Full Server Wipe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DocSinister, Mar 29, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocSinister

DocSinister Avatar

I backed this game the moment I heard about it. I played every incarnation of ULtima that has been created, including UO. While I would read some of the emails I receive while the game was bing created, I intentionally did not participate in any betas because I did not want to burn myself out on this game before it even went live.

That said, I have been playing for a couple hours now and I’m seeing people with houses fully decked out in gear and vendors which tells me that there was no wipe.

I have little interest in playing on a shard that is already fully established.

Is there going to be a server wipe, or are there going to be new shards introduced?

2. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

Sorry you missed the message about server persistence but no wipe, no additional servers.

Elwyn, Lained, Brass Knuckles and 2 others like this.
  3. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Game persistence was over 1.5 years ago.

4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

The final wipe took place in 2016. This was communicated to all backers by email.

Sorthious, Barugon, Numa and 3 others like this.
  5. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

One, single server is what the game is going to have.

The game went persistent a little over a year ago, this was openly announced to everyone who was a backer.

Why do you want/need the game to be "Fresh" without any advanced anything in place?

Elwyn and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  6. Thadeus Crook

Thadeus Crook Avatar

It's great to have you here!

7. DocSinister

DocSinister Avatar

I am sorry I missed that as well. Who do I have to speak with to get my money back?

digriz likes this.
  8. stile

stile Avatar

With the game being a player based world and a player based economy, a pre-launch persistance, allowed for those who wanted to help create the start of a vibrant and lived in world, that was driven by players rather than NPC's, thus allowing those who wanted to come in at launch and enjoy that type of game, without having to put the work into creating it, are coming into such a world instead of a dead one only being ran by npc's.

Lained, Thwip, Sara Dreygon and 2 others like this.
  9. DocSinister

DocSinister Avatar

So, those of us who didn’t want to suffer through the development of the game are penalized because we wanted a completed product to enjoy. That makes sense. Again, refunds are given by who?

digriz, Dean478, Mykll and 2 others like this.
  10. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

You backed a kickstarter, not buy a finished product, so there is no refunds. You can list your account for sale in the trade forums.

11. DocSinister

DocSinister Avatar

No, no I can’t. I tied it to my steam account. As for backing, I backed the game expecting that I would be getting a finished product, so your argument is rediculous.

12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

13. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

Sir Frank and Numa like this.
  14. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

While I understand your urge to want things "fresh" and didn't want to "burn yourself out"... there were many other backers who instead chose to play test the game and report bugs and make suggestions and make this game what it is today. If we all stayed away like you did, what sort of game do you think you might be able to enjoy right now?

Back in the day, there was a server wipe every 3 months and those play testers started getting frustrated with having to start over again every quarter. We had to retrain all of our skills, redo the beginner quests over and over, redecorate our properties over and over... it became a huge pain as you can imagine. WE were becoming burnt out and many lost interest in testing the same things over and over.

So, the Devs listened and made an announcement that the final wipe was going to be in Release 32. There were several months of communication to all backers and account holders to inform them of this, including the "land rush" sequence where players had windows of time to choose property locations based on pledge levels.

Knowing that we didn't have to restart over and over again stimulated the test community and it kept a lot of people testing that would not have been here otherwise.

So, for those who put the time and effort into the development of this game, and risked their opportunity to have a "fresh" game at release, we were rewarded with a bit of a head start for what we lost and what we contributed.

I think instead of complaining about being behind, you might consider thanking all those people who made it possible for your kickstarter pledge to become a finished product while you sat around and waited.

Frank Bach, Kara Brae, Elwyn and 11 others like this.
  15. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

There's a complete Single Player game that you received that is not populated with anyone or anything.

In the online game, which has a vibrant economy in place and higher level characters as well as low and mid level characters, there is quite a bit more to do and enjoy for someone who's just entering the game today.

Why do you want/need a "Fresh" server? What is it that you think you are missing?

Elwyn and Daxxe Diggler like this.
  16. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

So if we had a server wipe you would have exactly what you have now...so you just want everyone else to lose the time and effort they invested? I'm not sure how me losing everything helps you have more fun?

We helped build a much better product with our time and effort, you now have the opportunity to enjoy all the work we put in to make the game so much better than it was. You're welcome btw. :) Now go meet some of the nicest people in any mmo and have a blast!

17. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

No one! :)

18. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Yet you choose not to play. Since you made a personal choice, everyone else needs to suffer. You said you read the updates so you knew the risks.

19. tc91101

tc91101 Avatar

I waited until a few weeks ago to start playing again. I don’t expect a wipe. If I leave a game for a long time and go back when a new xpack is released or something, I don’t expect a wipe. What’s the point anyway. There is way more to gain by having access to things you wouldn’t have accesss to in a fresh build. I can go to a player vendor for example and buy armor that wouldn’t exist for months otherwise for minimal coin. Anyway, to each their own I guess. You could try selling reward items on the players market of your adamant about leaving.

Elwyn and Thwip like this.
  20. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hi DocSinister,

First, welcome back to Shroud of the Avatar!

When we went persistence and Early Access, we did our best to reach out to our entire community and previous backers to ensure they knew what was going on. Our apologies that you did not receive these messages :(.

We understand the concern here, and you are right to feel a bit out of place coming to a world that's not 'fresh'. Please note though that there is a ton to do and catch up on that's perfectly balanced to other players, so you are not behind as much as you might think.

If you have any concerns about what you can do in the game now, please feel free to ask here. We have a great community here ready to help you get up to speed!

Olthadir, Thwip and Mac2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.