No Wipe On Launch, Or Even For Years? You Guys Are Crazy.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Whiskiz, Apr 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whiskiz

Whiskiz Avatar

Returning player - i saw the game recently released and got roped back into playing it with my brother.

I see that not only was there no wipe on release but that there hasn't been one for years.

Once i saw that i lol'd, sat afk on the world map, then eventually logged out.

Peeps i used to play with (although awesome to see again) already 60+ GM, saying others 120+ GM. Absolutely 0 point me in playing - having to grind allll that from scratch in the hopes i can one day get back to that point, to be able to play with those peeps again, when half the community is already basically done with the game and have been done for a year or more.

You mofos are crazy, haha.

I get the whole argument of tester and backer loyalty (i was one of them) but shouldn't being able to play the game early, shaping it, being able to interact with and see devs at events ingame, having backer specific rewards and more, be loyalty enough?

Instead of also at the expense of alienating the new player community? How many times have you heard of not only not wiping on release, but years before?

There's a good reason for that.

I mean it's your guys choice of course, it's just when alienating the new player community to cater only to the early backers - don't be surprised when the games ends up only consisting of mainly said backers (who have played most of it already) and a trickle of new players.

Gl with that.

Edit: no-one said anything about PvP
    Edit 2: GMs are just a way of measuring how far into the game people are, how progressed and basically finished with the game they are already, it's not just about the GM themselves.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Wagram, Evadrepus, Magos and 13 others like this.
  2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

Perhaps there are some people that can find more to this game than having the most GMs.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello @Whiskiz. I'm sorry you didn't stay longer. There is double XP ATM for 2 weeks. I know new players who are adv level 70 after a few weeks of playing. To check your adventure level just point mouse cursor over your name on your paper Doll. Best wishes what ever you decide. I am Majoria in game if I can help.

King Robert, MasterWan and Weins201 like this.
  4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

You see he made a Feedback post about no wipe that was it, above is the gist of his reasoning yet

PvP was one reply - as the only reason to get powerful

the other which even though a valid one , which is one does not really need to be GMs in 20+ skills to play the game but the reply does nothing to address his concerns.

B
    U
    T

In order to just plain harvest items that are needed to make one actually become a part of the community and not just an afterthought are the simply issue.

Again the Niche player here just marginalize anyone who questions things , these are players who clearly already paid their share and now fell left out

he will not be back and the replies here do nothing to change his mind.

iansmellios and StrangerDiamond like this.
  5. Selene

Selene Avatar

Or you might find, you come to like us....

[​IMG]

6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

If the idea is to have the same number of xp and gm as the top players, its true itll take ages to catch up.

If the idea is to be able to do what they do in pve, takes a couple of months. Getting the equipment is the hardest part.

If your aim is to kill those people, learning to pvp actually takes longer than grinding the skills to do it.

Id argue that getting great gear (assuming it isnt given to you) takes longer than training your skills to a competative level

7. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

The reason people associated your post with PvP is, other then PvP, having skills super-high really isn't that important. (even there, beyond a certain threshold it only gives a marginal improvement.)

I don't know about your friends, but I find the super-high-level players I know tend to group with lower players so they can gain from the GMs. That's the only real reason for taking many things up that high. In my experience, just popping on guild-chat saying "anyone want to go hunting" and you can usually get a few people with GMs you can benefit from (edit: it may not be that way in all guilds. Just what my experience is).

It seems to me, rather then actually playing, you saw people higher level then you and just gave up. That's on you. The reality is, even if they did a wipe at release, in a short time there would be people massively ahead of newly entering players (you don't expect them to stop allowing new players, do you?). Therefore, if what you're saying really is a problem, we'd have to do a wipe every couple of years. While I've seen games that did regular wipes, it's not common because it limits progression and creates a natural point for saying "okay, I think it's time to move on."

8. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

Just noting that the learning to pvp line here is extremely misleading. There is *one* viable PVP build, and it involves three button pushes to one-shot anyone in the game. Four if an insane amount of luck lets them survive the first hit. You can have the gear for this, solo playing, in a month - faster if you no-life it.

Now, you might say things like "Where's the fun in that!?" or, "Not everyone plays that way!" to which I remind you that neither of these things matter in open world PVP. People PVP to win, and winners use everything they can to their advantage. You're either gonna use that build, or you're going to die to it over and over again.

If you don't like that, please, push for combat overhaul and re-balancing. PVP in this game is completely broken on every possible level.

9. UOAmethyst

UOAmethyst Avatar

You've missed the point of persistence and of the game if this keeps you from playing.

10. eli

eli Avatar

I deleted a long rant here... you're welcome. Here's the gist:

I don't think OP is saying he wants to join the 50+ GM club, but that trying to even visit the club seems futile due to the constantly moving target.

It's that seeming futility that we need to pay attention to, not individual anecdotes about playstyles. For the game to succeed, new players need to believe the game isn't rigged.

Also can't help but say this:
    It's not just about PvP. A PvE game where you feel like you're as useful as the next guy, or more useful because of your player-skill, is more rewarding than a game where you get your hand held.

11. MasterWan

MasterWan Avatar

@majoria70 is right. Sry for my insta dismissal. I just like this game a lot and I can pop off if people get super negative without even giving the game a real shot.
    There is a ton to this game, so much more than just whose the highest level. The journey is what makes this game great. Not the end game. End game and the “journey” will continue to get better and better each month. I’m excited to see where it goes. Since you bought, give it a real shot. You will probably be surprised.

12. Floors

Floors Avatar

I understand how you can feel like that but here's a couple points:

1.) If the players you mentioned aren't in the game because they've moved on, You have nothing to worry about. They aren't in the game. Just their houses. tThere are a ton of new players running around with starting clothes who are just beginning their journey. They're in the same boat as you. I've been watching them doing all the quests with me.

2.) All that stuff they accumulated took a real world Investment of time (and perhaps money) they could have spent doing something else. You have to respect that.

3.) I find what the players have been up to pretty inspiring. Some awesome stuff since I've been gone. Some awesome homes I've toured that have inspired me. Also some players have very reasonable prices on vendors, that can get you decent equipment pretty quick

4.) The game is just starting to get kinda good. It seems kinda dumb to quit now. I'm still playing and enjoying games from 20 and 30 years ago.

5.) We actually need players like you to balance out those that have hit endgame.

Tiki Pirate, Verit, Thwip and 2 others like this.
  13. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I just feel like in a game like this, having higher level players at launch was somewhat necessary considering this game mostly runs on player ran economy, and not high tier drops.

Elwyn and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  14. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

See it how you please :)

On the flip side, we have added at least 50 new people to our guild and we have set up over 25 of them in some inns that we have in our guild PoT where they can live and drop their stuff. We've also taken tons of them to the rise and rapidly leveled them.

You may be passing up a golden opportunity. When it comes down to it, having people with 50 GM's doesn't really effect you in any way but positive in a game like this (hint, its really not a competition). There is people who have been here since persistence playing thousands of hours who dont even have a GM yet.

Remember, you have 2x EXP in game right now.

15. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

With double XP you can be at the point were you can do end game content with a group in no time. I guess complaining is just easier.

Olthadir likes this.
  16. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

I strated a toon thursday, hs lvl 55+ already

17. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Realistically the only thing a wipe would achieve is freeing up property (which most people can't place deeds for anyway). It really wouldn't have the desired effect many are imagining. It would just make it a giant pain in the ass to do anything.

Tiina Onir likes this.
  18. Numa

Numa Avatar

http://sotawiki.net/sota/Persistence

Persistence was implemented in July 2016. There was a ton of (public) discussions and arguments about that. To this day I haven't seen any viewpoint or key point that didn't come up (and was debated to death) nearly 2 years ago.

It's moot and irreversible period. There are many more important things to worry about now that SOTA has launched.

Elnoth, Elwyn, hroth and 4 others like this.
  19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

That is pretty cool. How many hours into the new character? Where you running him with other higher level toons?

Numa likes this.
  20. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Bye Felicia....

Mishikal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.