1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Post Episode 1 Content Plans (aka the 2 year plan)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

While Mykll's post is an extreme, there are still valid questions about, if something is considered a "stand alone" episode with new areas, how is it gated? If someone comes along to buy Episode 4 for $40 or whatever, are they getting Episodes 1-3 for free? That's how a traditional MMO would do it, right? But they call those expansions. This is supposed to be a full game. If the new buyers get the old lands/quests for free, why wouldn't the existing players get the new lands/quests for free? Is this another example of over-eager development designs that didn't have further thought put into them before they were presented?

Maybe we can get a response from @DarkStarr or @Lord British on how they expect the new and old content to be presented/gated.

Bubonic and Numa like this.
  2. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

@DarkStarr

Can I ask if you could do check offs on this list of items that have been completed, and any new items added to the list? Thanks!

rpgmaniac82 likes this.
  3. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Please two really important points that you really should consider adding to this plan:

- fix the AI. Enemies shouldn't run and stay into area of effect spells like fire ring and meteor shower. They should be able to use two decks like we do (melee/ranged ; magic/melee ; ranged/magic). Humanoid and living enemies should patrol and not stand in the place. Bandits should have schedule, like every humanoid NPC living in a city (sleeping, eating, etc...). Enemies should adopt more tactics (and not run after every outlander in packs like they do now). That would fix the AOE spells domination in the mean time.

- fix the spells interaction. Using douse/soothing rain with fire field/immolation should create a cloud shield (damage avoidance bonus or something and cancel douse and fire field). Using air attack spells on watered enemies should cancel the slowing debuff but increase the air spells damages (or the stunning effect). Fire field used with ice shield should cancel each other and create a vapor field which blind everyone.

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What about the Looking for Group feature and a gear mannequin (a nice way to display those armor sets)? These are both thing that you all have said are coming but I don't see them in your plan.

5. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Avatar

Can't believe I missed this announcement. Guess that is the price you pay for taking several months off from playing and not taking the time to peruse the forums.
    A lot of great reading here as one would expect. My favorite would have to be:

More POT Templates:
    • Urban: Denser city style template
    • Underground: more variants
    • Floating City: Built in the style of Isle of Storms
    • Mountain Port City......................I spent the better part of 2 year designing and dreaming about this one. I hope and pray that we can have some input on the template design when the time comes.

[​IMG]

While this design was never expected to be the end result, It was/is my best rendition of what I had hoped would become the coolest port city in the game .

I think I will know go back to the drawing board and see if I can't bring this concept port city a little bit more up to date reflecting all the things we have learned about the player owned town system over the last couple years and maybe add in some of what one might hope to see in the next round of developments in the coming year(s). :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  6. Dominor666

Dominor666 Avatar

What about the Looking for Group feature

shhhh they don't like that question

7. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Perhaps I missed it, but are we still thinking of adding brew making to the game? Avatar Beer perhaps? I was under the impression that Avatars from the Kickstarter we would be able to make our own Alcohol at a certain pledge level.

Somebody has to ask and keep these thirsty Outlanders hydrated :)

8. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Yes, but it's going to be delayed until post-release.

Sentinel2 likes this.
  9. Alana Baran

Alana Baran Avatar

Please, for the love of god don't waste your time on this useless nonsense. Crafting mini games are annoying at best.
    Put X number of new items and recipes in the game instead. SotA is still extremely lacking in equipment variety.

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

They will continuously add things. We will still have releases and episodes way after this game has launched. Nothing has to be chosen either or.

edited

Ok I'm a little bit more awake now to elaborate on this. So imagine if you are crafting a fine piece of armor and about to get a failure on it. your heart misses a beat and you know your gonna lose all those hard earned resources all in one click. Your only reward will be 9 - 40 metal scraps. How do you feel then? Now what if you had an opportunity to do a little repair of the item before it failed. It may not be the quality that you were hoping for but it will not be a total waste either. So a pop up says ****What do you want to do**** and gives options like:

add 1 ore to reinforce breakage
    Add 1 water to hydrate before failure
    Add 1 wax to give pliability to item
    Add glue or reinforcement type of item
    Add more salt or sugar

Now these are quick examples of what could be and what happens after those choices at least gives you a choice and you can have some responsibility in the choice, not just the game. Making inferior armor could be a viable thing to do and then we could go from there with all kinds of possibilities.

I understand that what you want Alana Baran is what I want too. I want much more of everything and I too want better crafting in this game. That's what I meant by no either or, we just get it all ;)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  11. Jayfire

Jayfire Avatar

Yes I agree mini-games were going to be a way of adding skill to crafting, in addition doing well on a mini-game was suppose to beable to add extra bonuses or abilities to gear. I think it will make the gear much more unique from piece to piece and crafter to crafter. I think this is necessary and something that was promised in kickstarter that made many of us excited about crafting and the many unique and different possibility's. I have been waiting for this for a long time in addition to, making player made gear go into the loot tables to be found while adventuring, weapons or armor getting a bonus after having been worn killing x (elves, bears, wolves, demons, dragons, and et.) amount of whatever and getting a legendary slayer bonus on the gear or defense increase against whatever type. Also been waiting to name my gear.... like as a crafter if I make something epic I want to give it a unique name, especially if it goes into the loot table it would make it more meaningful.

12. Alana Baran

Alana Baran Avatar

Of course they'll add more things. The problem is, they're a small team and their limited time would be better allocated elsewhere. As other people have said, treasure hunting is still not a thing etc.
    You might "get it all" if SotA survives long enough - if so, the question that remains is when. There's entirely too much work that has to be done on the game and i don't see their production crew growing too much in the foreseeable future.

And no, my heart will never skip a beat because of crafting. I've played enough Lineage 2 where I've had days worth of work taken away from me in one click.
    The example you've given is basically glorified RNG, which every crafting mini game ever has been and will be. While they're fun for the first ~5 times, they quickly just become a nuisance that you have to deal with.
    (There's a reason why they're not seen much in RPGs anymore.)

I don't mind RNG, in fact, there should be more risk involved in creating high end equipment - I just don't see the point in creating a fluff system for it.

But that's just my opinion and to each their own : ) You'll be getting your minigames with me not liking it anyway =)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Mishikal and Steevodeevo like this.
  13. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Besides waiting to see how soon ships can sail and do battle (big possibility for port to make money via sales of ships and water based city/town deeds), I have a suggestion for the next land mass.

How about EP 2 land mass being the old Sosaria (original UO map). If there are legal implications then the old map can be tweaked a bit and the names of the towns can have a "New" as part of the town name. I.e. New Minoc, New Trinsic, etc.

This could bring in a lot more old UO players on board and boost Sota sales.

14. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

You mean Britannia? The U9 version of the continent is already on the world map. I made an animated gif several years ago. I only guessed on placement of one, I think. The others are pretty obvious.

[​IMG]

15. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Yes, that is the one and it would take minimal effort for Port to add it unless there are legal rights owned by EA from when it was sold to them. This could bring in extra players that either played Última online or heard about it. It could merge the failed UO2 project with SOTA.

16. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

There are certainly copyrights that transferred to EA, which are pretty much everything except Richard's pendant design and several things that existed prior to Ultima. New Britannia is essentially Sosaria from U3, so he's getting around it somehow.

I want to say that there might have been a handshake deal where they would let him borrow more liberally without contesting it, as long as he didn't talk bad about their Ultima Forever mobile project that was in the works the first year or whatever of SotA. That's just me reading between the lines though.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  17. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I'm still holding onto the hope that EA decides to sell it back to Richard.

lolo21 and Cordelayne like this.
  18. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Neat, I love maps. But this also makes the squared off landmass we currently have look even more weird. Just looks so out of place. What opinions could be at the southern pole?

19. Floors

Floors Avatar

I doubt it. It's probably more like there's not enough money in it for the lawyers yet.

Numa likes this.
  20. Numa

Numa Avatar

The most likely scenario imo is that when SOTA is a success (in EA's eyes) that EA will try to revive UO in some way. It makes logical business sense from their point of view.

That EA will do RG or SOTA any favors from the goodness of their heart is -frankly- wishful thinking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.