Basic understanding of PVP & the Reasons it wont thrive here!

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Johnwick, Feb 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I sure hope that is not the big surprise. We already have lots of shardfalls. I was hoping for guild war revamping personally. A new scene is not a big pvp surprise.

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

it was that and housing on Blood Bay.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  3. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

How is it that LB wasnt aware of that, if all the players knew quite some time ago? Figured he was referring to something else.

4. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

But we always new blood bay was supposed to have housing. Its not really a surprise. :( So we got a new scene and new lots to place. Maybe they will implement sieze-able castles there that guilds can defend or something. That would be something to do with pvp.

Numa likes this.
  5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Imagine for a moment, how the 80+ % of us non-pvp backers felt about - the "big surprise" . :mad:
    Extremely disapointed would be an understatement.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Weins201 and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  6. Numa

Numa Avatar

What I'd like to know is if player housing in a PvP adventure area like Blood Bay cascades into further enhancements in the way territory is defined and held.

Can you erect a fort or palisade to defend or guard resources for example? Or have such a structure create a chokehold on a critical path or passage?

Johnwick and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

exactly. What I see happening is the largest guilds holding these lots. There is little advantage to lone wolf players to get a lot as they would be easy prey. It will just be a farming zone for the large guilds unless something like siege warfare and castle defense scenarios are in place. Fighting for territory and such.

eli, FrostII and Numa like this.
  8. Numa

Numa Avatar

This was the downfall of Albion Online. It's now a dead thread here in the games room forum. Hope that doesn't happen to the PvP scene in SOTA.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  9. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

I would definitely have to say the big surprise that took me from PvP novice to, well, a-several-times-killed-PvP-novice was the Blood Bay housing rather than the Quel Shardfall.

We had heard rumors of Blood Bay housing from @Vas Corp Por since January 2017 but details were scant - lot property would be 'dynamic' in placement, the opportunity to get housing/land rush was quest-driven involving kobolds, clockwork dragons, and mechanical parrots.

But the team got busy with other fundamental things (a good thing) and so it was pushed for 15 months... and it appears Atos realized that they would be inventing all these mechanisms for a one-off scene. The POT system is already flexible enough to handle a great deal of what they had envisioned to automatically do. So Portalarium became Dungeon Master and are handling things manually.

So far, days since Release Day seem to be:
    • Governor Harriote Hausen logs in when possible (and as passionate as the dev team is, particularly @Chris, she was in there both on Saturday and Sunday on Easter weekend!!);
    • Places NPC buildings (a magic merchant shop, a fishing shop, towne criers);
    • Dynamically places a reserved lot (row, village, town, and city so far, 53 in total);
    • Summons monsters, hides cache chests, crafts emergent quests, and calls out on /zone hints of what she's up to;
    • *BOOM* *CRASH* PvP and PvE antics to follow;
    • She at some point flips the reserved lot deed to open.
    I have only been killed (have not killed at all yet) a few times and stolen from once (have not yet thieved) - but I was the second Avatar to get a deed and it's all been fun. Even dying, kinda.

Consider:
    • It is a POT zone so there's no Decay from PvE
    • It is a PvP zone so there's no Decay from PvP
    • You are PvP flagged so you get the PvP XP Bonus
    • You have the amenities of a POT including crafting merchants, trainers, banks, etc.
    • You only need a POT deed to place - which are currently available from NPC merchants starting at 85 COTOs.
    • This is an incredible island to play in. Check out my latest screenshot in the screenshot contest! It's like the most incredible paintball facility you could ever think of!
    I think it's a brilliant solution to Blood Bay housing , as long as Harriote Hausen doesn't burn out!! :) I love the interactive questing and Dungeon Mastering. And I've taken my luck in grabbing a village lot to open an inn/prison basement (known as.. The Continental @Johnwick) offering free housing for anyone new to Blood Bay, with free access to vendors, remote bank device (heh), expert crafting stations, mailbox, and a fantastic view of the Bay.

So, yes, I was totally surprised and it engaged me in PvP for the first time. I think there are others like me too, judging from the stories I hear from the curiously loving (sometimes tough love) community we've started building between residents of the Bay.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  10. Numa

Numa Avatar

Just wait till the PvP guilds start placing chapterhouses in Blood Bay - then the fun will really start :)

Cordelayne likes this.
  11. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Already started happening... :)

Alleine Dragonfyre and Numa like this.
  12. Numa

Numa Avatar

Paging @Brass Knuckles :)

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  13. eli

eli Avatar

The OP touched upon whining like it's 100% unjustified, so i'll try to give my perspective about why I whine. Usually it's when all 3 of these are satisfied:

1. I'm out-gunned with lower skills because my tolerance for grinding is pretty low.
    2. I'm out-numbered because herding around ganging up on people is not fun for me.
    3. I get charged with an unreasonably large ransom.

pick any 2 of these, and i'm happy as could be.

If I lose to a high level and he takes my ransom, that is okay because i can take satisfaction from how i performed against him. If two lower-level avatars team up to take me down and take a ransom, they earned it because i should have at least had a chance against them. If i lose to two high levels and they don't claim ransom, it's boring but I could do it all day.

The combination of all 3 turns into a pointless exercise in masochism if i choose to participate.

I don't care about the executor's "satisfaction" or about seeking "revenge" because what happened was a functionally pre-determined and futile engagement. No one was challenged, no one became a better pvper. Someone saw there was a tip jar on the counter and decided to reach in, nothing more and nothing less.

StrangerDiamond, Spoon and Numa like this.
  14. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Needs to be fixed.

15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Lol on the whos who of pvp im at the bottom of the list. I promis you that, I spend most my time cowering stealthed looking out over my walls. Its way too scary out there in Bloodbay (well named).

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Spoon and Numa like this.
  16. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

17. Numa

Numa Avatar

I just realized that any guild chapterhouse
    in Blood Bay would have to be heavily fortified. As in a sturdy castle surrounded by high keep walls. Plus automated ballistas when those make it into the game :)

Yup, major investment of time and money. Maybe it's not the time yet.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  18. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Aye, my house is under constant assult by mangar. Tedio meteor showers it and camps it for hours. Had to put something larger than a row sizes house on it so I can survive the aoe attacks ;), it is great fun though.

Numa, hroth and Spoon like this.
  19. Numa

Numa Avatar

So let me get this straight - a row house will stop rain but not meteor shower?? Crazy!:confused:

liz_the_wiz, hroth and Brass Knuckles like this.
  20. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

Well i personally did not expect a pure pvp game, i make the game i want out of it, but where it started heading i knew there was not going to be the game i wanted. So expecting that is foolish, i see very few uo type things in game! This game is basically a facebook with rpg capabilities. And like second life or the sims where you would have avatars. Its basically a dress up andvemoye game, but i do wish pvp would be better than it is. For all the reasons i mentioned prior to this. In ending my expectations were right on point. Facebook w/avatars and emote ninjas and dance parties, definately far from what i expected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.