lack of promised ingame events and the treatment of EU players results in a big 1/10 for me. Not even logged in, nor do I have an inclination to do so.

7. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

promised events?

8. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

A+ Is how I rate SotA’s Launch

9. Mapper

Mapper Bug Hunter

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=82286#Launch

Smitty likes this.
  10. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Note they probably haven't happened yet because, well, details haven't been finalized...

Each release for them is a month long event. You might have noticed that there were some things that weren't quite right at launch... their priority would (understandably) be to make sure the LAUNCH went smooth before they actually CELEBRATE it in-game.

11. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Pros:

Smoother than expected considering all the additions right before launch. Is that typical?
    Some amazing things made it just under the wire, e.g. heraldry.
    Fun buildup with the meteor and new scene. (Even though it is just a gank-fest)
    Double XP is a great idea.
    Good to see more players.
    More releases to come.

Cons:

Travian migration seems to be hurting some long-term, fiathful supporters.
    Felt just the same as any other release.
    For those who have been here five years, it was quite anticlimactic (unless one of the select few who could attend the launch party).
    Waiting nervously with low expectations for the first launch reviews to roll in.
    IMHO, story and questing does not live up to the high expectations set over the years.

hroth, mystarr, shathiell and 3 others like this.
  12. Numa

Numa Avatar

Exactly the reasons why I voted '7'. It would have been higher were it not for the cons.

13. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Removed some posts with players attacking each other. Please keep on topic and personal attacks out of the forums.

14. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Lets be honest, and hold back your criticisms of the game. I cannot think of ANY MMO launch that went this smoothly. EVER. Is it the low number of people playing? I don't care.

I half expected Chaos to reign. I heard a FEW people in Discord right AT launch time complain of queue's that were at number 60. That is it. Are there bugs? Sure. But we are live, and I saw NOTHING that made me think things were different. It has been like this since Persistence! Seriously, someone do a case-study. This game's development is top-notch (again, forget the criticisms about gameplay, I am talking from a technical "launch of an MMO" perspective).

No downtime.

No restarts.

No posts saying sorry and compensating us for hiccups.

No misteps in terms of tech (i.e., we didn't anticipate this or that).

The 14 people that voted "1" (at the time I am writing this) are either trolls or are focusing on their criticisms of gameplay. The question is how you would rate launch. Not how you would rate the game ;).

Sean Silverfoot and oplek like this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think it went pretty well. I'm really happy to see a lot more players in-game. :)

Numa likes this.
  16. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

The "launch" itself was mostly nothing special (except what the players did on their own), but the devs were busy working on making a release. But I've been having more fun these past two days than in a while.

Not exactly a launch thing, but I finally got my alt through Courage today. Had been stuck on the kobold fight for a while, had to GET A DOG (trained up taming, then got an elder wolf), then got junk plate chest armor to keep from getting chewed up. It was just enough to get me past the next-to-last wave, then I face palmed when I saw the final boss of the fight. I think I hate kobolds. Gained at least two levels finishing Courage, up to AL51. That fight is quite hard at that level, at least if you're used to playing a mage and not being triple-teamed with no time to recover focus. I would even call it an FFXI-tier solo fight, except for not being on a timer.

Also, it seems that quest XP is doubled now too. The Oracle is giving 1000XP instead of 500 daily, and finishing Courage gave 200,000 instead of 100,000.

The trolls are the ones who just say "it's broken" or "it's stupid" or "it's a big joke" without giving any particular reason why they think that is so. Or they dig up things from a year or more ago that have long since been fixed.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Duke Gréagóir and Travitar like this.
  17. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

'Tis a bit confusing......

Couldin and Mykll like this.
  18. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Having a blast so far. Last couple of releases have been stellar. Love seeing the world filled with old friends and new.

Travitar and Numa like this.
  19. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

That would be incorrect.

Also being dismissive of other people's subjective experiences in topics where they are explicitly asked for isn't nice nor productive. It only serves to drive away the fence sitters.

The questions was:
    "How would you rate the launch?"

I gave it a '1' because I couldn't experience launch due to avoidable community management decisions which a simple vetting session would have prevented.

I gave it a '1' based on the lack of events, live streams, unique launch quests, or special appearances in game. For instance adding the Grand Tour back, the raffle back and the death bunny back - but doing nothing to promote all of those things to new/returning players. For us veterans all of those are known and we get what they are, but new players will easily miss them completely unless they are promoted properly.

If the question had been
    "How would you rate the technical aspects of launch"
    I would have given it a 10 since it was one of the smoothest launches of an MMO I've heard of (but not experienced).
    Which is a feather in the cap for the tech guys.

So which is it? Am I a troll or critical of gameplay?

20. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I gave it a 1.

It pained me to do and it was not for any technical reasons or anything to do with the game itself which i did love( and still hope is a big success), but it was the launch was for me ruined by the announcement a few hours before. I tried to make the best of the day( kept my mouth shut, did some pvp in Blood Bay as i hadn't done any in game but that was it).

I had the morning before release( Monday) also given a steam review i had been holding back from for years as i couldn't give a review on a game i didn't know the direction of until release. I had taken 2 days writing it, it was massive and in the end i could only post 1/10 of it due to character limits...aaarrrgghh....Well that review was deleted soon after as the waiting till i knew the full story of the game and direction proved false a few hours after i had posted it with the announcement.....

I waited till the next day to express my dissatisfaction as i wanted to keep some semblance of 4 years of the anticipation for myself and other players/working staff at Portalarium.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Mykll, Jaws2, Jens_T and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.