Launch Day +1 (L+1) Population Observations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bayard, Mar 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

Greetings Avatars,

Here are some quick population observations from yesterday, L+1.

Soltown had about 20 avatars in town last night. List Rostov was there. There were a few titled avatars, most were Outlanders and about 1/4 were Visitors.

The Outlander Welcome Center had as many as five new avatars, with one or two Visitors at one time in addition to the usual two or three concurrent residents.

I noticed between five-10 avatars on the overworld map on the Perennial Coast, most around Solace Bridge and Solace Bridge Outskirts. Solace Bridge Outskirts had about ten avatars and about 1/4 were Visitors.

This may not be the thousand of new players some had predicted, or hoped for, but it is a noticeable increase. How will we be doing a month or year from now? Who knows!

What are your population observations?

Edit: L+2 - Highvale Outskirts had 12 avatars with four Visitors and Resolute had 20 avatars with one Visitor.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Sara Dreygon, K1000 and Greyfox like this.
  2. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

Owlshead, yesterday, i was playing music in the main street and just saw 4 or 5 different players during an entire hour.

3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Traffic near brittany more than doubled. More to play songs for

4. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

The game is trending in the right direction. Increasing overland map speeds and double experience makes the experience more rewarding. Most gamers need to see progress for playing an hour or they move on. This game is niche at best, the danger is real in becoming so niche no one plays.

Sincerely hoping the trend of more rewarding game play leads to more people playing.

5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Im questing in Highvale Outskirts lots and lots of visitors over the past many hours now.

Rhiannon and discipleofweb like this.
  6. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I play in "Private"... So, I don't see anyone else... My guess is: most ppl are playing in Private, the days of being "forced" to play MP are over...

Sidorovich likes this.
  7. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Steamspy shows average of 420 or so the last couple days, which is up significantly from the average of 130 leading up to launch.

hroth, TranZdog and Elwyn like this.
  8. Sea Hunter

Sea Hunter Avatar

Not sure the game can survive on a 420 avg. It needs more press.

Derium likes this.
  9. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

I'm actually surprised that no one has started a thread yet linking to the press and reviews currently out there... there are definitely a few of them.

BulliedOutOfHisWits, hroth and Mykll like this.
  10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Right now Aerie has nine, other than my character, one a Visitor. Yes, Aerie. Though I guess it is the Blood River equivalent of Ardoris. When I see them start hanging around Westend, then things will get really interesting.

...and now it's 11 with 2 visitors.

Still, no signs yet of Novia splitting again like it did the night before release.

Note that this is a two-week event. This is mentioned in the logon messages. But I'm glad to see it, because double XP events are a common thing in MMOs, and now they've got their own working.

You still participate in the economy, unless you only sell everything to NPCs and craft all your own gear.

11. Sidorovich

Sidorovich Avatar

Well I play in private mode and bet I'm not alone.

Reason is not really that I don't wanna play with others per se but because I get abysmal framerate in multiplayer mode. No matter if I choose fastest or fantastic my framerate was bad. Then someone on steam forums mentioned how going private fixed his framerate issue and well, sure enough when I tried it it went from 10-30fps to solid 40-60fps. So now Im playing in private.

I don't mind at all thou! I'm having lot of fun playing it just as singleplayer RPG. Hell I play all MMOs like this really. I never stick around for endgame grind or anything like that. I just love exploring the world and doing quests (ye I know I'm really small minority since usually people like me just stick to regular RPGs and loathe MMOs and people who enjoy MMOs have that "game starts at endgame and leveling up is just boring filler" mindset). Well and questing and exploration in this game is just amazing to me! Not only compared to MMORPGs but lot of SP RPGs as well.

To me this game shaped up exactly how I imagined it when playing one of the very first releases (haven't played since). This extremely unique, janky RPG.
    I really never played RPG like this before.

12. Corv

Corv Avatar

Steam numbers more than tripled. Steam is about 25% of the overall population. Please also don't forget: those numbers are CONCURRENT players, not overall active players. So in my opinion the numbers look quite good. I think this weekend will be interesting.

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And truly with all the modes and instances it is difficult to know the numbers exactly. The only one to truly know is Portalarium. I know I am seeing a lot more activity and I try to make some effort to be seen since I have so many little projects I'm doing in Wizards Rest it is easy to stay in town if I'm not off doing things with friends. Like as mentioned I packed up and went to Novia Map to play some songs and I met a few very wonderful players who really had lots of questions. One I took home and chatted much of the night with. He had so many questions and was wandering all alone. That chat session made all the difference in the feel of the game for him he said.

So imo some efforts by players to come out of the alone mode helps the game even if it is just for a while to share a bit with others I feel it helps. This game is unlike most games because we have modes and while I understand wanting to play the game alone for your own reasons consider that there are players who need to know there are others playing too. It isn't something one would always have to do, but just sometimes. I do wish we had something in game that gave that indication like a heat map with dots of players you could pull up and if you pointed at the dots it would tell you the mode they are in at least. Then other players know there are players playing this game besides themselves. So many players are in their towns doing things and no one knows it unless they come to those towns. Anyway I'm not sure how this could work but it is something to think about like how to make it known players are playing?

14. Floors

Floors Avatar

I'm playing the quests for the first time and enjoying myself. I'm glad I waited instead of playing early, I was getting too frustrated during EA. This is enjoyable to level up in the early part of the game and it gots a nice Ultima vibe for me. The items are the best part of this game, they're done so well compared to game like Diablo. I did have my fair share of issues, but it's SoTA so I expected that. Also I'm on a Mac. I only play in Online mode, it's nice to see people doing quests along with me. Having a good time !

LiquidBlaze likes this.
  15. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I've noticed my nearby players list has increased significantly. No hard numbers captured but it's quite a bit larger.

Also my friends list hard really mushroomed with active players. Last night I had to scroll around to see everyone who was online :) Been a while since I've had to do that.

I even had some new Outlander follow me to a Tier 5 scene the other day. Had to help walk him over to some place less dangerous. BrightBone pass would have murdered him at his level :)

So far it looked to be improving. I've even noticed a number of advertisements appearing on several social media sites including Facebook. Nice!

16. AnabolicRAGE

AnabolicRAGE Avatar

One of the new players here...so far the game seems very legit to me. I didn't even know this was out there. I know i'm a scrub at this point, but there seems to be a big world with a good amount of content. I found a good bunch of dudes to play with who are looking out for me and I think joining a guild is apart of retaining new players. Coming from my point of view I think more people will definitely be joining up and the double xp is awesome for newer players to catch up.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  17. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

welcome to New Britannia... have a safe and fun adventure... :)

AnabolicRAGE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.