Ultima Online Like Recall Spell

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by CMDRVortex, Dec 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMDRVortex

CMDRVortex Avatar

I'm not sure if this feature exists but can you teleport around by marking runes like in UO?

2. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Most games have some form of recall and fast travel options. People appreciate the convenience. They aren't always available 100% of the time because they can short circuit game mechanics. Assume they will do something like this, but it will be more restricted than UO, because the game will have more structure.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

There'll be moongates, at the very least. Personally, I think that's enough... I don't think devs should cater too much to players on that. Although, as long as there's some reasoning around it and some cost to it, like with mark & recall in UO, I don't find it to be that bad... I just don't like things like wayshrines.

What do you all think about the way LOTRO does it, with a horse on auto-pilot until you tell it to stop?

Time Lord likes this.
  4. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I think it would be really cool to at least have a Kal Ort Por and/or a Rel Por spell. Dunno about Vas Rel Por. I'am unsure how gate travel would work in SotA with the dual scale map system.

5. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

If the game does have something like castle sieges (as per 2m stretch goal) then the logistics of moving 40-100+ people matters a ton. As I've mentioned in other posts, you don't want to force everyone to walk slowly down the one long fortified path through the front gate, but you don't want people to just teleport all over the map at will either. You want something which had a controllable number of options, one or more which may be unexpected. (One if by land, two if by sea, three if by moongate, etc.)

Time Lord and Arkhan like this.
  6. High Baron O`Sullivan

Castle sieges are going to be insanely awesome.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

You do realize there are a good number of people who either haven't played UO, or it's been so long they don't remember anything more than a vaguely warm-and-fuzzy-feeling at the magic words, to whom that post made absolutely zero sense....?

OSullivan likes this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

One thing though, if they do put in mark/recall, I hope they don't allow people to compile mark/recall books with lists of locations in them and charges. It sort of cheapens the whole thing, imo, makes it too much of a commodity.

Time Lord and majoria70 like this.
  9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

There is the over head map.

10. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

That was one of my favorite features of UO, that I have sorely missed in every other game I've played. >.> I think it is a FAR better option than the anonymous Dungeon Finder kind of crap. But the cold hard reality is, most people have at most an hour or two in a day to play a game like this. If you don't provide some system for them to be able to get to where they need to go, with a group, to go adventuring, they will quickly lose interest and leave. Things like recall books just leave it in the hands of the players themselves to discover/acquire where you can go, makes more sense in game-terms (Oops! last person joined the group! *poof from the middle of an RP scene*) and is a boon to the player economy as well.

11. High Baron O`Sullivan

Yes. I absolutely realize that. But there is also a good number of people who will never forget. That is whom I seek.

12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Maybe they could make gate/recall but also give them a chance to send them to random places. Would make it interesting sometimes to be gated to a place you have never been or could not access anytime via normal walking.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

Plus, I mean, we're all on the internet. Google it if you don't know what it means...

There should be magical travel spells. The game has magic in it. Not having this sort of thing would be nonsense.

docdoom77 and NRaas like this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Even for the benefits you're talking about, you could use individual rune stones, or even individual scrolls... would just be nice to be able to differentiate them, make them look different.

As for the player economy.. I don't think that's a good reason.. not everything in the game should be commodified and made about gold. You get to a point where magic becomes very cheapened, just because players want to make a buck off of it.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Maybe for the gate spell and not the recall spell, it would require more than one individual to open a rift. A recall spell would be a one person spell probably.

Time Lord and NirAntae like this.
  16. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I... guess I really just don't understand your objection, then...

17. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

At one point the Devs said there would be some sort of Gate spell; although this doesn't seem to have made the cut on the current released spell trees. Of course, I am still hoping that there will be some sort of ritualistic or multi-user spells which may not be part of the tree but require multiple casters and specific location/conditions/materials to cast.

I think it would be cool to have a gate spell, but it required 3 casters and took a while to cast to perform the ritual. This could be cast any where but the requirements would keep it from being abused or used in a common-place manner.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

Its that even if we were to need some easy way for players to travel and meet with groups, I think if you make it too easy and too commodified it makes magic in the game feel cheap, and travel feel cheap, and harms it as a role-playing game. When I played UO, there were houses with vendors standing outside barking about how for a few gold coins you could transport anywhere in the world, without having to actually step out of the city and explore the world at all. C'mon... Now, if you're in a guild and want to meet up with each other for some event, I don't really mind there being some way for you to do that, but I think it needs to be more subtle.

Time Lord and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Dual scale map was the word I was looking for.

Less painful travel: As much fun as it is to be able to occasionally just wander in the wilderness, in the long run, people generally prefer to be able to get around quickly and not have to spend an hour trying to figure out what the best way to get to the other side of the mountain is going to be. That is fun the first three times and a game exiting moment on the 23rd time. Because we’re not doing our quests as “run to this X on your radar”, there will be far more detective and foot work involved and not making that travel element a huge chore was important to not destroying the game flow.

Not sure if recall spells will be needed when you can move fairly quickly with the dual scale map.

Tarsilion likes this.
  20. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I run a recall rune house in Lake Austin in UO. So I support runes.

dontcounttoday and Olahorand like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.